João Laporta

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
As said, all big clubs who achieve awesome results will operate at a loss because once you hit it big, the decline will follow if you don't invest. Weren't we paying ourselves to have Unicef on the shirt around that time?

Yes but how the heck did he rake up that much of a loss 12 years ago? I think a loss of 100m magnitude was unheard of back then and still quite rare nowadays (if we take COVID out), right?

Point being, given his past track record, don't bank on Laporta's business acumen and his ability to turn this club around financially.

serghei

Yes but how the heck did he rake up that much of a loss 12 years ago? I think a loss of 100m magnitude was unheard of back then and still quite rare nowadays (if we take COVID out), right?

Point being, given his past track record, don't bank on Laporta's business acumen and his ability to turn this club around financially.

I have no idea. Bonuses to everyone for winning everything in 2009, big money spent on transfers in 2010 (all failed) with almost no sells.

malvolio

As Luft pointed out, Laporta ain't the savviest of business men. Rosell and Barto were both better at that.

We were number one club in revenue before Covid, with Barto at the helm. Best in our history as a club.

Don't know who is the better club president, or who was luckier between them.

serghei

As Luft pointed out, Laporta ain't the savviest of business men. Rosell and Barto were both better at that.

We were number one club in revenue before Covid, with Barto at the helm.

Don't know who is the better club president, or who was luckier between them.

OK, this is getting silly.

Did you notice some change lately with our transfers since Bartmeu was forced to resign? About their wages, and the money we paid for them, and their quality despite the way lower costs?

It's easy. Bartomeu was a rat who was unlucky. Other big club presidents were smart people who got unlucky, especially Florentino. When everyone is unlucky the smart tend to float, and the dumb tend to drown.

And the least said about historic humiliations vs likes of Bayern the better.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Bartomeu was unlucky because of COVID, but he even if were to take COVID out, we would still have had a loss in the 19/20 season as our profit margin was so thin previously (1m to 5m) and our cost was going through the roof. His past transfer spendings and the shenanigans he pulled with regard to players contracts and wages would have torpedoed us pretty badly.

Laporta inherited a mess from Bartomeu, no doubt about it. However, Laporta is also reaping the benefits of Bartomeu's previous work such as Barca Studios and BLM. Nothing original he has come up with strategically so far.

serghei

Bartomeu was unlucky because of COVID, but he even if were to take COVID out, we would still have had a loss in the 19/20 season as our profit margin was so thin previously (1m to 5m) and our cost was going through the roof. His past transfer spendings and the shenanigans he pulled with regard to players contracts and wages would have torpedoed us pretty badly.

Laporta inherited a mess from Bartomeu, no doubt about it. However, Laporta is also reaping the benefits of Bartomeu's previous work such as Barca Studios and BLM. Nothing original he has come up with strategically so far.

Nothing original. But how do you count the transfers, you know, the bread and butter of football clubs? They seem spot on. You credit Laporta with none of that and direct all of it to his delegates basically?

Sailor Mars

Even before Covid hit, Barca's revenue to wages ratio was way out of line compared to the other big clubs. Barto was getting bent over and overpaying everyone in negotiations.

malvolio

Barto knew how to get money in, but was poor to stupid or even unlucky when it came to transfers. Salaries were pure stupidity though.

But even he would probably have got away with it if Covid didn't happen and some of the transfers were a success.

malvolio

Speaking of Catalan presidents, I think Pique would do a good job at getting revenue into the club. Don't know how inspired he would be on the sporting side. But business wise he would be very good.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Nothing original. But how do you count the transfers, you know, the bread and butter of football clubs? They seem spot on. You credit Laporta with none of that and direct all of it to his delegates basically?

I was speaking from the holistic perspective, referring to charting and drawing plans to expand our revenue streams and exploring new forays to grow the club etc., kind of like what Bartomeu did with creating Barca Corporate. I haven't seen anything from Laporta yet.

As to the transfers, that's about building the squad, nothing strategic about it. Of course, one can say so and so was bought as an investment for the future etc. We will have to wait and see how these transfer turn out. I like Raphinha's and Kounde's transfer very much, of all the transfers we had this summer.

Edit: I will say though, strategically Laporta did do something: He made a big gamble by selling our rights and assets and mortgaging our future to invest hugely in the squad right now, thinking this is the only way for the brand to not lose value. Whether he has sewn the seeds of our misery, or we will be reaping his benefits in the future, remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Speaking of Catalan presidents, I think Pique would do a good job at getting revenue into the club. Don't know how inspired he would be on the sporting side. But business wise he would be very good.

Yeah, perhaps we will have a revival when he becomes the president. Don't have much hopes for Font either.

jamrock

Bartomeu was so good at making money, he couldn't find us a shirt sponsor without pique.

Bartomeu over inflated our income to make out insane expenses look better in comparison.

70m for Arthur, 30m for whatever that Dutch keepers name is. That was all apart of our "record" revenues.

If we were actually making the kinda money he was talking about, even with covid we would have been in a much better position than we actually ended up in, we are the only major club that is totally screwed after covid.

It was all smokes and mirrors with bartomeu and rosell, once the Laporta effect wore off, we so how "good" they were at running a club both sporting and financially.

terryzinc

COVID killed Barto... but Laporta is doing the same thing if another COVID comes down the pike we will be screwed just like last time. Laporta is doing the same crazy gambling.

4 Days until the season starts. It seems that the whole football world wants to see Barca in shambles in not beeing able to register new signings. Absolute disaster imminent, Laporta better start to pull off some magic.

Home of Barca Fans