Ronald Koeman

fergus90

To be fair, Koeman has been linked with Barcelona several times over the last 15 years regardless of how well or poorly he was doing at different clubs.

He seems more akin to managing cup competitions, probably why he's doing well with the Netherlands NT where he can rely upon and call the same 14-15 players time and time again.

Of course, it boils down to the same thing that had he not been a Barcelona legend, he would never be considered based on his CV. I guess the gamble is that he knows Barca as a club so it might work there where it hasn't in other places.

Koeman to me seems like a very assured, strong character and it either works well (Eredivise, NT) or goes crashing down in flames (Everton, Valencia, Benfica, AZ Alkmaar). I know a few Evertonians hated him more for his persona at first rather than the football. Only in the second season when he got to recruit players did it really go wrong for him on the pitch too.

Birdy

People need to stop this shit with implying managers are being forced to play certain players. If Koeman really was forced to play certain players then he wouldn't be treating Riqui Puig like he got the plague considering how much people in Barcelona seem to like Riqui.

Lucho dropped Pique and Alba when he saw it fit and even started Busquets and Rakitic on the bench at times. Koeman himself decided to start Pique and then put Roberto in wherever he wanted. Probably valued their experience too much when he saw the chance of winning La Liga and got burned by it badly. It's his own fault.

Imagine thinking Ronald fucking Koeman would get pressured into doing shit he doesn't want. Have any of you followed his career and how petty and strict Koeman can be?

LOL
You are comparing Riqui to Pique? How?
Koeman can do what he wants with Puig as Puig has no stature at the club, unlike Pique.

Yes, his character is as you describe it, but that applies only within his domain of authority and not outside of it.
He is a clever man to understand what he can do and which player he can touch, which he cannot.
Pique as a starter when trophies are at stake is beyond koeman's authorty.
It's sad, but it's true

Perhaps you need to read more Setien's interviews after his dismissal describing the power dynamic in the locker room

PS: Again invalid comparison with Lucho.
Lucho had balls, but Pique Alba and co were all regulars and part of the team that lifted trophies.
Completely different task to phase them out than to bench them now and then just to motivate them

Last edited:

Porque

If he is gone, then he didn't really give us alot of choice.

There were positives but when the key moments come, the subs, the tactics, the player management, the selections and in the end the results were all lacking. A big shame because with just a little more wisdom he would have been a success.

tenor.gif

Gaudi

My problem with the old guard is that they have become loosers. Simply speaking mental midgets. I have a lot of question for Koeman and he is obviously not a top coach, but when you see how we lost the title, even a monkey on the bench shouldn't be a problem. That was mental breakdown, and it happens all the time pressure is on. All those losses gainst Lpool, Bayern, Roma destroyed, obviously already, fragile mentality of our stars. That's why I still can't get over Alba crying in the locker room after first half in Lpool.

FinBarcelonafan

My problem with the old guard is that they have become loosers. Simply speaking mental midgets. I have a lot of question for Koeman and he is obviously not a top coach, but when you see how we lost the title, even a monkey on the bench shouldn't be a problem. That was mental breakdown, and it happens all the time pressure is on. All those losses gainst Lpool, Bayern, Roma destroyed, obviously already, fragile mentality of our stars. That's why I still can't get over Alba crying in the locker room after first half in Lpool.

I can't believe they don't have professional mental game teacher working for them or the organisation

Birdy

That's a fair point.
Laporta has to think how to resolve this

FinBarcelonafan

That's a fair point.
Laporta has to think how to resolve this

Let the past be past and move on from Alba, Busi, Pique, Messi etc.

They gave us glory years but those years are behind us now. Time to build something new with new players. Yes, it will suck short-term but we are not any better in this moment. (Max. Mediocre team in CL. )

Gaudi

Let the past be past and move on from Alba, Busi, Pique, Messi etc.

They gave us glory years but those years are behind us now. Time to build something new with new players. Yes, it will suck short-term but we are not any better in this moment. (Max. Mediocre team in CL. )

Exactly, to be honest that was huge suprise to me, that WC, euro champs, CL and many La Liga winners had so fragile mentality.
Unfortunately we missed precious time to phase out slowly some players and add new blood, now we have to do it rapidly.

FinBarcelonafan

Exactly, to be honest that was huge suprise to me, that WC, euro champs, CL and many La Liga winners had so fragile mentality.
Unfortunately we missed precious time to phase out slowly some players and add new blood, now we have to do it rapidly.

Yeah it's weird. I guess earlier in their career they didn't get used to losing or dealing with losses and now they crack down under any small pressure. Truly weird.

Devils

Barca DNA means Depression n' Anxiety these days.

To be fair, Koeman has been linked with Barcelona several times over the last 15 years regardless of how well or poorly he was doing at different clubs.

He seems more akin to managing cup competitions, probably why he's doing well with the Netherlands NT where he can rely upon and call the same 14-15 players time and time again.

Of course, it boils down to the same thing that had he not been a Barcelona legend, he would never be considered based on his CV. I guess the gamble is that he knows Barca as a club so it might work there where it hasn't in other places.

Koeman to me seems like a very assured, strong character and it either works well (Eredivise, NT) or goes crashing down in flames (Everton, Valencia, Benfica, AZ Alkmaar). I know a few Evertonians hated him more for his persona at first rather than the football. Only in the second season when he got to recruit players did it really go wrong for him on the pitch too.

This is always going to be a case with certain managers who have previous histories with a club as a player.

No top club, other than Fc Barcelona, would hire a manager who has had as many failures of their resume as Koeman had. It just doesn't make any sense.

There are 3 options for the TOP CLUBS in football:

1) Hire the best managers in the world I.e. Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, Simeone
2) Hire a (young) new promising manager i.e. Pep (10 years ago at Barca) Lucho, Zidane, Nagellsmann, Ole, Kovac, Flick, Pirlo, Ten Haag, Pochettino - This is usually high risk/high reward and as seen can have big success or catastrophic failure.
3) Hire an experienced (Older) manager who has done well at lower to mid clubs and looks to be ready for the next step i.e. Valverde, Sarri, Pellegrini, Mancini, Conte etc...

These are the only 3 options and have been the models for success in football and Koeman fits into neither of these.

There was no rationale for hiring him. His CV shows it through had through.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Since when is Tuchel so highly rated as one the best? His tenure at both Dortmund and PSG can't be lauded as that much of a success, right?

delancey

I have the feeling that Laporta criticized Koeman?s rotation policy at their luncheon last week, resulting in Koeman playing Puig and Pjanic against Celta Vigo. I gather neither performed well, which was sort of a finger to Laporta for insisting that the benchwarmers play more.
All silly speculation, of course.

On a side note, did anyone see Pjanic?s face before coming on? *shocked*

malvolio

Since when is Tuchel so highly rated as one the best? His tenure at both Dortmund and PSG can't be lauded as that much of a success, right?

could very well end up this season empty handed. can't see him tearing it up next season and abramovich will likely fire him.

so it's all or nothing for that CL win or at least the CL spot.

Home of Barca Fans