Portugal

khaled_a_d

What has he really done with Belgium? Third place at WC? Sure they've been winning a lot and reached far in the NT rankings, but that doesn't really mean much if no titles show for it.

They could've done with an interim if that's the case. They have European qualifiers against Lichtenstein and Luxembourg in March, then in June Bosnia and Iceland. 3W 1D at worst with a donkey on the bench.

3rd place with Belgium is their all time best result, and despite all the "hype" you can't ask for more from that team. They lost against a French team that had a much better squad bar GK. Their show in the tournament was far better than how they were in previous tournaments under different managers tbh.
2021 the team started to decline, but they have won all group stage, beat Portugal and only lost to the eventual champions, again tough to ask for more from him.
2022 is his only failure, although group proved to be really tough, and that was 6 years into the job and clearly he was losing the team, and that they have declined.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
[Cabine Desportiva] Mourinho confirms he turned down the Portuguese national team: "The fact that the president of the FPF said that I was not his first choice, but the only choice, makes me proud. But I decided not to go. I'm here and that's what matters."

Messigician

[Cabine Desportiva] Mourinho confirms he turned down the Portuguese national team: "The fact that the president of the FPF said that I was not his first choice, but the only choice, makes me proud. But I decided not to go. I'm here and that's what matters."

Too young to get retired by international management much like Valverde

Windhook

International management is different type. Can't imagine Mourinho with all his achievements and passion for day-to-day management to spend months and months in the stands scouting players for Portugal NT.

The last three World Cup winning managers are not big names in club football and this trend seems will continue. More and more nations promote U21 coaches to the top position.

khaled_a_d

International management is different type. Can't imagine Mourinho with all his achievements and passion for day-to-day management to spend months and months in the stands scouting players for Portugal NT.

The last three World Cup winning managers are not big names in club football and this trend seems will continue. More and more nations promote U21 coaches to the top position.

Exactly, youth coach, mid-table clubs coaches or retirement coach is most NT coaching jobs.
Once every while a Conte/Flick/Lucho type of coach will be available and say fuck it, I am in. But they won't last long (maybe Flick will do, since half his managerial career was being J.Low assistant)

Home of Barca Fans