Juan Carlos Unzue

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Players haven't trained enough since returning from holidays. We'll be fine.
I am worried about Stegen's cowardness (harsh word maybe) in failing to rush out and pick up balls in 5 yard area.

Xtroverto

This guy is a genius, and after reading all the bashing in the first 2 pages even more :trampoline:

I always knew Juan Carlos Unzue had something special, the fact he was the one that got that useless Victor Valdes to perform when he took over in 2003 even though everyone and their mother were screaming for Rustu. In hindsight it wasn't a big surprise Valdes lost the plot not long after Unzue left, he was the only one capable to get him focused on his job.

Last edited:

Eetu

Adormit
This guy is a genius, and after reading all the bashing in the first 2 pages even more :trampoline:

I always knew Juan Carlos Unzue had something special, the fact he was the one that got that useless Victor Valdes to perform when he took over in 2003 even though everyone and their mother were screaming for Rustu. In hindsight it wasn't a big surprise Valdes lost the plot not long after Unzue left, he was the only one capable to get him focused on his job.

Unzué is doing great work, but VV had some of his best times for us after he left. Especially the form he was in before he got injured. A mistake once in a while doesn't really count as losing the plot.

Of course if he doubled as Victor's accountant, you're right.

Xtroverto

Unzué is doing great work, but VV had some of his best times for us after he left. Especially the form he was in before he got injured. A mistake once in a while doesn't really count as losing the plot.

Of course if he doubled as Victor's accountant, you're right.

I'm thinking more about the antics of the pitch, he refused to work with the new GK coach he was asigned and behaved like a twat towards Zubi and the new board, also his performance in 2011-12 and 2012-13 were clearly worse than the years before, in fact Tito Vilanova wanted the club to sign a new GK to compete with him as his performance was clearly in decline at that time.

Around Xmas 2012 Unzue was on Catalan television discussing Victor Valdes, most of the questions from the presenter and the pundits were about his persona and why he was performing so much worse that season, according to Unzue Victor Valdes is basically a crackpot to work with and he admitted he was burned-out after working for 7 years with him. Busquets did a decent job but the guy that followed just could not handle him, this is where unzue exelled, he was more of a shrink to Valdes than a typical GK coach.

Last edited:

Eetu

Adormit
I'm thinking more about the antics of the pitch, he refused to work with the new GK coach he was asigned and behaved like a twat towards Zubi and the new board, also his performance in 2011-12 and 2012-13 were clearly worse than the years before, in fact Tito Vilanova wanted the club to sign a new GK to compete with him as his performance was clearly in decline at that time.

Around Xmas 2012 Unzue was on Catalan television discussing Victor Valdes, most of the questions from the presenter and the pundits were about his persona and why he was performing so much worse that season, according to Unzue Victor Valdes is basically a crackpot to work with and he admitted he was burned-out after working for 7 years with him. Busquets did a decent job but the guy that followed just could not handle him, this is where unzue exelled, he was more of a shrink to Valdes than a typical GK coach.

That would make sense.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
rljp4w.jpg

Basically, article says that Unzue is in charge of training both attacking and defending set pieces and Barca conceded only 1 entire season.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Hard to quantify Unzue's contributions to the current run of success for this iteration of Barcelona but it's clear he has played a role...The set piece defense is only one aspect as it's been rumoured that he was responsible for bringing in Bravo as well

raskolnikov

Yeah its insane how we only concede 1/2 corners a year now. Im completely relax nowadays while I was dying for years whenever we conceded a corner.
And he didnt fix it by making the players grow.

BarçaBarça

Basically, article says that Unzue is in charge of training both attacking and defending set pieces and Barca conceded only 1 entire season.

And now it is 4 conceded this season - still very, very good.

Sport has an article about the increased efficiency on attacking set-pieces (9 goals from corners, 10 from freekick etc.). But the most important thing, IMO, is that we have become so good at defending set pieces. I read that it was partly because of our mix of zone and man-to-man-defending, where high players (Pique, Mathieu) marks their man and follows them towards the ball, while other players, like Suarez, aggressively try to dominate their zone (front zone in his case). Theoretically that would lead to at least 2 players chasing/jumping for the ball, which gives us a better chance of clearing it.

In addition to that we have become a threat on counter, right after corners/freekicks against us - that is very nice work as well :)

navidjaan

Anyone think he could become the first team coach one day? Loads of experience in the club, and is doing very well as the assistant. Lucho said himself he could see Unzue in the role.

Home of Barca Fans