João Laporta

serghei

It doesn't matter though. Whoever buys Barca or Madrid etc. will want to capitalize on their brand power to make money in the end. Everything will be centered around profitability, of course the club might benefit along the way but decisions will be made not for the benefit of the club and the wishes and hopes of its members and fans etc., rather almost entirely on profitability and we will be constantly at the mercy of the owner(s)' whims.

Don't think that's true. Don't think you buy clubs to make money off them (that's a by-product for me), you buy them to feel powerful, popular and influent, and to be appreciated by millions of people.

Florentino Perez is much more famous than the CEO of ExxonMobil for example, despite Real Madrid being rated as maybe 100 times less valuable.

The popularity and exposure football brings is very appealing to some people who maybe have huge money but aren't known. And the only way you get access to that fame and popularity is by winning. Not money, but titles and laurels.

Porque

Tebas is also more famous than the President of the PL. Way Spanish football works.

Question is also if Barcelona were bought, is there any guarantees the buyers would spend alot considering the FFP restrictions in Spanish football.

Peter Lim is as rich as Boehly, a very shrewd businessman, but Spanish football doesn't offer the value proposition to invest heavy in it. With his initial Mendes support, one can only imagine what he had done if he instead got in early to the PL.

I get Barcelona is a different level than Valencia, but something tells me we would screw up privatization. Probably have to be Catalan shareholders and then get a crook like Rosell or incompetence like Bartomeu being majority shareholder then Laportistas with minority share and fighting for a coup.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Don't think that's true. Don't think you buy clubs to make money off them (that's a by-product for me), you buy them to feel powerful, popular and influent, and to be appreciated by millions of people.

Florentino Perez is much more famous than the CEO of ExxonMobil for example, despite Real Madrid being rated as maybe 100 times less valuable.

The popularity and exposure football brings is very appealing to some people who maybe have huge money but aren't known. And the only way you get access to that fame and popularity is by winning. Not money, but titles and laurels.

I don't think so. Sure everyone has ego and wants to be appreciated, but to these billionaires and rich men and women, what motivates them the most is not how well they are known or how much people love them or appreciate them, it is the money that counts.

I don't think those billionaire owners such as the Glasers, the Kronkes and John Henry etc. bought Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool to feel more powerful and popular or being appreciated, they have bought other sports teams or clubs in the US too with the same purpose, they are all part of their business and investment portfolio, it is all about making them more money in the end. The rich states that are not lack of money, mostly bought clubs as an act of sports-washing.

serghei

Tebas is also more famous than the President of the PL. Way Spanish football works.

Question is also if Barcelona were bought, is there any guarantees the buyers would spend alot considering the FFP restrictions in Spanish football.

Peter Lim is as rich as Boehly, a very shrewd businessman, but Spanish football doesn't offer the value proposition to invest heavy in it. With his initial Mendes support, one can only imagine what he had done if he instead got in early to the PL.

I get Barcelona is a different level than Valencia, but something tells me we would screw up privatization. Probably have to be Catalan shareholders and then get a crook like Rosell or incompetence like Bartomeu being majority shareholder then Laportistas with minority share and fighting for a coup.

I think La Liga FFP can do nothing about it. Injection of capital is allowed no?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
It depends on who buys the club. Although as Porque said we might somehow mess that up too.

Windhook

There should be a referendum among socios if transforming the club into private entity comes up, right?

Anyway this scenario has single digit% probability.

Faced with bankruptcy the club will sell the big players and start from zero with its greatest asset - La Masia.

Club ownership is an issue in lots of places. United fans have been against their owners for decades, PSG and Man City fans avoid discussions about the fact they are owned by Arabs. It's like having a sister, who's a great earner, but you know she's an elite hooker.:lol:

FinBarcelonafan

There should be a referendum among socios if transforming the club into private entity comes up, right?

Anyway this scenario has single digit% probability.

Faced with bankruptcy the club will sell the big players and start from zero with its greatest asset - La Masia.

Club ownership is an issue in lots of places. United fans have been against their owners for decades, PSG and Man City fans avoid discussions about the fact they are owned by Arabs. It's like having a sister, who's a great earner, but you know she's an elite hooker.:lol:

It's tough, because back of your head you always know, if you win, it's because the money and not because your organisation is so great.

It will never feel as good or as deserved.

It's like using cheat codes in Playstation game and winning.

Porque

[MENTION=22241]Porque[/MENTION], by "double height perimeter advertising", do you mean those digital advertising boards by the sidelines in the EPL and some German stadium that are taller than we normally see elsewhere? Personally I am not bothered by the standard (not double height) advertising boards as I am used to them, I don't think the taller ones are that much more effective in terms of grabbing the eyeballs anyways.

Missed this. Yes, exactly that.

delancey

[Fabrizio Romano] Bar?a president Laporta:
"We've signed players for
twitter.com
?215m and sold for ?141m, we made a competitive team for ?74m", "We've reduced the wage bill by around ?100m, and so we're planning to reduce another ?70m. We've saved Barcelona from financial ruin, yes"

-

Wait, which players did we sell for 141m within the same period of us spending 215m euro?

Messigician

twitter.com
?215m and sold for ?141m, we made a competitive team for ?74m", "We've reduced the wage bill by around ?100m, and so we're planning to reduce another ?70m. We've saved Barcelona from financial ruin, yes"

-

Wait, which players did we sell for 141m within the same period of us spending 215m euro?

Lying Joan Laputa

MTL_Barca

twitter.com

-

Emerson 25M
Firpo 15M
Todibo 8.5M
Alena 5M
Coutinho 20M
Aubameyang 12.5M
Depay 3M
Bellerin 1M
~90M

Ferran 55M
Emerson 15M
Raphinha 58M
Kounde 50M
Lewandowski 45M
Torre 5M
~228M

I think we get about 10M for Trincao, and there's Griezmann as well. Doesn't quite add up with the reported numbers, but also not too far off.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans