1 - Victor Valdes

khorne

He would have deserved to be spain's goal keeper this summer so much, not only for his great performance this season, but also for all the crap that he's been given all this years as being "barca's weak link" and for the fact that he was always very loyal and suportive to casillas and never made a fuss (unlike lehmann with kahn for instance). That's probably what i respected most about him, that takes a lot of character.
unfortunately, fate is a cruel mistress

Antimilan

Hope he gets well soon and everything goes great in his life. This season was probably his best ever at Barca, he was crucial with some nice saves throughout the season and it will be a pity for Barca not to have him until the end of the season. As for the national team, I doubt Del Bosque would bench his favorite son Iker, but he could have a chance why not. De Gea has been poor this season in Utd and I don't reckon any Spanish keeper to do well lately in La Liga. Spain has many GK options but this season doesn't seem to be the one for the Spanish goalies. What I feel more sorry for Victor is now the Man City move could get messed up and cancelled, no one wants an injured goalkeeper. Also the comeback is going to be quite tough for him, as for all the others with knee issues, since 6 months is quite a lot.

By the way, it is an interesting yet sad fact that many of players lately are tearing their ACL ligament or having long-time injuries involving the knee. I could name Falcao, Cristoforo of Sevilla (key player lately) and now Valdes. I'm sure I heard of other similar injuries this season also, it is becoming a kind of trend, unfortunately.

Get well soon Valdes !

CatalinR10

Bj6RRpVIUAADCj_.jpg:large

L

linetty

Victor Valdes travels today to Germany, where he will tomorrow undergo a knee operation. #fcblive

Ursegor

World Champion
Wouldn't like it if he stayed. Don't want to see a Hildebrandt-Canizares scenario here. Old club icon breathing down a youngstar's neck. He'll inevitably make a few mistakes, Catalan press will call for Valdes to start which will put even more pressure on tS and that's when shit will start to hit the fan.

There is also the financial aspect. Valdes is on 7 million Euros net from what I know. It will cost the club about 15 million Euros to offer him another 1 year contract just for him to recover and showcase to potential buyer clubs that he is fine and he'll leave anyway. Mes que un club or not.

F

Flavia

Wouldn't like it if he stayed. Don't want to see a Hildebrandt-Canizares scenario here. Old club icon breathing down a youngstar's neck. He'll inevitably make a few mistakes, Catalan press will call for Valdes to start which will put even more pressure on tS and that's when shit will start to hit the fan.

There is also the financial aspect. Valdes is on 7 million Euros net from what I know. It will cost the club about 15 million Euros to offer him another 1 year contract just for him to recover and showcase to potential buyer clubs that he is fine and he'll leave anyway. Mes que un club or not.

Valdes will be out for 6 to 9 months, plus the time to get back in shape. He probably won't play again this year. And I doubt very much his high wages would be kept, in this particular case.

L

linetty

Zubizarreta: "Valdes will decide his future. He gave us a lot, this will always be his home. He's still our player, the number '1' is his."

Zubizarreta (sports director): "Valdes is strong, he'll get through this. On Thursday, after tests, he was already planning his recovery."

Ursegor

World Champion
Valdes will be out for 6 to 9 months, plus the time to get back in shape. He probably won't play again this year. And I doubt very much his high wages would be kept, in this particular case.

The problem is that if he stays it means no club wants him right now. But then I wonder why that would change next season if Barca kept him to let him recover but didn't let him play instead of tS. In that case he could recover at his new club. Surely if clubs hesitate now they will only want him next season if he shows that he's back to his best. Which means he would have to compete against and outperform tS. Which is a situation I really don't want to see.

F

Flavia

The problem is that if he stays it means no club wants him right now. But then I wonder why that would change next season if Barca kept him to let him recover but didn't let him play instead of tS. In that case he could recover at his new club. Surely if clubs hesitate now they will only want him next season if he shows that he's back to his best. Which means he would have to compete against and outperform tS. Which is a situation I really don't want to see.

I don't think that will happen. If he stays, it'll be just to recover, probably until december, and leave in january to his new club. It seems Monaco will honor the pre-contract they signed.

aaron101

The good thing is we already have ter Stegen so our GK for next season is secured. Valdes might just stay at Barca until December to recover and while recovering, he can train with the team along with ter Stegen. He will be able to pass his knowledge to our new GK and he'll learn a lot from Valdes. MatS will learn a lot of things from the veterans (Pinto & Valdes). I really would like for Pinto to renew, he's still not done IMO.

frog-fcb

Do use think if we didnt get our first choice gk to come in would he have signed new contract so y would we sign him if he dont get his first choice club

F

Flavia

[h=1]Víctor Valdés out for seven months[/h] www.fcbarcelona.cat
03/31/2014 12:05

The Barça keeper has been operated on by doctors Ulrich Boenisch and Ricard Pruna in Augsburg (Germany) for the anterior cruciate ligament tear he suffered last week

The knee’s internal cartilage has been sewn up and the operation was concluded successfully
The Barça keeper has been operated on by doctors Ulrich Boenisch and Ricard Pruna in Augsburg (Germany) for the anterior cruciate ligament tear he suffered last week. The knee’s internal cartilage has been sewn up and the operation was concluded successfully. Valdes will be out of action for approximately seven months. Valdes suffered the injury in the first half of last Wednesday’s game against Celta at the Camp Nou and was immediately afterwards examined by doctors at a Barcelona hospital. Víctor Valdés has played 535 games for FC Barcelona and conceded just 441 goals.

Home of Barca Fans