RCD Espanyol de Cornella

Messi983

Lol. They should relegate them to Tercera.

Espanyol, who finished bottom of LaLiga with 25 points, release a statement calling for no relegation in Primera or Segunda this season. They say teams haven't been able to compete properly.

This is a club that shelled out near €40m in January in a desperate attempt to stay up. Other clubs didn't have that luxury. I don't see a single statement from any other LaLiga club that went down. Espanyol are absolutely pathetic.

https://twitter.com/davidjaca/status/1290317265318096904

FinBarcelonafan

Lol. They should relegate them to Tercera.

Espanyol, who finished bottom of LaLiga with 25 points, release a statement calling for no relegation in Primera or Segunda this season. They say teams haven't been able to compete properly.

This is a club that shelled out near ?40m in January in a desperate attempt to stay up. Other clubs didn't have that luxury. I don't see a single statement from any other LaLiga club that went down. Espanyol are absolutely pathetic.

https://twitter.com/davidjaca/status/1290317265318096904

Bye bye

khaled_a_d

Diego Martinez is their new coach.
Very good hire IMO, he was actually linked to us early in the season.
Maybe Espanyol can be entertaining for once

Messi983

Yeah, good hire unfortunately (but tbh I've thought the same when they've hired Pablo Machin; BTW, his career has clearly go downhill since Sevilla).

Led Granada from Segunda to Europe in two years and after he left they got relegated immediately.

Not sure why he choose Espanyol after a year of vaccations though. Could clearly wait for a bit more and get a better job.

khaled_a_d

Yeah, good hire unfortunately (but tbh I've thought the same when they've hired Pablo Machin; BTW, his career has clearly go downhill since Sevilla).

Led Granada from Segunda to Europe in two years and after he left they got relegated immediately.

Not sure why he choose Espanyol after a year of vaccations though. Could clearly wait for a bit more and get a better job.

I think there is a limit to how long you wait for a coach like him, without it being held against you.
Currently I would say the only better job available better than Espanyol is Bilbao, while Sevilla still waits on their decision on Lopetegui.
If I am going to guess, Bilbao wasn't interested and Espanyol wasn't going to wait for him.
A good showing with Espanyol and he can look for a much better teams, the Villarreal/Betis/Bilbao/Sevilla type of clubs

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Apparently Espanyol is for sale and some American investment fund might be the buyer. It is said they want to "relaunch the project", I wonder if they will pump in big money to the club.

It wouldn't hurt for Barcelona to have two real competitive clubs. At the same time, I do wonder if were to come to fruition, what kind of impact it will have on us, especially on youth talent.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Apparently Espanyol is for sale and some American investment fund might be the buyer. It is said they want to "relaunch the project", I wonder if they will pump in big money to the club.

It wouldn't hurt for Barcelona to have two real competitive clubs. At the same time, I do wonder if were to come to fruition, what kind of impact it will have on us, especially on youth talent.

Won't be pumping big money for sure, but some money in decent players and investing in talents probably. They will probably aim to become a top 10 club with a stable structure and then sell them off for a profit in a few years like what happened/is happening with Milan.

JamDav1982

No one is pumping huge money into Spanish clubs like Espanyol.

The Spanish league is not big enough to give them exposure these folks want for that.

Even if they did the strict FFP rules in Spain make it hard to pump their own money in to get things going on playing side and the clubs are giving up a lot of tv money fo years and years from here as well... which just makes it even harder.

Most likely some dodgy investment group that will come to nothing would guess.

Messi983

IIRC Chen promised Champions league football in two years when he took over.

And then they were relegated instead. :lol:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Sold their stadium naming rights (or title rights? Not sure) to Stage Front for more than 1m a year for several years, despite being relegated. Not bad at all.

Meanwhile Spotify is only paying us 5m a year while Atletico is getting 8.5m a year from Civitas.

Messi983

Sold their stadium naming rights (or title rights? Not sure) to Stage Front for more than 1m a year for several years, despite being relegated. Not bad at all.

Meanwhile Spotify is only paying us 5m a year while Atletico is getting 8.5m a year from Civitas.

They're only paying 5m per year because we won't be playing at Camp Nou whole next season and start of the 24/25 season as well. Could probably get a bit more but far from a bad deal imo all things considered.

We'll surely be negotiating an improved deal after stadium is fully renovated though. IIRC there was a talk about a potential 20 year, 400m deal.

Porque

They're only paying 5m per year because we won't be playing at Camp Nou whole next season and start of the 24/25 season as well. Could probably get a bit more but far from a bad deal imo all things considered.

We'll surely be negotiating an improved deal after stadium is fully renovated though. IIRC there was a talk about a potential 20 year, 400m deal.
What's Montuljic being called next year?

Afaik the Spotify deal is paused and will be resumed when we return to the Nou Camp Nou.

So we negotiated a shocker if correct.

Messi983

What's Montuljic being called next year?

Afaik the Spotify deal is paused and will be resumed when we return to the Nou Camp Nou.

So we negotiated a shocker if correct.

Meanwhile, as Spotify have earned the naming rights to Camp Nou, Barcelona will earn five million euros each season until the Espai Barça works are completed.

Why would Montjuic be called different?

Porque

Because they have sold the naming rights with the Camp Nou and not with Montjulic.

Check the stadium names mentioned here. There is no mileage for Spotify next season.

Edit.

So the deal is 5m / yr for the first 4 years and then 20m / yr for the 8 after.

So this season they paid 5m. And if construction is on the schedule the club released, 5m for the return year.

So yeah, it isn't paused but rather reduced. And technically we could sell the naming rights for our Montjulic rental dependent on clauses.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans