João Laporta

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Joan Laporta has broken his silence. In the Auditori 1899 of the Camp Nou, the president of FC Barcelona has made his first appearance since he was elected president on March 7. Without giving excessive details about the economic situation, while waiting for the results of the Deloitte due diligence that will be presented in July, he acknowledged that "Bar?a is in a delicate economic situation, with significant losses and a very large debt". In addition, he has anticipated that "we have the wage bill at 110% of income, we do not comply with the Final Fair Play ".

Laporta's press conference had raised great expectations. The future of the football team, pending the renewal of Messi and the decision on the coach, the layoffs in the professional sections, the Super League, the guarantees or the financial situation of the club, after the due diligence of Deloitte, were some of the issues on which he was expected to speak.

“We have the need to explain ourselves”, Joan Laporta began by saying, acknowledging that “we have detected a certain impatience in the environment”. "I would like to explain the short-term roadmap", he added, recalling that the rhythms are different since "we have reached the middle of the season" ending a project that has not worked "and starting a" new club model that will reverse the economic situation that we have found ourselves in ”.

"On the economic issue I will not be able to be very precise because we are under the audit that will close in July, " he said. "On June 20 the assembly of delegates will be held, and there we will have more information", since "things are coming out that we have to solve, some worrying, others surprising, and others complicated but that have a solution," he added.

The club drew up a budget of 828 million euros for this season, with a forecast of one million euros in profit, but now they are working with a scenario of about 700 million euros in income and losses of 300 million euros, that would triple those of the 2019-2020 financial year.

"In any case, we will be transparent as much as possible," he said, while advancing that "we consider asking for responsibilities" for actions such as the payment of 1.5 million euros to Lait?, although "we want to end the due diligence to analyze it because it has led us to a delicate economic situation, with significant losses and a very large debt ”. " We are in the process of restructuring the debt, " and analyzing possibilities also in the field of sponsorship. "Fortunately, Bar?a has very powerful assets", I have sentenced.

"We are reversing the economic situation, we have the wage bill at 110% of the expected income , inherited as a consequence in part of the coronavirus," he said, recognizing that "this will have to be adjusted and we are working." "We also have the Financial Fair Play, which now we do not comply with, for every one hundred (euros) that we release we can enter 25, a ratio that has its complexity to achieve", so "we must reduce expenses and increase income".

“ We have important offers for the jersey , although we want to renew with Rakuten and we are already in talks, but we have new ones that greatly improve what we have. And the title rights of the stadium and other categories allow us to be optimistic, but at the rate that these decisions entail ”, he stated.

In relation to Espai Barca, he stated that "the audit will determine the final budget that will be more than the 825 million planned" , although in any case it is a figure that falls short. "The City Council has been asked for an improvement plan to which they were receptive, and by the end of the year we will have the license to start the project: the Palau and the renovation of the Camp Nou, which has become obsolete," he said. " In eight months the roof will have to be made and we will have to move, " he assured about the need to go to play at the Montjuic Olympic Stadium. "There will be a period as short as possible that we will have to play matches outside the stadium, but it will not be as long as we thought," he detailed.

In relation to the Super League , he points out that “it was a very advanced project when we arrived ”, and that it was very important that Bar?a “be in this competition”. "After a week reviewing the documents with the lawyers, we concluded that we should be part with a reservation: submit it to the assembly of delegates, " being the only club that raised this reservation. "We must defend the interests of Bar?a and try to make football sustainable, with problems that make us suffer financially," he detailed. In any case, "Bar?a's position is always that of dialogue with Uefa, Fifa, the federations and LaLiga."

At the sporting level, he has assured "there are no transitional seasons", at the end of the season it is time to take stock. "We have arranged to meet next week," he explained about Ronald Koeman, without going into assessing whether Pep Guardiola or Xavi Hern?ndez are options, detailing that "Ronald gives the profile." While about Messi has explained that "the new contract is going well but is not done" , with a proposal "within the possibilities of the club." And he has anticipated that the first signings will be presented next week, while he has asked for patience for decision-making.

In relation to the changes in handball, he stated that he feels admiration for Xavier Pascual and David Barrufet, but that for "technical-sporting reasons the coach had to be changed". " Our project must have our seal and give a new impulse, these are times of change, " he detailed, announcing that Antonio Carlos Ortega will succeed him in office. Regarding Barrufet, he indicated that it was necessary to carry out restructuring, dispensing with technical secretaries in the sections to lighten the weight of the payroll. A situation similar to that of futsal. The only section that the technical secretary maintains is basketball, in the figure of the recently signed Juan Carlos Navarro, who returned to the club in April.

About the European Super League" I told Ceferin that we do not plan to apologize, for thinking nor are we going to pay a penalty that has no justification, " he explained about his conversation with the president of Uefa. "If we are sanctioned we will go to TAS and I am sure we will win," he said. Although it has recognized that the competition format does not exist and that now there is a company that has rights attributed by a court, whose judge has sent it to the Luxembourg Court for ratification based on the competition law of the European Union " .

"We want to promote dialogue", betting on "a more attractive format, with a deeper reflection on how young people see football ." "Football calls for innovation and changes," he said, recalling that they are still in contact with most of the founders of the Super League, a project from which the state-clubs that could even benefit from it have been unmarked, according to Laporta. "The big clubs are also to blame for the situation," he said, warning that they are working to make football more sustainable, detailing that "all clubs are in losses and in debt" when there are other agents in the football industry who are getting rich and "should be corrected" not "with more competitions so that there is more to distribute."

“ We have 1,200 million in debt and about 350 million in losses . We are working to reverse it and we will achieve it because we have important assets that attract investors ”, Laporta pointed out.

https://www.palco23.com/clubes/lapo...esos-no-cumplimos-el-finantial-fair-play.html

JerseyAddict

I was paying attention on what he says.
He is turning the point on Bartomeo's blame for current state. I hope f**** goes to jail.

About the team. He didn't say much...

Edit:
Interesting about Tebas and LL stance about UEFA sanctions to Barca and Real.
La Liga won't oppose UEFAs decisions... Laporta was quite "pacifistic" on the LL view.

Last edited:

Klysmakabouter

Publicly talking about hart Koemans heart condition (which Koemans management says is false, btw) is really bad form on Laporte. Who overall is handling the current situation very poorly. Tiptoeing around the issue, asking more time. I can respect you want Koeman out, but have some class man.

Seems to be a Bartomue 2.0. This is why the club is deteriorating.

FinBarcelonafan

I think after everything is said and done Koeman will continue for another season and then they'll make the change. Perhaps he's trying to convince Pep into committing from 2022 or maybe he'll go for Xavi next year after all.

Have a hard time seeing a genuine option right now. Shouldn't rush into making this decision. If he want to start his own project, a new project, he need a coach that will be there for the long-term.

I agree. It seems like there's no good options. In that case, waiting is better.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I rewatched his entire press conference. Overall a lot of wishy-washy, mumbo jumbo, skirting around the ambiguous stuff, a political speech essentially. Not too different from some of those Bartomeu gave before.

serghei

I rewatched his entire press conference. Overall a lot of wishy-washy, mumbo jumbo, skirting around the ambiguous stuff, a political speech essentially. Not too different from some of those Bartomeu gave before.

It seems that he came out and didn't say anything :lol:, just so show his face and say hello to the camera.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It seems that he came out and didn't say anything :lol:, just so show his face and say hello to the camera.

In Laporta's defense, he did come out with some concrete stuff such as the need to speed up the Espai Barca project (we hope to start the construction by the end of the year), that we will go to the Olympic Stadium to play, the financials (350m losses etc.). But yeah, overall a lot of the same things that we have heard before.

serghei

In Laporta's defense, he did come out with some concrete stuff such as the need to speed up the Espai Barca project (we hope to start the construction by the end of the year), that we will go to the Olympic Stadium to play, the financials (350m losses etc.). But yeah, overall a lot of the same things that we have heard before.

Yea, but the main interest was basically put to bed in this press conference with the audit is still ongoing, until July. We need to find out just how bad covid and Bartomeu hurt Barca and what we can do to recover.

mc_lovin

What were the expectations anyway? He confirmed incoming transfers for next week. Was vague about Koeman, because they are still working on that. Most interesting stuff was about the handball coach and why they part ways. Apparently he had an obscene clause if we win the CL - another Barto special.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Yea, but the main interest was basically put to bed in this press conference with the audit is still ongoing, until July. We need to find out just how bad covid and Bartomeu hurt Barca and what we can do to recover.

I honestly wonder what the point of today's press conference was. Sporting-wise, no news since we are still in the 15-day period :lol:, finances-wise we don't know all the details until July.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
What were the expectations anyway? He confirmed incoming transfers for next week. Was vague about Koeman, because they are still working on that. Most interesting stuff was about the handball coach and why they part ways. Apparently he had an obscene clause if we win the CL - another Barto special.

Not sure if Xavi Pascual's contract clause can be considered obscene, it is probably a big bonus if he wins the CL, or possibly automatic contract extension? Laporta made it sound like he is let go mostly as a cost-cutting measure.

El Gato

Villarato!
I honestly wonder what the point of today's press conference was. Sporting-wise, no news since we are still in the 15-day period :lol:, finances-wise we don't know all the details until July.

Politicians always do those to show they are doing something.

The most broadly cut quote to go on news headlines is about the response to Super League sanctions.

Bobo32

He is a politician and I think the quotes I've seen are sensible and good
No news maybe, but it garnered a lot of talk here on this forum in any way...

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

Fans and media being impatient more or less I think he alluded to in his opening statement.

You have people in the press acting like he's bad for not having solved the mess Bartomeu and the coronavirus crisis left behind.

khaled_a_d

Fans and media being impatient more or less I think he alluded to in his opening statement.

You have people in the press acting like he's bad for not having solved the mess Bartomeu and the coronavirus crisis left behind.

Exactly
He basically said where we stand, and as I said previously it is going to be long boring process

Home of Barca Fans