Sergio Ramos

StarLord

From a footballing point of view, his mistakes are tolerable, his goals are crucial, he gives 4 months of pure awesomeness and 4 inconsistent ones, but his departure for Real isn't discussed on footballing grounds. It is his leadership that is far too crucial for our team.

I like Ramos as a player a lot, I really do, and yes it will be difficult to replace his qualities on the pitch, but not nearly as tough as some on here are suggesting. Do not forget also that 50m euros (for a 29-year-old defender at that) is an excellent offer for Real Madrid! And with all that money (not that RM suffer from lack of it) I maintain that yes, there are replacements for Ramos in world football.

What you (and others) say about leadership is just too "subjective" and "insubstantial" to quantify. It may have an effect, it may not at all, how can anyone pretend that they can predict or measure such a thing?

I have been saying for months now, that Real Madrid are in a very good position for next season since they can sell (for awesome fees) and buy at their hearts' content. I do not know any other club in Europe enjoying such a position of strength in the transfer market.

Andrew M

From a footballing point of view, his mistakes are tolerable, his goals are crucial, he gives 4 months of pure awesomeness and 4 inconsistent ones, but his departure for Real isn't discussed on footballing grounds. It is his leadership that is far too crucial for our team.

Showed great leadership by giving away the free kick that led to Juve's goal at the Bernabeu.

Real should also charge Utd an extra 10 mill as he proved he is also great in midfield.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
I like Ramos as a player a lot, I really do, and yes it will be difficult to replace his qualities on the pitch, but not nearly as tough as some on here are suggesting. Do not forget also that 50m euros (for a 29-year-old defender at that) is an excellent offer for Real Madrid! And with all that money (not that RM suffer from lack of it) I maintain that yes, there are replacements for Ramos in world football.

What you (and others) say about leadership is just too "subjective" and "insubstantial" to quantify. It may have an effect, it may not at all, how can anyone pretend that they can predict or measure such a thing?

I have been saying for months now, that Real Madrid are in a very good position for next season since they can sell (for awesome fees) and buy at their hearts' content. I do not know any other club in Europe enjoying such a position of strength in the transfer market.

Ramos began as an attacker, has played as a central midfielder, and won the World Cup at right-back, afterwards admitting that the success lacked something – a goal of his. The Panenka penalty fits: the work of a defender with the soul of a striker. But there's a maturity now too. Ramos talks often of leading, of carrying the team forward, of taking responsibility.

You can't quantify it, that is the whole point. Ramos has shown support to many players on and off the pitch, he has defied managers to support his team mates, was the only one brave enough to speak up against Florentino Perez and Mourinho, which got him here in the first place. All his team mates love him and respect him. His managers may not like his influence but they respect his presence. When all the chips are down, he shows up and never quits.

He is made fun of a lot for his antics on and off the pitch, but I am 100% sure that Ramos helped all his players through their worst time. He is the go to guy, he is a reference point in the team and locker room.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/feb/10/sergio-ramos-manchester-united said:
"I grabbed Piqué and we spoke: 'Let's stop being little kids, let's stop being so unintelligent and unprofessional. Both of us. We're two great players but you're not going to have a good tournament without my help and I'm not going to have a good one without yours.'" Together, in the absence of Carles Puyol, they had an exceptional tournament. The odd couple, perhaps, but the perfect partnership.

Ramos began as an attacker, has played as a central midfielder, and won the World Cup at right-back, afterwards admitting that the success lacked something – a goal of his. The Panenka penalty fits: the work of a defender with the soul of a striker. But there's a maturity now too. Ramos talks often of leading, of carrying the team forward, of taking responsibility.

Last edited:

StarLord

You can't quantify it, that is the whole point. Ramos has shown support to many players on and off the pitch, he has defied managers to support his team mates, was the only one brave enough to speak up against Florentino Perez and Mourinho, which got him here in the first place. All his team mates love him and respect him. His managers may not like his influence but they respect his presence. When all the chips are down, he shows up and never quits.

He is made fun of a lot for his antics on and off the pitch, but I am 100% sure that Ramos helped all his players through their worst time. He is the go to guy, he is a reference point in the team and locker room.

You can't measure or quantify things like that, hence they are a matter of pure speculation. Things like that are mostly in the "football gossip" category and frankly do not amount to much.

In my mind, just like there are no managers who magically turn players better, there are no players who magically "lead" their teammates. It is just so much meaningless noise.

My point is that Real Madrid's future does not depend on the presence/absence of Ramos and that he can definitely be replaced. I am surprised that Real Madrid have declined extremely generous offers from Man United. Then again, the numbers talked about are probably tabloid sensationalism.

Morten

Doesnt matter, we have Perez, that automatically reduce our hopes of winning anything. If the club performs poorly enough next season, we might get rid of him. Another season or two without trophies will be worth it, if we can get rid of evil dictator Perez.

footyfan

Calma, calma
You can't measure or quantify things like that, hence they are a matter of pure speculation. Things like that are mostly in the "football gossip" category and frankly do not amount to much.

In my mind, just like there are no managers who magically turn players better, there are no players who magically "lead" their teammates. It is just so much meaningless noise.

Are you for real? The players are not robots with attributes. Mentality, emotions and leadership matter a lot. You can't just completely discount the human aspect of the game.

Meaningless noise....lmao

StarLord

Are you for real? The players are not robots with attributes. Mentality, emotions and leadership matter a lot. You can't just completely discount the human aspect of the game.

Meaningless noise....lmao

When there is no way for you to quantify, or even merely observe something, how can you be so certain that something like "leadership" exists as a special attribute of some players who through some obscure process pass that on to their teammates?

Players who are usually labelled as "leaders" etc, are always some very good to world class players who, surprise-surprise, tend to show their talents and capabilities when the going gets tough. Saying that a player is a "leader" is the same as saying that he is very, very good.

oggydude

Apparently we have put in a bid of £40m around €60m for Ramos. Lot of money for a 29 year old, the market has gone crazy but Real can ask for so much when players like David Luiz cost more and Mangala went for £35m. We apparently will offer €10m wages which is not much for us considering the current strength of the pound, Falcao/RVP are on nearly double and will be of next season.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Apparently we have put in a bid of £40m around €60m for Ramos. Lot of money for a 29 year old, the market has gone crazy but Real can ask for so much when players like David Luiz cost more and Mangala went for £35m. We apparently will offer €10m wages which is not much for us considering the current strength of the pound, Falcao/RVP are on nearly double and will be of next season.

Nearly double of 10m euros? That'll take them to Cristiano level and close to what Messi is earning.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
When there is no way for you to quantify, or even merely observe something, how can you be so certain that something like "leadership" exists as a special attribute of some players who through some obscure process pass that on to their teammates?

Players who are usually labelled as "leaders" etc, are always some very good to world class players who, surprise-surprise, tend to show their talents and capabilities when the going gets tough. Saying that a player is a "leader" is the same as saying that he is very, very good.

So if an attribute isn't quantifiable, it has no importance? When our players speak of respect for the manager, it's meaningless? Jordi Alba said this not too long ago:

"The best news we could have had was Luis Enrique signing a new deal. He's completely changed the dressing room. The atmosphere could not be any better. The best signing is the manager"

And Xavi this:

"I don't know. In all honesty, that is something to ask him, but if I had been in his shoes I wouldn't have had any doubt. He has been a good leader for the squad, he has won three titles and he can make history by winning three more, which would make this side the best in Barça's history. Where would he go that would be better than Barça?

Football-wise, there should be no doubt, nor with results, his leadership of the team has been unquestionable, he is a man with a strong personality and he has left his mark on the squad."

I guess our team just happened to have the best defence in Europe last season. MSN just decided to click. Alves and Rakitic had nothing to do with Messi's return to GOAT form. Alves and Piqué just decided to play better. The latter's sudden growth in maturity and as a leader had nothing to do with it. Right.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!

Players don't have to be considered great at their position to be great leaders. Compare the state of Arsenal's midfield with Vieira and after Vieira had left for instance. They still haven't found a replacement, despite the fact he wasn't a football legend and right now he's scarcely remembered by the fans of any community other than the Gunners.

Remember a fella called Antonio Cassano? :p Virtually dragged that Italian offense in 2012 along with Balotelli.

Last edited:

Beast

The Observer
:lol:

Funny how Ramos was routinely savaged by almost everyone on here (I was one of the very few to defend him) but once he is the target of Man United, he somehow transformed into Maldini's heir and has become irreplaceable.

If Real Madrid get good money for him (which I am certain, they will, IF he goes) then they can easily go for someone like Otamendi (who has not been at the top for nearly as long as Ramos has, but is younger, and is probably more focused defensively) and they also have Varane etc...

People fall victims of sensationalism all too easily. Let me remind everyone what was being said about Lucho's Barca before and almost throughout the last season.

I don't know about here nor do i care what they said i've been away for almost a year.. you are new here so let me advise you that i'm a die hard Madridista not a cule and been like this since 1984... so i'm no spring chicken

Ramos leadership is not questionable... he will have the odd game & screw up but for 3-4 years now he's been nothing but a leader in the team ... he is the heart of the team as well
the only time i have questioned a leader was Raul ... it has nothing to do with your team ..and being in this position before i know what Ramos departure means.. another post-Hierro meltdown... United means nothing to me as a fan ... you are not even top of your league and frankly speaking any European team in the last couple of years is dying to meet an English team as you all seem to have lost the European touch so in short i wouldn't mind at all if Ramos sadly leaves that he would pick you & not Barca or PSG or Bayern for example... so get your facts & head straight my friend

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
I don't know about here nor do i care what they said i've been away for almost a year.. you are new here so let me advise you that i'm a die hard Madridista not a cule and been like this since 1984... so i'm no spring chicken

Ramos leadership is not questionable... he will have the odd game & screw up but for 3-4 years now he's been nothing but a leader in the team ... he is the heart of the team as well
the only time i have questioned a leader was Raul ... it has nothing to do with your team ..and being in this position before i know what Ramos departure means.. another post-Hierro meltdown... United means nothing to me as a fan ... you are not even top of your league and frankly speaking any European team in the last couple of years is dying to meet an English team as you all seem to have lost the European touch so in short i wouldn't mind at all if Ramos sadly leaves that he would pick you & not Barca or PSG or Bayern for example... so get your facts & head straight my friend

It's your good friend Dalitities Lol

Alarcón

Ramos is not the best defender in the world but he's a fantastic leader and the embodiment of this current Madrid. If he leaves it will feel like the team is falling apart.

Home of Barca Fans