João Laporta

TheStig

If the clubs don't lower the prices than the transfers will not happen. Maybe it will happen with world class players like Haaland who is worth the risk but the average price for a normal player will fall drasticly. It's the only possible outcome if the teams lack revenue.

Porque

Don't forget that in Laporta's first tenure that his Number 1 managerial choice was Koeman, then Hiddink and then Rijkaard. Rossell wanted Scolari.

I think it is a given Laporta give's Koeman as long as the results are ready and until Xavi is ready. Would not be surprised if his thinking is to go with a modernised Cryuff approach. That is to say.

Jordi as his personal advisor.
Overmars as Sporting Director
Koeman as manager
Alemany as CEO to oversee the business side of the sporting project.

Regarding transfer fee's, I do not see them dropping. What we are seeing right now globally is a contraction phase while we overcome Covid-19. Once we are on the verge of exiting this then the economies (and football business/transfers, travel, etc) will boom. Post SARS this happened on a smaller scale in Asia.

It is just about getting through this period in the short term.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Don't forget that in Laporta's first tenure that his Number 1 managerial choice was Koeman, then Hiddink and then Rijkaard. Rossell wanted Scolari.

I think it is a given Laporta give's Koeman as long as the results are ready and until Xavi is ready. Would not be surprised if his thinking is to go with a modernised Cryuff approach. That is to say.

Jordi as his personal advisor.
Overmars as Sporting Director

Koeman as manager
Alemany as CEO to oversee the business side of the sporting project.

Regarding transfer fee's, I do not see them dropping. What we are seeing right now globally is a contraction phase while we overcome Covid-19. Once we are on the verge of exiting this then the economies (and football business/transfers, travel, etc) will boom. Post SARS this happened on a smaller scale in Asia.

It is just about getting through this period in the short term.

Is it your personal wish or something Laporta or his people mentioned?

I believe Sport mentioned that Jordi Cruyff would be the new Sporting Director, shuck if true.

khaled_a_d

I believe Sport mentioned that Jordi Cruyff would be the new Sporting Director, shuck if true.

Laporta always keep his cards close. it seems more of a guess.
I feel Overmars is the pick, but you never know.

Porque

It is my opinion. Based on the first candidancy of Laporta and his loyalty and trust in Cryuff's philosophy, along with media speculations.

https://www.sport.es/en/news/elecci...turn-to-barcelona-under-joan-laporta-11554861
Laporta's plan is for Mateu Alemany to take on a sort of general manager role and for Cruyff to work alongside him as the sporting director.

"He will be like Ra?l Sanllehi with Txiki and Zubizarreta. But Sanlleh? was below them. In this case, I think they would be at the same level,"

With Overmars, it is speculation from Netherlands that he will be Sporting Director for Barcelona under Laporta. His contract is expiring in the summer and he is not renewing.

I see it more likely that Laporta would have Overmars in the Sporting Director role over Cryuff and use Cryuff more advisory to keep himself (Laporta) "in check" regarding the bigger picture just as his father did (Patience with Rijkaard, Ignore the initial results of Pep and that the team was functioning well).

I assume that he will believe that Cryuff Jr will share the philosophies of his father and the same wisdom of seeing the long game in football.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It is my opinion. Based on the first candidancy of Laporta and his loyalty and trust in Cryuff's philosophy, along with media speculations.

https://www.sport.es/en/news/elecci...turn-to-barcelona-under-joan-laporta-11554861
Laporta's plan is for Mateu Alemany to take on a sort of general manager role and for Cruyff to work alongside him as the sporting director.

"He will be like Ra?l Sanllehi with Txiki and Zubizarreta. But Sanlleh? was below them. In this case, I think they would be at the same level,"

With Overmars, it is speculation from Netherlands that he will be Sporting Director for Barcelona under Laporta. His contract is expiring in the summer and he is not renewing.

I see it more likely that Laporta would have Overmars in the Sporting Director role over Cryuff and use Cryuff more advisory to keep himself (Laporta) "in check" regarding the bigger picture just as his father did (Patience with Rijkaard, Ignore the initial results of Pep and that the team was functioning well).

I assume that he will believe that Cryuff Jr will share the philosophies of his father and the same wisdom of seeing the long game in football.

I really don't understand what people see in Jordi Cruyff, other than his last name. What exactly does he bring to the table?

Horatio

You're welcome
Overmars and Koeman. Make Barca Dutch again!

Any sane person would pick Overmars over Cruijff. And it is not as if Overmars would completely abandon the philosophies since he played for Ajax and is its director lol.

Last edited:

fergus90

Just read Overmars' contract lasts til summer of 2024.

Ah okay, think i read from MD so probably should of known to take it with a pinch of salt. Zorc would be quality though, he bought Lewandowski, Dembouz, Reus, Gundogan etc for very low fees.

khaled_a_d

I really don't understand what people see in Jordi Cruyff, other than his last name. What exactly does he bring to the table?

There are 3 things that comes with Jordi:

First and most obvious, is the PR, which explains itself.

Second: Forget about the name, Jordi had a decent career overall and experiences that many SD had even less. He played with Barca, Many (over 100 games for both) under Crujiff and SAF as his manager, Hiddink with NT and even was integral part of Alaves historic run to EL final, which they lost in one of the all time greatest finals in history.
Guys like Monchi has experienced less, Txiki was more successful as a player but was more of Barca man, and the list goes on.

After playing, he had very successful tenure with AEK Larnaca, then an actually historical run in Israel where they won league titles for 1st time in a decade, they won it 3 times in row under 3 different managers, all whom moved to even bigger clubs after they left.

He is doing terrible job as a manager, that being said he is experiencing different type of football and job which is generally positive to the collective experience.
Overall Jordi has done very well as SD, and he is surely distained to a better step. If he didn't have the name and come here it would have been a strange move, but will be seen more of a risk rather than a total anomaly.

Third: Let's remember about the name, sure nepotism is bad and everything, but connections is huge in life. It gives you access to experiences that very few people have.
Look at this way, Jordi had an unmatched access to his father's ideas, and we know his dad was one of the all time greatest football minds ever.

But not only that, he had access to his father's friend and acquaintances etc, people whom he can talk and add connections and ideas from, historical coaches, players etc whom he will have access to due to his dad.

Look at this way, Lebron James son is an average high school recruit, but he seems he is a sure thing to make it in the NBA due to all the input he has from his dad, from historical coaches like coach Mike Krzyzewski and others. Same thing with Jordi, he had enormous access to great football minds due to his dad that your average former player doesn't have.
NVM huge connections to former players.

Overall, I don't think that Jordi is "nothing but surname" and neither that he has nothing to offer. He is experienced and knowledgeable with access to some football greats too.

Now, does this mean he is the best for the job? or that I will be thrilled if he is football director over other names? My answer is no.
But I won't be mad if he had a job in Barca under the new president team.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
There are 3 things that comes with Jordi:

First and most obvious, is the PR, which explains itself.

Second: Forget about the name, Jordi had a decent career overall and experiences that many SD had even less. He played with Barca, Many (over 100 games for both) under Crujiff and SAF as his manager, Hiddink with NT and even was integral part of Alaves historic run to EL final, which they lost in one of the all time greatest finals in history.
Guys like Monchi has experienced less, Txiki was more successful as a player but was more of Barca man, and the list goes on.

After playing, he had very successful tenure with AEK Larnaca, then an actually historical run in Israel where they won league titles for 1st time in a decade, they won it 3 times in row under 3 different managers, all whom moved to even bigger clubs after they left.

He is doing terrible job as a manager, that being said he is experiencing different type of football and job which is generally positive to the collective experience.
Overall Jordi has done very well as SD, and he is surely distained to a better step. If he didn't have the name and come here it would have been a strange move, but will be seen more of a risk rather than a total anomaly.

Third: Let's remember about the name, sure nepotism is bad and everything, but connections is huge in life. It gives you access to experiences that very few people have.
Look at this way, Jordi had an unmatched access to his father's ideas, and we know his dad was one of the all time greatest football minds ever.

But not only that, he had access to his father's friend and acquaintances etc, people whom he can talk and add connections and ideas from, historical coaches, players etc whom he will have access to due to his dad.

Look at this way, Lebron James son is an average high school recruit, but he seems he is a sure thing to make it in the NBA due to all the input he has from his dad, from historical coaches like coach Mike Krzyzewski and others. Same thing with Jordi, he had enormous access to great football minds due to his dad that your average former player doesn't have.
NVM huge connections to former players.

Overall, I don't think that Jordi is "nothing but surname" and neither that he has nothing to offer. He is experienced and knowledgeable with access to some football greats too.

Now, does this mean he is the best for the job? or that I will be thrilled if he is football director over other names? My answer is no.
But I won't be mad if he had a job in Barca under the new president team.

Thanks Khaled for the input. I still think getting him would have been mostly a PR stunt more than anything else. On the third point you mentioned, it is not like we as a club don't understand Cruyff's ideas through and through already and we need his help in that regard, also I don't think connection-wise he is going to get us to any specific resources or players that we need as a club.

By the way, I think you previously spoke positively of Mateu Alemany. Could you please give me a refresher on the guy? Why do you think he would be a good addition? Other than managing Mallorca and Valencia (which saw him being fired), he doesn't seem to have a robust resume. How would you rate his tenure at Valencia? Did he hire Gary Neville?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Great man. Still kicking it in South-America. How have you been?

Nice. Good to see you're alive and well and not kidnapped by some separatists or revolutionaries lol.

I'm fine. Busy. Here for the elections.

Home of Barca Fans