João Laporta

Birdy

That is an old rumor, and it seems right now it isn't the case. i.e it was false rumour.
If it was, Xavi would have been Barca coach by now

I haven't seen any denial of it by a reputable journalist.
On the contrary, since Koeman was fired, I have seen many reports on the so-called 'Barca clause' on Xavi's contract

khaled_a_d

I haven't seen any denial of it by a reputable journalist.
On the contrary, since Koeman was fired, I have seen many reports on the so-called 'Barca clause' on Xavi's contract

Then why it isn't a done deal.
The reports are contradicting themselves.
And Barca clause doesn't mean 1M clause, and doesn't mean it is midseason either.

Birdy

Then why it isn't a done deal.
The reports are contradicting themselves.
And Barca clause doesn't mean 1M clause, and doesn't mean it is midseason either.

I think it's not a done deal because the Barca board are playing the game the Qataris want:
they are trying to close this in a 'friendly way'
which they totally shouldn't, or should not cater to their wishes

PS:
Actually, this piece of news below sounds closer to the truth than the others:
[MENTION=19819]Arsen[/MENTION]io_FCB
?
Oct 28
There is a Bar?a clause in Xavi's contract with an agreed amount, but also a gentleman's pact with the board not to execute it.
@fansjavimiguel

Javi Miguel is a journalist very very close to Xavi.
The 'gentlemenan's pact' means that paying the clause upfront will be seen by the Qataris as a 'hostility act'

Again, Barca board should not abide by any of this IMO

Last edited:

Birdy

I have to say...1m is really low.

Maybe that part is not true, and it's slightly more expensive.

Thing is: the rest remain.
There is Barca clause of some sort BUT executing it will be considered a 'hostility act' by the Qataris

mc_lovin

I think it's not a done deal because the Barca board are playing the game the Qataris want:

PS:
Actually, this piece of news below sounds closer to the truth than the others:
[MENTION=19819]Arsen[/MENTION]io_FCB
?
Oct 28
There is a Bar?a clause in Xavi's contract with an agreed amount, but also a gentleman's pact with the board not to execute it.
@fansjavimiguel

Javi Miguel is a journalist very very close to Xavi.
The 'gentlemenan's pact' means that paying the clause upfront will be seen by the Qataris as a 'hostility act'

Again, Barca board should not abide by any of this IMO

Aye, just go on a rampage like Bartomeu and piss everyone off.

behindbrowneyes

Although I don't think current board would do it the Barto way, I believe it is more because Xavi doesn't want to burn bridges with the Qataris.

According to Edu Polo (who seems to have good links with Xavi's camp):
- Everything clear between Barca and Xavi. He'll earn less than in Qatar and a significant part of his salary will be based on performances.
- Xavi has already spoken with the Sheik and asked for approval to fulfill his dream.
- Qataris don't want money, but a delegation of Barca representatives to clarify details. For them it is a question out of respect.
- They will be asking for a friendly between Barca and Al-Sadd in Qatar in the next 2 years. (which makes sense since they won't get the chance to fill one of their many stadiums after the World Cup very often)
- Al-Sadd have one game today and then they have a break of one and a half months. It makes sense for them to ask Xavi to coach the remaining games (with today being the last one). Expect things to go quickly now. Alemany and Yuste are travelling to Qatar to sort things out. Don't think that Xavi will sit on the Barca bench against Celta though. He'll start working in the international break which was probably the plan all along. Laporta just got impulsive and fired Koeman right away.

khaled_a_d

Although I don't think current board would do it the Barto way, I believe it is more because Xavi doesn't want to burn bridges with the Qataris.

According to Edu Polo (who seems to have good links with Xavi's camp):
- Everything clear between Barca and Xavi. He'll earn less than in Qatar and a significant part of his salary will be based on performances.
- Xavi has already spoken with the Sheik and asked for approval to fulfill his dream.
- Qataris don't want money, but a delegation of Barca representatives to clarify details. For them it is a question out of respect.
- They will be asking for a friendly between Barca and Al-Sadd in Qatar in the next 2 years. (which makes sense since they won't get the chance to fill one of their many stadiums after the World Cup very often)
- Al-Sadd have one game today and then they have a break of one and a half months. It makes sense for them to ask Xavi to coach the remaining games (with today being the last one). Expect things to go quickly now. Alemany and Yuste are travelling to Qatar to sort things out. Don't think that Xavi will sit on the Barca bench against Celta though. He'll start working in the international break which was probably the plan all along. Laporta just got impulsive and fired Koeman right away.

Bein commentator (the Arabic/Qatari one) has talked about Xavi during last night game more than the game itself.
What he said is basically there is a reasonable buyout, but Barca are broke and aren't ready to pay it.
So it is either Xavi buy himself out, or Barca reach a friendly deal (friendly game, Laporta meeting them)

I mean we can either act as the beggars we are and beg properly, or act arrogantly and pay them what the earned.
Not sure why they should be considered the bad guys there :lol:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Seems pretty clear, Laporta has previously maintained his opposition/criticism of Qatar in world of football - to go and be party to a dog & pony show would be tacit approval and a PR boon for the Petro nation which is precisely why Al Sadd push for it

I prefer it this way then selling yourself out as often as Bartomeu & Rosell did

JamDav1982

Seems pretty clear, Laporta has previously maintained his opposition/criticism of Qatar in world of football - to go and be party to a dog & pony show would be tacit approval and a PR boon for the Petro nation which is precisely why Al Sadd push for it

I prefer it this way then selling yourself out as often as Bartomeu & Rosell did

What fantasy world do you live in where Laporta is held in such high esteem that him visiting Qatar is a 'PR boon'?

Nothing to do with that and he would snap their hand off if Qatar offered a huge shirt sponsorship deal anyway.

They are pushing for it as they want to be on equal terms if willing to give up the 5m clause not anything to do with Laporta being some huge name they want publicity from. Stop trying to take any angle to make this out to be some huge Laporta victory based on morals.

This is same Laporta agreeing to a game in Saudi Arabia for Maradona to earn 3m for the club....If moral reasons and criticising Qatar is reason for not going he looks like a fucking moron but the usual folk will lap it up it seems.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

The reality is Laporta has no objections againt Qatar and just used that as a lie to attack previous boards sponsorship.

Now he feels may look like a hypocrite if flies there in person and deals with them directly for Xavi.

All while taking deals from Saudi Arabia to make money through some game for Maradona.

In short he is a politician who lied about his opposition to Qatar and now cant back down from it and has to try and appear to stick to that position. But in the next turn is dealing with Saudi Arabia.

Some folk are very easily fooled/pleased it seems.

Home of Barca Fans