João Laporta

jamrock

Yea Perez went & negotiated this deal all my himself & brought it back to the clubs like hey take this, jeeez.

The deal the 3 clubs worked out offers a orders of magnitude better package than the cvc deal, all that infrastructure & "digital" foot print, whatever the fuq that means, will mean nothing if you are paying back 11x more in interest.

Like someone else said if la Liga wants to go grow their brand, they have to offer a much better television experience to the world, that's the first & most important thing, watching the epl here in the US compare to watching la Liga is like watching 1st division football compare to non league football in how its presented.

That's where the money is, that's what they have to get right.

You need to have the us market, Asian & Africa (as a growing market) lockes if you want to grow your business.

Mexico, central America even wider Europe kinda irrelevant, nothing in the structure of the cvc deal will help those.

La Liga is like uefa they are just selling their rights to the highest bidder with no real plan in sight, you literally cannot get what is supposed to be the biggiest football competition in the world on network TV in the us, great way to grow the sport. Lol

You can literally see every F1 race & all the practices of ESPN that's how u build out a brand, & that shit looks beautiful when you watch it.

Not getting your television experience right is like Nixon not wearing makeup for his first television appearance vs Kennedy, only gonna be one winner in that situation.

Sigh the damn Perez deal la Liga if that's what people want to call it, but knowing the Spanish people, they will go with the cvc deal, because it's offers the best "package"

Porque

Perez negotiated the deal through the backing of Barcelona (and Bilbao). That's logical and gives him more leverage having Spains two super clubs.

Just because Madrid is our biggest historic rival, does not contradict any reason to financially collaborate. It does not weaken Laporta as a President either. He has two choices. Partner with Florentino Madrid or partner with Tebas/LaLiga.

We also have too/should come to terms that in the current climate of football that our rivalry with Madrid is nothing more than a marketing angle. The Pigs heads rotted long ago and the "enemy"is now bigger. We're fuckin' Vegeta :lol:

So far, the deals have not been concluded but Florentino has shown he has had the capacity to bring bigger financial deals than the CL (ESL) and now, LaLiga-CVC.

So obviously he is looking out for whats best for Madrid first and everyone else second, but what is best for Madrid is also best for us.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
You need to have the us market, Asian & Africa (as a growing market) lockes if you want to grow your business.

Mexico, central America even wider Europe kinda irrelevant, nothing in the structure of the cvc deal will help those.

What do you mean irrelevant? Mexico and Central America, along with South America is a prime market for La Liga due to close language and cultural affinity, and they are growing too, just like Asia and Africa. The deal with Mexico and Central America is the latest sweetened deal La Liga struck, not the only one obviously.

CVC has experience and expertise in promoting other sports such as F1, I think that will help, as supposed to giving each club a loan and tell them to run with it.

La Liga is like uefa they are just selling their rights to the highest bidder with no real plan in sight, you literally cannot get what is supposed to be the biggiest football competition in the world on network TV in the us, great way to grow the sport. Lol

You can literally see every F1 race & all the practices of ESPN that's how u build out a brand, & that shit looks beautiful when you watch it.

In the US you only have very few selected EPL games on network TV, right? Some EPL games here and there are on cable channels and the majority of them are shown on Peacock, which is NBC's OTT streaming service, correct? La Liga, Bundesliga and if I am not mistaken, Serie A games are all on ESPN+. So not that different actually.

Windhook

Just because Madrid is our biggest historic rival, does not contradict any reason to financially collaborate. It does not weaken Laporta as a President either. He has two choices. Partner with Florentino Madrid or partner with Tebas/LaLiga

I'd prefer partnering with a succesful businessman and former politician which Florentino is rather than dealing with some ordinary lawyer that Tebas is, I rate his presidency of La Liga as poor and controversial.

To quote my all time favorite movie, The Godfather: Part II: "Hyman Roth always makes money for his partners." :lol:

jamrock

What do you mean irrelevant? Mexico and Central America, along with South America is a prime market for La Liga due to close language and cultural affinity, and they are growing too, just like Asia and Africa. The deal with Mexico and Central America is the latest sweetened deal La Liga struck, not the only one obviously.

CVC has experience and expertise in promoting other sports such as F1, I think that will help, as supposed to giving each club a loan and tell them to run with it.

In the US you only have very few selected EPL games on network TV, right? Some EPL games here and there are on cable channels and the majority of them are shown on Peacock, which is NBC's OTT streaming service, correct? La Liga, Bundesliga and if I am not mistaken, Serie A games are all on ESPN+. So not that different actually.

1) because those markets won't generate the revenues the others have & will, only relevance they have is culturally.

2) you can get up to 5 epl games live each week, nbc which is a prime channel has the biggiest match each weekend,nbc sports & USA broadcast another 3/4 those are all standard channels that come with every chance package.

La Liga & the budesliga are all behind a paywall on ESPN plus, if memory serves me right not even the clasico was broadcasted on regular ESPN, pretty sure I'm right because Bayern vs Dortmund this weekend wasn't live on regular ESPN either, you had to get it through ESPN plus.

CL is also behind a paywall on Paramount+ (because uefa is also stupid), Serie A the same, but at least they broadcast 1 big game every two weeks on cbs sports.

Compare all that to the EPL & it's a joke, & like I said in my post, you can even get every single practice session not even just the races, practice session on ESPN's main channel.

How the EPL & F1 is doing it is how you build a brand in the largest sports television market in the world..

I actually came across a article on the guardian yesterday by Jonathan Wilson that was in essence saying the same thing I did, what la Liga & Serie A is trying to do, which is just take the money where they can get it, is a bad play, they would be better served giving it away on the cheap but have it broadcasted over free to air channels in markets like the US, play the long game to build there brand.

Focus on Africa, Asian & North America like the EPL & F1 and you can't lose, gotta get your product Infront of as many eyeballs as possible.

That's how you fix la Liga, not by the cvc deal.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
1) because those markets won't generate the revenues the others have & will, only relevance they have is culturally.

2) you can get up to 5 epl games live each week, nbc which is a prime channel has the biggiest match each weekend,nbc sports & USA broadcast another 3/4 those are all standard channels that come with every chance package.

La Liga & the budesliga are all behind a paywall on ESPN plus, if memory serves me right not even the clasico was broadcasted on regular ESPN, pretty sure I'm right because Bayern vs Dortmund this weekend wasn't live on regular ESPN either, you had to get it through ESPN plus.

CL is also behind a paywall on Paramount+ (because uefa is also stupid), Serie A the same, but at least they broadcast 1 big game every two weeks on cbs sports.

Compare all that to the EPL & it's a joke, & like I said in my post, you can even get every single practice session not even just the races, practice session on ESPN's main channel.

How the EPL & F1 is doing it is how you build a brand in the largest sports television market in the world..

I actually came across a article on the guardian yesterday by Jonathan Wilson that was in essence saying the same thing I did, what la Liga & Serie A is trying to do, which is just take the money where they can get it, is a bad play, they would be better served giving it away on the cheap but have it broadcasted over free to air channels in markets like the US, play the long game to build there brand.

Focus on Africa, Asian & North America like the EPL & F1 and you can't lose, gotta get your product Infront of as many eyeballs as possible.

That's how you fix la Liga, not by the cvc deal.

I know that I am a little pedantic by now so please excuse me, but I have checked, this past weekend only one EPL game was aired on network TV (Watford vs. City on NBC), all other ones are either on cable channels such as NBCSN, or USA (you have to pay to get these channels) and streaming service Peacock. Yes, more available than ESPN+ or CBS Sports (paid as well, for Serie A games apparently), but still most EPL games are behind a paywall of some sort (cable or streaming).

I don't think these leagues can control what the rights holders in each country/territory plan to do. And actually, apparently with the newer generations of people who are increasingly on mobile phones and tablets, streaming is the way to go, compared to traditional TV in the living room. Last year I read an article on Bundesliga's decision to ditch Fox Sports (showing games on cable TV channels, FS1 and FS2) and went to ESPN+ was because apparently the outreach was supposed to be much higher, not sure how they did their analysis and reached that conclusion.

Anyways, La Liga is way behind the EPL in everything and we do need help to keep it grow for sure, whatever that is.

mc_lovin

The latest letter to Tebas/La Liga is tasty. Maybe I am biased, but it doesn't help that one party (Tebas) is just ranting instead of addressing points. It's getting painfully obvious that the La Liga FFP rules were not loosened to force clubs into taking the CVC deal.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
The latest letter to Tebas/La Liga is tasty. Maybe I am biased, but it doesn't help that one party (Tebas) is just ranting instead of addressing points. It's getting painfully obvious that the La Liga FFP rules were not loosened to force clubs into taking the CVC deal.

Strange narrative. If roles were reversed you'd not want them loosened either so dont see why you'd take that line

Barca officially back to 2001 and gotta begin by looking for a Ronaldinho that will bring the joy out and make Barca play nice energetic style inspiring others to do the same. Fati isn't that. Scouting years ahead. And counting that players around Europe take pity on the club + have stones to come and help even though would get better working conditions elsewhere

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I hope Laporta learns his lesson before he opens his mouth with some sort of bravado again.

Just do your job and stop talking so much.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Joan Laporta: "I call on all Catalans: now more than ever, we have to row in the same direction. We will work to reverse the sporting and financial situation." [via tv3]

Home of Barca Fans