Javier Saviola

xavisionary

My old post was pretty tongue in cheek, but I did genuinely rate Saviola. Averaged nearly a goal every other game for Barcelona, and 20 give or take in his 3 first seasons. Not quite worthy of a :worthy: but top class all the same.

Messi983

Well, he signed for Madrid after we send him on loan for two seasons and then didn't renew his contract to try and prove us wrong but didn't exactly succeed. They've also offered him some crazy money IIRC.

Also, La Masia cultists don't really complain as it was Laporta who signed him. If it was Bartomeu I'm sure they would mention he's signing a traitor or something, lol.

khaled_a_d

Well, he signed for Madrid after we send him on loan for two seasons and then didn't renew his contract to try and prove us wrong but didn't exactly succeed. They've also offered him some crazy money IIRC.

Also, La Masia cultists don't really complain as it was Laporta who signed him. If it was Bartomeu I'm sure they would mention he's signing a traitor or something, lol.

tbf it is good we aren't holding a grudge.
Saviola situation was close to the current overpaid players and he wanted to stay in city of Barcelona by going on loan, to Espanyol but we refused after initial agreement.
He left after end of contract as we didn't want him anyway, and RM was obviously best offer.
I just don't like it happening in a coaching capacity for youth player. I prefer some guys with no such asterisk in their cv.
Just like I would love Valdes coming back, just not as youth coach.

Messi983

You're right. Yeah, he left for Madrid but it's not like he's a real traitor like Pigo for example. At least not in my eyes.

I've read one of the reasons we've brought him back is he's close to Xavi although won't really work together in a role he has.

And another one is he's apparently quite highly regarded as a coach which is really all that matters. If club thinks he is/will be a good coach then why not give him a chance because of something that happened 15 years ago? He can maybe replace Oscar Lopez if/when he decides to move on to pursue professional career outside of Barca and maybe potentially also become a Barca B coach in a few years. Barca as a club should concentrate not only on developing players but coaches as well. You never know when we'll need them.

Also agreed about VV, I think his character is a bit too questionable to be a youth coach. Would like to see him back as a first team GK coach though. Pretty sure he could teach MATS a trick or two.

Home of Barca Fans