Ronald Koeman

kattanib

Pique, Pedro, Busquets were nowhere near world class before Pep. Abidal can be argued, and a lot of players that played a lot of minutes, like Maxwell, Keita, Adriano etc.
Check a list of wingers he used (with success) in some games and where they ended up after and say again that he only used world class players... Jeffren, Cuenca, Tello etc.

Jeffere played at RB in some games but Pep knew how to get the best out of him. I miss that guy, he was a tremendous manager and still is

Bobo32

Pep had Xavi, Messi, Etoo, Henry (or did he buy him?) and Puyol I believe which is a great foundation

He then had the very promising Iniesta and the board backed him up in signing young promising Pique and Dani Alves

Today Koeman has Messi, Busquets, Griezman, Alba and Stegen and the promising Pedri/Fati

Koeman is also trusting youngsters and introducing them aka Busquets and Pedro back then

Last thing Koeman needs is the board to support him in buying his players

Henry was bought the year before, and used in a very limited role by Pep (where Henry got some space and fooled some people into believing he was great, he was shit at Barcelona)
Pep neglected Eto'o for whatever reason and wanted to get rid of him. Eto'o performed a GOAT season and was rightly angry at Pep, but I guess Pep wasn't wrong.

Yeah Pep had a foundation, there is a foundation now as well.
Koeman wanted Pedri out but later fell in blind love with him, I don't think he has preferred many other young players in front of older ones apart from that.

serghei

Koeman is the best case of football implosion I've seen recently. Simeone was close to beat him and come up with the big bang himself, but nope, Koeman takes it in the end.

The team did well this season, until he started to forget some players existed and overplayed the same players + used some washed-up veterans who were last relevant years ago. All of which came from injuries, and one of which is unsure if he has one functioning knee.

Koeman said yesterday that he and the team demanded respect, only for him to say This squad doesn't have the level we want at Barca today.

It's true this squad isn't great but it's ironic the guy rushed to play Pique and Roberto when they were remotely fit and nowhere near good enough to play in the crucial part of the season. Guy basically sabotaged what made things finally click.

He made things click by accident. If he had everybody fit, we'd have seen a lot more of Pique, Roberto, and Coutinho. The guy is trying to tell us we didn't beat Granada, Levante, and Celta, because our squad is not good enough? :lol: How stupid is that. Messi's wage per year is more than the whole budget of those teams.

Sorry, if the circumstances were different, then sure, maybe that was the problem. But, the thing is, we lost the title because he fucked up against the small teams exactly when you can't do it, in the end of the season where every point counts.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
It's a pity.

Got 2-3 chances to win the league, but squandered all of them. Obviously the squad is more culpable, but Koeman is culpable himself as well and it's not like he has proven to be a good coach from his previous jobs or someone to give a second chance after such a meltdown. The Dutch NT doesn't count since NT Football and Club Football is almost like two different type of games.

I would have thought he still would have a chance of continuing next season, but his comments seem to suggest he believes he's gone.

serghei

It's a pity.

Got 2-3 chances to win the league, but squandered all of them. Obviously the squad is more culpable, but Koeman is culpable himself as well and it's not like he has proven to be a good coach or someone to give a second chance after such a meltdown.

I would have thought he still would have a chance of continuing next season, but his comments seem to suggest he believes he's gone.

Equal share squad + manager for me. We lost this league because we wasted too many points against small teams, even when time to afford this luxury was well over. That can't be on the squad.

It was a weak league campaign where we could have won it if we didn't fuck up so often against the smaller sides.

DonAK

Equal share squad + manager for me. We lost this league because we wasted too many points against small teams, even when time to afford this luxury was well over. That can't be on the squad.

It was a weak league campaign where we could have won it if we didn't fuck up so often against the smaller sides.

Lost too many points against weak teams and lost nearly every game against the teams we were up against in the title race.

Even then, he might have continued if we lost the title on last matchday or narrowly.

serghei

Lost too many points against weak teams and lost nearly every game against the teams we were up against in the title race.

Sure, but for those games you can say that Madrid and Atletico had better teams. Fair enough. Not against likes of Granada, Celta and Levante and such. When you are in for the title fight and you lose 8 out of 9 pts against these teams, it's clear you have a big problem as a manager too.

DonAK

That said, Koeman definitely right in saying that this squad isn't close to the level Barcelona should be on.

And something to take very seriously. It's time for Laporta and others to get to work. Seems like they already are since Laporta, Yuste, Alemany and Reverter all had a meeting today.

The press and fanbase will not be very forgiving if it's only empty words. Especially the press that aren't fond of Laporta to begin with.

Barcilliant

It's a pity.

Got 2-3 chances to win the league, but squandered all of them. Obviously the squad is more culpable, but Koeman is culpable himself as well and it's not like he has proven to be a good coach from his previous jobs or someone to give a second chance after such a meltdown. The Dutch NT doesn't count since NT Football and Club Football is almost like two different type of games.

I agree. Look imo the players are primarily to blame then Koeman.
I don't mind being if Koeman is sacked. I just want a proper manager in who knows tactics, has a big personality and is not scared of the big players. I want to see the manager prioritise good physical conditioning and a never say due mentality.
Sick of this soft Barca DNA mentality.

Barcilliant

Pique, Pedro, Busquets were nowhere near world class before Pep. Abidal can be argued, and a lot of players that played a lot of minutes, like Maxwell, Keita, Adriano etc.
Check a list of wingers he used (with success) in some games and where they ended up after and say again that he only used world class players... Jeffren, Cuenca, Tello etc.

Haha.
Convenient for you to ignore Eto world class striker. Messi coming into his prime, Henry who may not have been the best fit but miles better then Griezmann and Dumbele.
In midfield Xavi was a maestro, Iniesta was coming into his own and Tourre had a physical presence which brought balance to the squad.
Alves enough said, same with Puyol. You had Marquez, Milito and a young Pique. Abidal started coming of age too.
This squad is simply shit. Too many mediocre players on big wages who should never have been signed.

Barcilliant

I'm fine with Koeman being sacked but where are the alternatives.
If Laporta sacks Koeman I think Pimienta will be thrust onto the hot seat.
Interesting times ahead.

ItachiXXX

I'm honestly not fixated on who's our coach, I don't think it matters either. Koeman's right: it's quite possibly the worst squad in 20 years, and the first thing the board should focus in is getting rid more than half the squad and replacing it with quality signings. I have no idea how that'll happen, but until it does nothing else will change much really.

I'm pretty sure at the time of EV some people here call it World Class Squad just need any other manager, sell the Amigos and Barca will still win La Liga even without manager. 2 season in a row forum de amigos making excuses :lol:

Morten

I'm fine with Koeman being sacked but where are the alternatives.
If Laporta sacks Koeman I think Pimienta will be thrust onto the hot seat.
Interesting times ahead.

The market isnt great for coaches right now, but Allegri is available, experienced and proven coach at the highest level.

There you go, clear upgrade on Koeman.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans