Should instant replay technology be made available to refs in the future?

Should FIFA adopt instant replay tech in the WC and other major tournaments?

• Yes, and it should be made available for all possible calls (goals, fouls/cards, etc)

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Yes, but only when dealing with a possible goal

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • No, that type of technology has no place in football / should just get better refs / etc

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters

maz

I walk the line
Goal line technology only. Surely you can put three sensors in the ball and can work out whether it crossed the line. Are we seriously not at a stage of technology where that can be done?

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
Goal line technology as a minimum for me, it's completely unacceptable that a legitimate goal can be scored but not awarded because some doofus with a flag didn't have his eyes open.

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
Yes... why not! If the others sports (american football for example made progress in this area, why football can do the same)? At least, we could finished those discussions without end about "was penalty or not?" or "was off-side?" and others...

Bionicman

My opinion is somewhere between the first two choices. I would suggest starting with technology only for goal decisions, as that is relatively easy to do. Then as people get used to it, using technology for other calls can be considered. Trial runs can be set up to gauge effectiveness of different methods.

I want it the way it is now.. no need for replays at all
this will be tad boring , lets face u all love a little controversy ..
extra refs behind the goal, but otherwise the beastman is right.
Got to agree with the Beast! Controversy and this kind of talking points would be missed. Human error is part and parcel of life.
No. This is football/soccer. This is why its loved that much. Because it involves a possibility of human error, the drama and these are the money making essential things in this business.
These responses remind me of the debate over the use of instant replay in American football. Some people argued that "human error" was an important part of the game and that people would like the sport less if technology was introduced. I considered it a staggeringly nonsensical argument then, and time has proven me and many other sensible people right. Give me one person who likes a sport more because of refereeing controversy, and I'll show you ten who gave up the sport for the same reason. The popularity of American football hasn't shown any dropoff due to the reduction in "human error." Several other sports have introduced technology (tennis, basketball, and hockey), and to the best of my knowledge, there hasn't been a mass exodus of fans complaining that technology has made the sport less fun.

Last edited:

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Refs mistakes are a part of football. I do think however that that Fifa should introduce the technology little by little. They did that chip in the ball thing, and believe it or not, it didn't prove to be 100% accurate.
For deciding whether the ball passed the line I would definitely use it. Offsides are always going to be dodgy imo.

Not for offsides. Not at all, but for on the line goals. Right before the keeper kicks the ball, there should be 15 seconds of investigation.

My argument against it would be that poorer nations would not be able to afford this me thinks.

Although you know what, I am torn.

What I will conclude with is that I do not mind video technology as long as it is kept to a minimum. Yellow cards, red cards, offsides are all down to humans...but if an offside like tevez's happened then that could also be officiated by video technology..

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
I'm only in favour of it for goalline incidents such as the England one. Simply because they are very rare and so on the odd occasion they come about they can be dealt with properly. Offsides etc happen a dozen times every game, it'd ruin the flow of the match and would be awful. You have to take the rough with the smooth when it comes to those decisions.

Tbh with the extra officials like they had in the Europa League the decision would have been fine definitely in the England game, probably the others too.

Guardian

let's just face it. Gambling and match fixing is a part of the game....
Bet-and-win! well, it should be called bet-and-lose or bet-and-get-fucked, but no one will tell you the true. plus FIFA will always support their addidas babies Germany or the much Nike loved Brazil.

All referees are bunch of obedient cowards who deserve to be publicly ass-whipped

TheMessiShow

Haven't been on for a while but anyways I think its fair to take a few seconds to look over a goal. The Englands goal should have counted but Argentina's shouldn't have, but there are also lots of goals which are borderline offside/onside by a few millimeters which shouldn't be picked apart.

Anyways... if there is introduction of any kind of video technology I think there should be a post game review for dives, just like there are matters for fouls which are not dealt with in the game by a card. The first thing to stopping simulation is to start punishing them for it.

tk_TommyKim

The only time we say we need it is when a goal gets disallowed...not over whether or not the ball crossed the touchline. I think it might be helpful in sighting dives, though, but it shouldn't interrupt the pace of the match, for sure.

XaviMessiGirl

Apparently Blatter apologized for all the bullshit and will re-open the debate about goal-line technology... but tbh I don't know how far that conversation will actually go. It IS Blatter after all.

K

Kenyan fan#1

I think it's easier to accept a "ref's error" than introduce new technology after the camera fails to "record" the ball in a situation where the ball is behind the line but some Puyol who jumped (and had a crowd below him all over the ball, anyhow) blocked the camera. Such games would have to be re-played despite the fact that the ref was right.

Coaches should have strategies to keep goals at bay, rather than depend on cameras and beeps.

barca96

video technology for everything for me.
follow the american sports.

all these diving, playacting, off the ball incidents will be gone.
it makes me sick to my stomach to watch some footballers act like little bitches just to get a player sent off or carded.
its ruining the game.
football's becoming a joke

video technology for everything for me.
follow the american sports.

all these diving, playacting, off the ball incidents will be gone.
it makes me sick to my stomach to watch some footballers act like little bitches just to get a player sent off or carded.
its ruining the game.
football's becoming a joke

well said, also when the people come out with the Fair Play things before a World Cup match starts it makes me sick seriously

Home of Barca Fans