João Laporta

JamDav1982

Klopp doesnt strike me as the type of guy to make that kind of promise and he has been quite off hand about Barca in the past.

Would be extremely surprised if he ever goes near the Barca job.

Does he even speak Spanish?

JamDav1982

1-Laporta promised to bring Beckham ,that is true but it wasn't just BS .Manu has announced they had an agreement with him for Beckham for 50M$ ,it wasn't a BS but Beckham rejected barca and he forced a move to Real with less money
Beckham was btw more of financial move ,a player that brings back spot light ,sell shirts etc we were lucky he decided not to come here
2-The whole Rosell brought R10 due to Brazilian connection is big load of shit ,fact he was playing in France ,fact he was open to a move to Real madrid,Barca or Manu and he said that many times in summer 2003 ,he even invited Italian clubs to make a move for him.all 3 clubs fought for his signing in 2003 .it was a very long sage and we won by making the biggest offer to PSG ,we didn't get him because of some false connection in Brazil we got him because we overpaid other clubs
Manu wasn't risking huge money for a player who was gonna be their 1st Brazilian ever ,his success was a risk,RM decided to bring a defender and got Milito b4 he failed medical
3-Laporta made mistakes that is for sure,but he brought 3 CL titles to us ,he is the best president we ever had and it isn't even close .luck can help but it can't get you as far .he let his people do their job ,and he brings the right people
I wanted Laporta out,most of his board members quite and he stayed with a poisonous effect,but he isolated the team and protected it
4-Laporta won the European title in the club 3 major sports,Football,Basketball&handball .this isn't luck

Laporta isn't coming and suddenly making us best team in the world in seconds,he isn't going to touch every thing and turn it in gold,he surely had his ups and downs .but he still managed to get success

1. It was bull shit and Beckham was never going to Barca. But it was a clever move to get elected and to make the the new board seem like they had their shit together and could make those type of deals happen.

2. Rosell played a huge part in Ronaldinho moving to Barca he says that himself. It wasnt about money as a bid had already been accepted by Man Utd.

3. Laporta won 2 European Cups as President.

F

Flavia

1. It was bull shit and Beckham was never going to Barca. But it was a clever move to get elected and to make the the new board seem like they had their shit together and could make those type of deals happen.

2. Rosell played a huge part in Ronaldinho moving to Barca he says that himself. It wasnt about money as a bid had already been accepted by Man Utd.

The one in 2011 is more Laporta's than Rosell's.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
The one in 2011 is more Laporta's than Rosell's.

Especially considering that Villa, one of the key components of MVP, was Laporta's signing. Not to mention that the foundations for the team were already there when Rosell came in.

F

Flavia

A whole host of board members contributed to all three. The fact is Laporta did not in 3 CL's as President of Barca.

No, the fact is that the 2011 CL is another fruit from Laporta's tenure. Rosell's legacy is the chaos we're witnessing now.

JamDav1982

No, the fact is that the 2011 CL is another fruit from Laporta's tenure. Rosell's legacy is the chaos we're witnessing now.

Of course Laportas reign had a big part of the third CL win but it wasnt under his reign.

Would they have won the third without Masch? Someone Pep regarded as his best signing? Who knows but they didnt win it the year before.

Anyway I see those as both Pep Guardiola wins more than President. Although Laporta did appoint him.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
The guy that said that is trying to troll Barcaforum. Klopp said he wants to go to England and he doesn't seem to like Barca...

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Yes, Rosell definitely played a major part in bringing Ronaldinho to the club by calling out his Brazilian contacts from when he worked with Nike there. Otherwise I think Ronaldinho would have been a Man Utd player.

hamad138

Banned
Klopp already said he dont see him anywhere near Spain, so I would think he will go with Pellegrini or koeman. That Twitter guy is a a big troll

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

1-Manu board themselves confirmed they had agreement with him ,it was up to him to say yes or .usually in many cases this helps
2-Usually in many of the big transfers one of the board members get involved and it isn't just the sporting director ,Rosell was that one in R10 ,yes he helped but it was a bid war that .not sure who is he in that statement (R10,or Rosell or Laporta )
3-Laporta basically won us the 3rd ,it was the work by his board that brought the trophy not Rosell & Co ,and even if we say 2 that is half what we won and 2/3 what we won by the time he left

Of course Laportas reign had a big part of the third CL win but it wasnt under his reign.

Would they have won the third without Masch? Someone Pep regarded as his best signing? Who knows but they didnt win it the year before.

Anyway I see those as both Pep Guardiola wins more than President. Although Laporta did appoint him.

With Yaya instead? obviously you can never be sure if this things but I would say yes . and honestly I doubt in Laporta's era we would haven't let Yaya,Chygrynskiy & Marquez go in one summer with only one Mascherano replacing them ,our defensive crisis started with that summer thanks to Zubi .but again it is all hypothesis

Last edited:

JamDav1982

1-Manu board themselves confirmed they had agreement with him ,it was up to him to say yes or .usually in many cases this helps
2-Usually in many of the big transfers one of the board members get involved and it isn't just the sporting director ,Rosell was that one in R10 ,yes he helped but it was a bid war that .not sure who is he in that statement (R10,or Rosell or Laporta )
3-Laporta basically won us the 3rd ,it was the work by his board that brought the trophy not Rosell & Co ,and even if we say 2 that is half what we won and 2/3 what we won by the time he left

With Yaya instead? obviously you can never be sure if this things but I would say yes . and honestly I doubt in Laporta's era we would haven't let Yaya,Chygrynskiy & Marquez go in one summer with only one Mascherano replacing them ,our defensive crisis started with that summer thanks to Zubi .but again it is all hypothesis

1. Beckham was never going to Barca. This has been written about at length, he was always going to Real Madrid. Barcelona announced they had an agreement with him knowing fine he would never sign.

2. Ronaldinho himself said this "Everything was beautiful and happened fast. A great friend of mine was about to become a part of the Barcelona board: Sandro Rosell."

"Before the offers came, he had asked me if I would play in Barcelona when they won the election and became the presidents, and I had said 'Yes.'

onzeXI

I think we should be careful with appointing Koeman, I don't know whether or not he'll be a good manager.

You never know if anybody will be a good manager for Barca, or for any team, for that matter. 97% of managers get sacked eventually. 95%? 96%? 99%?

celeste-lachenmyer-quote-you-cant-just-pick-a-number-out-of-the-air.jpg

BBZ8800

Real Madrid and world football has moved on and improved massively from the first time round.

When he came in 2003, Real Madrid were in Galacticos phase, so, they were MUCH stronger than the current Madrid.
Real just won Champions league in 1998, 2000 and 2002, and had Ronaldo, Zidane, Figo, Beckham, Raul, Morientes, Casillas, Hierro, Guti, Roberto Carlos, Helguera etc.

We won only one Champions league when Laporta arrived, the one in 1992 with Crujff.

So, Real had 9 Champions league titles, 3 of them in the last 5 years, and everyone were talking about Real Madrid being the best club EVER, EVER, EVER.
We had only one CL, and haven't won La Liga since 1999 (Van Gaal).

So, Real was like 5 times stronger than us in those days.
Italian teams Milan and Juventus were extremely strong in those days.
Milan played these finals in those days:
-- 1994: Milan:Barcelona 4:0
-- 1995: Milan:Ajax 0:1
-- 2003: Milan:Juventus 3:2 (penalties)

Juventus played these finals:
-- 1996: Juventus:Ajax 4:2 (penalties)
-- 1997: Juventus:Borussia 1:3
-- 1998: Juventus:Real 0:1
-- 2003: Juventus:Milan 2:3 (penalties)

So, Real was the best team ever in those days. Milan and Juventus were extremely strong.
Manchester United and Bayern were like Bayern and Chelsea today.
Plus, Valencia in Spain was like Atletico Madrid today.
(Valencia won Liga in 2002 and 2004, and played two Champions league finals in 2000 and 2001).

The situation surely isn't worse today.
We are probably the best team in the last 10 years, today.
While in those days, we weren't much stronger than Arsenal in European terms.

Also, our state of mess in those days, was something like Manchester United today.
We were only a shadow of once a strong team.

My opinion is that Laporta struck unbelievably lucky in Pep being on his door step at the right time at a time the club was in a worse state than it is now.

Pep is only the last part of Laporta's story.
The first 5 years he worked with a sporting director Txiki Begiristain, and coaches Rijkaard and assistant Ten Cate.

Barcelona, Laporta and Pep were lucky in Pep's era with La Masia products.
But during Rijkaard's era, Laporta and Rijkaard weren't that blessed with youths:
-- Xavi was here already since 1998 or 1999
-- Puyol was here also since 1999
-- Motta played already with Rexach and previous coaches

-- Rijkaard (and Laporta) gave chances "only" to young Victor Valdes after a series of foreign GK disasters in Hesp, Bonano, Dutruel, Enke, Rustu in previous 5 years.
So, they decided to try with a homegrown GK
-- further they gave chances to young Iniesta
-- plus, to homegrown players Gabri and Oleguer

Messi "came" a few Seasons later (in Rijkaard's 3rd Season).
And the rest of La Masia products in Pedro, Busquets, Pique came later.

So, it is simplifying to say that Laporta was lucky with Pep and La Masia products, when Laporta worked 5 years with Rijkaard, and we had only Xavi and Puyol back then, who were with the club for 5 years already.
Plus, we only gave chances to a young Valdes and Iniesta.

Plus, La Liga title in 2004-05 was won because of Ronaldinho, Etoo and Deco, Messi didn't even play back then.
And, further in a Season 2005-06, Messi was starting to emerge as a super sub in the last 30 minutes.
-- La Liga in 2006 and Champions league 2006 were also won almost without Messi because he was too young, plus he was injured (muscle) in the 2nd part of the Season.

So, titles in 2005 and 2006 were won without "a luck" from La Masia.
Also, Champions league in 2006 was won also with a luck from La Masia.

Pep was much more lucky with Messi in his prime, plus with Pique, Busi and other guys.
Laporta and Rijkaard won titles not because of La Masia, but because of awesome planning, awesome transfers and because they have built a new generation and they created a perfect team's chemistry.

Last edited:

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
I have a few reasons why I don't want Rijkaard back. First of all, if he were to come back, his performances would obviously be compared to his golden period at the club, something I doubt he'd be able to replicate. Secondly, his playing style needs physically strong players in midfield. As of now, we only have Mascherano and arguably Busquets at best. Thirdly, if he is our coach next season, the amount of points needed to win the league has increased significantly since his period at the club, which needs to be noted. The highest he ever got us was 84 points, which was enough for 3rd place last season. Of course, it was a different time back then, but based on empirical evidence, we really should look elsewhere. His results after leaving us haven't exactly been stellar, which is another reason to not hire him again.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Rijkaard here, how we played and what he did for us, but I'm afraid his second stint would taint his first one. Also, he wouldn't be able to revolutionize the squad as he did back then due to the transfer ban. This is obviously not ideal for any coach, so I'd be more patient with the next one than I've been with Lucho.

Home of Barca Fans