5 - Carles Puyol

Barcafan 2304

Hate to keep saying it but there were a couple of times when the lack of pace in the centre-half pairing was exposed. It is a weakness

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Hate to keep saying it but there were a couple of times when the lack of pace in the centre-half pairing was exposed. It is a weakness

It's true, it was a weakness to a point but consider that it took a great pass from Wesley and a super pacy player in Robben for it to unlock a typically stout central pair in Pique & Puyol...Plus, let's face it, Spain were playing so high up the pitch with the Dutch sitting behind the ball, getting beat on that kind of ball could happen regardless of the speed of Puyol

I'm sure I'm not alone but the last thing I think of with the pair of Puyol & Pique is weakness

J

JamesFoster

Fernando Hierro was literally the man of Iron.
I think Puyol should have be called Leon at birth. This guy always plays with the heart of a Lion.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
sad for him!? He is retiring after being an integral part of a WC winning side!! How many would find!?

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
If it is true, then it's the exactly moment for him... he's retire WC and EC... that's not for everyone...

barca96

i dont think there are any quality CB to replace him.
perhaps manchena. but manchena is getting old too.
only left with madird pair albiol and arbeloa.
they are good, but nowhere near world class yet

maxan10

SirTugAlot
Puyol notices that his pace is diminishing and I think his solid partnership with Puyol aside, something can be conjured up, Albiol or Ramos with Arbeloa rb, etc, it would still spell a winning formula.

Home of Barca Fans