Uruguay

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Uruguay has a lot of talent in their starting line up, but little depth outside of forwards. Today they beat Israel 4-1 with a brace from El Loco Abreu and goals from sexygoalmachine Forlan and Pereira.

In qualifying they barely made the World Cup, but also showed the ability to beat any team in South America (and also lose to any team)

The 2 time world champions are bringing 23 of the following 26 players to South Africa:
Arqueros:
Fernando Muslera (Lazio, Italia)
Juan Castillo (Deportivo Cali, Colombia)
Martín Silva (Defensor Sporting)

Defensores:
Diego Lugano (Fenerbahce, Turquía)
Diego Godín (Villarreal, España)
Andrés Scotti (Colo Colo, Chile)
Jorge Fucile (Porto, Portugal)
Martín Cáceres (Juventus, Italia)
Mauricio Victorino (Universidad de Chile)
Maximiliano Pereira (Benfica, Portugal)

Volantes:
Walter Gargano (Napoli, Italia)
Egidio Arévalo Ríos (Peñarol)
Sebastián Eguren (AIK Estocolomo, Suecia)
Diego Pérez (Mónaco, Francia)
Alvaro Pereira (Porto, Portugal)
Alvaro Fernández (Universidad de Chile)
Jorge Rodríguez (River Plate)
Alvaro González (Nacional)
Ignacio González (Valencia, España)
Nicolás Lodeiro (Ajax, Holanda)

Delanteros:
Luis Suárez (Ajax de Holanda)
Diego Forlán (Atlético Madrid, España)
Sebastián Abreu (Botafogo, Brasil)
Edinson Cavani (Palermo, Italia)
Jorge Martínez (Catania, Italia)
Sebastián Fernández (Banfield, Argentina)

As you can see, tons of talented forwards and known defenders, but not much world class talent in the midfield; Tabarez went as far as playing Forlan in the midfield for qualifying. I think Sebastian Fernandez, Victorino and either Jorge Rodriguez or Egidio Arévalo Ríos will be cut in the final list.

beef-supreme

Team Forlan :veryhappy:

Although defensively they are decent, funny thing is Alvaro Pereira, for example, is listed there as a midfielder - he is Porto's LB, he has to be played in midfield for Uruguay though.. You're right about the lack of midfield strength/depth.

Ataraxia

Their defense is pretty good so is their offense : I mean Suarez, Forlan, Cavani ( Abreu), that is magic. ( arguably better than Luis Fabiano-Robinho-Nilmar)

As for Martinez, they should play him in midfield to compensate, because he can be a good link between midfield and offense. If they can fight well in midfield since I see them topping their group even and going far. No reason not to.

Guardian

So Uruguay will be one of the less teams who still use 3 central defenders and wingbacks. Their first team should be like this

-----------------Muslera------------------
---------Lugano--Godin--Scotti---------
M. Perreira--Gargano--Perez--A.Perreira
------------I. Gonzalez-----------------
-------------Forlan----Suarez

In the second half with Israel they switched to 4-4-2, Lugano was replaced by Lodeiro and they operated more offensively, which was very productive, veteran Abreu scored a brace.
Uruguay have a great generation, but when you face the hosts, you can't expect good calls from the referees.
So I'd rather see Uruguay go through than France. Uruguay and SAR for the next stage!

XaviMessiGirl

I really think it will be France and Uruguay. Mexico suck as shown in their two friendlies this week, and South Africa isn't good either.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I'm still keeping up the faith that Uruguay and Mexico knock the cheaters out in the first round.

Lemmi

The Reckoner
even though he had an average season it is a shame that rodriguez from porto didnt make it because of his 2 game ban, im a big fan. also where is albin?

XaviMessiGirl

Sadly I'll miss Uruguay v. France, gonna be at the Canadian Grand Prix F1 race... which is probably the only thing to me worth missing a WC match for :lol:

Home of Barca Fans