Ronald Koeman

Slevinn

imagine Roberto Martinez 'leading the new project'? WTF?

Laporta, pull yourself together man.
Just wondering, why would that be such a bad thing? He has proven with our NT that he thinks LT since day one.
He isn?t a tactical mastermind but he found the best system for his best players quite fast and plays super attacking against team that are worse. Against big teams he uses the counter more (even then he is using Thorgan Hazard or Carrasco as WB)
He isn?t afraid to start young players in important games (Doku starting instead of Carrasco vs Italy for example.

While he isn?t afraid to drop players when they don?t perform anymore, I?m not sure if he would bench Busquets and Pique because he values a good vibe in the locker room.

I?m not saying that he should be our first candidate but I find it normal that he is one of the names being mentioned.

Birdy

Just wondering, why would that be such a bad thing? He has proven with our NT that he thinks LT since day one.
He isn?t a tactical mastermind but he found the best system for his best players quite fast and plays super attacking against team that are worse. Against big teams he uses the counter more (even then he is using Thorgan Hazard or Carrasco as WB)
He isn?t afraid to start young players in important games (Doku starting instead of Carrasco vs Italy for example.

While he isn?t afraid to drop players when they don?t perform anymore, I?m not sure if he would bench Busquets and Pique because he values a good vibe in the locker room.

I?m not saying that he should be our first candidate but I find it normal that he is one of the names being mentioned.

Well, the fact that he won't bench Busi and Geri is enough of a reason.

Then, he does not have the profile IMO to lead the project of Barca. I don't see any previous work where I can see outcomes that resemble what this team needs in terms of both football and results. A good year at Everton, and a good year at Wigan, at club level should not be enough
Compare with what Ten Haag has to show at club level.

NTs are different story and it's really hard to assess the whole of an NT manager and transpose it into hypothetical club-level work.

In his case, I am not sure he utilized the best generation of Belgium players to their highest potential.
That semi-final loss against France was disheartening. France under Deschamp is bad, offers only a low defensive block. There was no tactical tinkering and improvisation to find solutions, when players like prime Hazard, De Bruyne and Lukaku were available.
Well, the qualifaction vs Brazil and vs Japan, were lucky enough to begin with
That's just one game, but in general Belgium seems to thrive in low-pressure situations (groups) and disappoint when the big games come

MAybe you have followed him more closely on his NT work, and wanna object to the above

Mateka

This might cheer somebody up:

Barcelona are preparing to part ways with head coach Ronald Koeman, with Belgium boss Roberto Martinez the "preferred option" to replace the Dutchman. (Goal)

However, Barcelona president Joan Laporta has not given up on trying to lure Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola back to the Nou Camp. Guardiola, 50, led Barca to three Spanish league titles and two Champions Leagues during his four-year spell in charge between 2008 and 2012. (El Nacional - in Spanish)

Or is it rumour upon rumour spread by the media for hungry fans?

Last edited:

Rassvet

Setien could actually have been a decent option for us right now. The circumstances are much more suited to him than they were when he was hired.

gasgas

Meh option

Why not just get Eric ten haag

iniestaGOAT

This man is the easy scapegoat as mediocre as he is... We can't fire players, we can't kick out the president, so let's pin it on him...

Like hiring a top coach is going to make De Jong faster, or Braithwaite is going to start banging goals left and right, or Busquets and Garcia are going to learn to defend, or Dembele and Umtiti are going leave the infirmary one day, or Coutinho is going to show some balls...

The only thing a new coach will do is buy Laporta some time, serve as an excuse for a new project and and a plea for patience to the fans...

Ok then let's not sack him and let's watch 50 crosses every game for rest of for season.

Barcilliant

Martinez is absolutely the wrong coach for us. To coach a big club you need a big personality. Yes, you need tactical ability to but man management and balls are pre requisites. Martinez has not even done anything with a very talented Belgium team. They should have won the Euros or been in the final at least. I am not in favor of Xavi but I would take him over Martinez anyday.
We should just hire someone like Pimienta till the end of the season. This will buy us time and then we can move for a Marco Rose, Ten Hag or even Rogers.

Raketa10

Martinez is absolutely the wrong coach for us. To coach a big club you need a big personality. Yes, you need tactical ability to but man management and balls are pre requisites. Martinez has not even done anything with a very talented Belgium team. They should have won the Euros or been in the final at least. I am not in favor of Xavi but I would take him over Martinez anyday.
We should just hire someone like Pimienta till the end of the season. This will buy us time and then we can move for a Marco Rose, Ten Hag or even Rogers.

Marco who??? :lol: Rogers is probably Martinez level or only slightly better and so is Ten Hag. None of those is a top class manager. Regarding Martinez, he led Belgium NT to the 3rd place in Russia and that's a success regardless what you think about that.

Some of you need to realize that we can't get a big name right now and we won't be able to change that next summer. Probably none of the top tier managers will be available. This is the reason I prefer Xavi to take over. It's a huge gamble but if he succeeds we could have a coach for the next 10 years.

Last edited:

Rory

Rodgers is levels above Martinez, Koeman and Xavi. Has taken a weak liverpool squad to near premier league victory. Moved them to a much higher place. Has won trophies at Leicester and consistently challenging for ucl spots, even the premier league at certain times. Makes good signings without splashing silly money on players that actually fit the profile the team needs and that he can improve.

Would have him here in a heartbeat.

Raketa10

Rodgers is levels above Martinez, Koeman and Xavi. Has taken a weak liverpool squad to near premier league victory. Moved them to a much higher place. Has won trophies at Leicester and consistently challenging for ucl spots, even the premier league at certain times. Makes good signings without splashing silly money on players that actually fit the profile the team needs and that he can improve.

Would have him here in a heartbeat.

Weak Liverpool??? WTF? He had a prime Suarez and Gerrard in that team together with few other great players. That team was definitely strong enough to compete for the title that year. Furthermore, the level of Premier league 7-8 years ago was far below the level we are witnessing today. Back than the best football was definitely played in Spain.

Gaudi

We are again going to debate is this player good, is this one fast, slow, clumsy...another coach who will add nothing, change nothing and just be here to improve his CV

Home of Barca Fans