Ronald Koeman

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Xavi has 0 incentive of going to another club to 'prove' himself. He's already been offered the Barca job by Bartomeu and Font. He knows that if he waits patiently, he'll get it sooner or later, especially if Koeman is sacked.

Which is pretty bad tbh. It feels like Xavi is already at the top of the list of successors. He's not had to fight (managerially) to get there and proven to be the best candidate by showing what he's achieved. He's rather there thanks to his playing career and people hoping he'll turn out to be the next Pep.

I would rather make the rebuild with xavi than koeman.

BBZ8800

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION], there seems to be a pattern where the best managers are former midfielders. And when you say central midfielder, Xavi is probably the greatest of them all.

I'm not saying that he's for sure gonna be Guardiola 2.0, but the foundation is there, and we need to give him the chance to show what he can do. Especially now, considering that it's impossible to sign any of the 4-5 best managers in the world.

About central midfielders, I agree.
But the other factor which fell on my mind is: character/charisma/leadership.

Xavi and Iniesta personality wise looked like two blandest guys on planet, who were on the other hand, Goat footballers.

Capello, Sir Alex, Pep, Mou, Zidane, Cruyff = they were all charimatic, rebelious, had a fighting spirit and often had some asshole traits in them.

Xavi for now looks as bland Barca DNA midfielders (Puig for example): good at technique, below par in all other ingredients.

Pep was a vocal leader on the pitch and he is a master, asshole and a fighter as a coach.
Sir Alex threw a boot at Beckham's head in a locker room.
Mou is a GOAT of assholes.
Zidane used to headbutt players during matches and always had in overal that asshole look in the eyes.
Capello used to yell at players, refs and kicking benches during matches.

Xavi's personality is a textbook exampe of everything what is wrong with Barca on away CL matches when we play like choirboys.

Let's see whether he can be the first choirboy coach who will lead a club to the heights.
With heights, I expect more than La liga titles, where 85% matches are againsts Getafe level of opponents.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
It's tough to be regarded as one of Spain and Barca's proper leaders and not be charismatic.

I don't know how you can call out Xavi for being a choir boy and being bland lol. I can understand Iniesta since he was mostly quiet, but when shit got bad in the Spain camp and between Barca and Real Madrid it was Puyol & Xavi talking with Casillas to settle shit down.

Xavi was also quite vocal on the pitch.

Being aggressive and abusive is not equal to being a fighter or charismatic. Zidane not being able to restrain himself might have cost France a WC and I bet he regret doing it if you asked him now.

Last edited:

serghei

About central midfielders, I agree.
But the other factor which fell on my mind is: character/charisma/leadership.

Xavi and Iniesta personality wise looked like two blandest guys on planet, who were on the other hand, Goat footballers.

Capello, Sir Alex, Pep, Mou, Zidane, Cruyff = they were all charimatic, rebelious, had a fighting spirit and often had some asshole traits in them.

Xavi for now looks as bland Barca DNA midfielders (Puig for example): good at technique, below par in all other ingredients.

Pep was a vocal leader on the pitch and he is a master, asshole and a fighter as a coach.
Sir Alex threw a boot at Beckham's head in a locker room.
Mou is a GOAT of assholes.
Zidane used to headbutt players during matches and always had in overal that asshole look in the eyes.
Capello used to yell at players, refs and kicking benches during matches.

Xavi's personality is a textbook exampe of everything what is wrong with Barca on away CL matches when we play like choirboys.

Let's see whether he can be the first choirboy coach who will lead a club to the heights.
With heights, I expect more than La liga titles, where 85% matches are againsts Getafe level of opponents.

I disagree with the comparison between Xavi and Iniesta. These guys are very different in my opinion. I think what you refer usually to a "schoolboy" mentality, that's Iniesta, but not Xavi. On the contrary, Xavi comes across as more arrogant and disrespectful to other cultures outside of Barcelona. That's why Madrid fans hate Xavi for example.

I don't think you have Xavi's personality very well figured out personally. For example, he angrily pushed Neymar on the bus parade when he was trying to fool around. He's no schoolboy, but more of a leader. The last true captain we had.

"They were trying to take my shoes off and were pushing me when I was standing on the edge of the bus. I told them to stop messing around and to focus on the fans, since the parade is for them. It's alright to have three or four beers, but the parade is for the supporters, to thank them, and you can't just be in your own world". That's a captain speaking right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJKTZKmHuE4

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Schoolboy/choirboy mentality Iniesta was also one of the most clutch players in football history. Unlike others he managed to show up without getting himself sent off or making one of your best players leave because you kicked a shoe in their face.

I think Busquets fits that thing better.

serghei

Schoolboy/choirboy mentality Iniesta was also one of the most clutch players in football history. Unlike others he managed to show up without getting himself sent off or making one of your best players leave because you kicked a shoe in their face.

I think Busquets fits that thing better.

Yes, but we're not talking about his football influence here.

fergus90

Xavi is the polar opposite of a Choir boy he's a natural leader and always had plenty to say throughout his playing career too.

serghei

Had to squeeze that in there before the argument becomes: "asshole footballers were also better footballers".

Yea, fair enough. But it's an interesting discussion whether a very respectful good-guy type would face extra difficulties when dealing with large groups of different characters. I think it's possible.

Home of Barca Fans