3 - Gerard Pique

BusiTheKing

He's averse to rushing because he's afraid of making mistakes. But way too often by waiting for the attacker to make his move, he's just conceding the upper hand in the situation.

FinBarcelonafan

He is slow as a boat, takes billion years to turn his body. I think he is afraid of being dribbled past so he keeps backing up too far and giving space.

Either way he would look like a donkey. (He is too slow to play aggressively)

That's why Mingueza is crucial to Pique and Lenglet. They are both very slow and awful in 1vs1 and have no speed to recover. (Very slow acceleration).

Last edited:

BusiTheKing

I remember him doing the backing up thing every time Ronaldo had the ball near him. I don't think he's aware of how much easier he's making it for the attacker.

FinBarcelonafan

And I would add, that's why Lenglet and Pique are terrible pairing. They both share same weaknesses. I would like to have someone quick, strong and fast with Pique than Lenglet. Pique is good in the air, passing the ball etc.

FinBarcelonafan

look at how much space he gives Ronaldo here. A good defender would be all over Ronaldo right when he picked up the ball, forcing him outwards and thwarting any momentum. Already before Ronaldo has touched the ball here, Pique has conceded the upper hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BBU93EbCpQ

Afraid of being dribbled if he is too aggressive but of course great finish from Ronaldo

Definitely true he could have stopped or slowed down Ronaldo a lot. At least take his options out for a moment.(while teammates recover position and join for help)

BusiTheKing

Afraid of being dribbled if he is too aggressive but of course great finish from Ronaldo

Yeah but that's the stakes a defender has to navigate constatly. Being passive or active is a balance. That's the art of defending. Here, I have no doubt that a top defender could have done way more.

FinBarcelonafan

Yeah but that's the stakes a defender has to navigate constatly. Being passive or active is a balance. That's the art of defending. Here, I have no doubt that a top defender could have done way more.

That's why I think Umtiti in his prime was such a good defenseman. He could really add the pressure in the right spots. It's shame he lost his knee.

We need another Umtiti with Pique, not Lenglet.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Had dinner with UEFA President Ceferin a few weeks ago to learn about how UEFA go about their business so he could learn and apply it to whatever he's doing.

Andresito

Staff member
Can see him becoming head of UEFA/FIFA after his stint as Barcelona president. Seems like he's got huge ambitions for himself.

behindbrowneyes

Wtf? Backstabbing laporta?

Gerard Pique had a meeting with the UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin a few weeks ago, according to a report on RAC1 this week.

Barcelona president Joan Laporta joined the duo, too, just days before 12 clubs tried to leave UEFA's Champions League competition by launching the European Super League.

According to the cited media, Pique was interested in learning how the television money for the Champions League and other UEFA competitions was distributed. Ceferin explained to him in person.

And at the end of the lunch in Barcelona, Laporta appeared, too.
https://www.sport.es/en/news/barca/...erard-pique-ceferin-and-joan-laporta-11684419

Home of Barca Fans