João Laporta

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Alba and Roberto have apparently rejected a salary decrease so Laporta will speak to them directly.

Roberto want a 2/3 year contract extension if he is to take a paycut. Information is from https://twitter.com/10JoseAlvarez and even though he works with the clowns at El Chiringuito he seem to have good contacts with players and people in the club.

DonAK

https://twitter.com/xlemus/status/1418316149993922562

He's saying that Barca's payroll have been the highest in the world for a few years with players being paid well above what their performance warrants, so now would be a good time for the players to pay back some by taking paycuts(which would help the club), but the response haven't been positive so far.

It doesn't really work like he says, although I can understand if people in the club and these journos and reporters expected more from players like Alba and Sergi Roberto who are homegrown players but haven't accepted to take a paycut yet.

It's time to stop prancing around and be ruthless.

Bobo32

https://twitter.com/xlemus/status/1418316149993922562

He's saying that Barca's payroll have been the highest in the world for a few years with players being paid well above what their performance warrants, so now would be a good time for the players to pay back some by taking paycuts(which would help the club), but the response haven't been positive so far.

It doesn't really work like he says, although I can understand if people in the club and these journos and reporters expected more from players like Alba and Sergi Roberto who are homegrown players but haven't accepted to take a paycut yet.

It's time to stop prancing around and be ruthless.
I read somewhere that Griezmann hasn't even been asked to lower his wages yet.
Who knows what really goes on, same as one year ago when there was a lot of shit talk about the players not taking an immediate paycut after the virus situation.

Of course it's a big decision for a player to sign a way worse contract, nobody can have anything to say about a player not willing to do that - especially not one already on his last big contract. These players have around 10 year long carreers on the top, 15 if they're lucky and 20 in rare cases. Of course they have all the right to look after themselves. And if someone like Jordi Alba, who has played his best years for Barcelona, surely with offers from elsewhere, doesn't want to cut his wage in half, when he already earns less than a third of what the useless, illoyal, dancing french"man" in front of him does, it is very understandable. Maybe he even wants to, who the fuck knows. Not one who just gets info from the papers!

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It is a shame that the captains (especially Alba, Busquets and Roberto) are not leading by example. They need to understand if they don't budge, we won't be renew Messi and the new signings and the team will be paralyzed on the onset of the new season.

If they insist no, what options does Laporta have?

Last edited:

Bobo32

Nevermind a third, Alba earns less than a fifth that of Griezmann, according to the list that's easily available (I don't know of its accuracy but I don't know the same about Albas reasoning here either)
Coutinho earns as much as Alba, Pjanic earns more! Dembele and Umtiti both earn 40% more than Alba!

But the problem is the one who played (very well) for the club for almost ten years, rarely injured, rarely causing problems etc. He should be slaughtered, based on some rumours in the papers. Ridiculous!
If I was him, I'd want to say: after Umtiti, Pjanic, Dembele and Coutinho have gotten their wages reduced, I will talk!
Griezmann is just something else - more than five times more than Alba!
If Griezmanns wage was cut in half, it would save MORE money than if Alba, ter Stegen, Lenglet, Sergi Roberto and Busquets all did the same!

I am not sure what options Laporta have now, but he could've skipped signing some of the players he has signed. I wonder what the wages of Depay and Aguero are, for instance.

khaled_a_d

Alba and Roberto have apparently rejected a salary decrease so Laporta will speak to them directly.

Roberto want a 2/3 year contract extension if he is to take a paycut. Information is from https://twitter.com/10JoseAlvarez and even though he works with the clowns at El Chiringuito he seem to have good contacts with players and people in the club.
[MENTION=4451]Birdy[/MENTION]
And read last few posts as well
Sorry for the bother DonAK :lol:

ryuken

Almost august and deadwoods still here, Messi is still gone, great job Laporta, look like we stick with all the bums for another year.

MTL_Barca

It's not surprising that it's difficult, just asking for huge pay cuts isn't something players/agents will just happily jump on unless there is some incentive (extension, maybe higher pay/bonus later), especially if there are some let's just say less useful players that earn a fortune.

And as expected getting rid of the bums isn't easy as well. I mean just think about what clubs could maybe realistically take Umtiti, Coutinho, Griezmann or Pjanic on anything close to their current wages...think about it and get depressed :lol:

It's gonna be a long summer.

xXKonan

Lol, how the fuck does Roberto have any sort of leverage? The dude's contract expires next year.

I can't believe they would even consider giving him a new deal, let that fucker rot.

DonAK

FWIW Pique has agreed to take a paycut and it's apparently more than 50% of his current salary.

Gotta be honest, a small part of me that loves pure chaos would like to see the public reaction if these players keep refusing to help the club out and Messi decides he doesn't want to wait until the end of August and moves on to another club. Would reportedly have major ramifications for the club's finances with multiple sponsors having clauses where they can re-neg on their deals so unlikely to happen, but I wonder how bad it gets :thinking:

Last edited:

Bobo32

It's not surprising that it's difficult, just asking for huge pay cuts isn't something players/agents will just happily jump on unless there is some incentive

Forum users though, they'd happily cut their wage in half to save the company, even if they knew they'd be kicked out of said company in the next 5 years anyway.

Home of Barca Fans