João Laporta

JamDav1982

Koeman is guaranteed to stay on no matter what. They can't afford to sack him and then replace him with another manager. They don't want to lock a new manager into a new contract if it goes wrong. We'd have to sack him and pay him off.

Sacking Koeman would cost us millions.... millions we can't afford to lose at the moment because of our debt. Koeman is a decent enough manager to stay on for another year. Basically, the little money we do have has to be used in other areas.

Doesnt work like that.

If Barca thought a new manager would have more chance of winning and go further in CL etc then it makes sense to take the financial hit.

Not all about money.

Joan

Koeman is guaranteed to stay on no matter what. They can't afford to sack him and then replace him with another manager. They don't want to lock a new manager into a new contract if it goes wrong. We'd have to sack him and pay him off.

Sacking Koeman would cost us millions.... millions we can't afford to lose at the moment because of our debt. Koeman is a decent enough manager to stay on for another year. Basically, the little money we do have has to be used in other areas.

Of course they can sack him.

Barca can lose way more by keeping a bad manager than playing a sack fee. Not saying Koeman is bad, though. But if Laporta thought he was, he'd sack him as soon as he saw fit.

For instance, no matter how broke the club is, they sack Setien.

xxxxxx

I never stated Koeman is a bad manager. That's why I said they'll keep a decent manager on for another year and save millions by doing it.

Now, if we were really struggling and had a bad manager in charge, then of course we'd let that manager go and try and get a new manager in.

xxxxxx

Doesnt work like that.

If Barca thought a new manager would have more chance of winning and go further in CL etc then it makes sense to take the financial hit.

Not all about money.

There aren't many good available ones out there at the moment, especially for the right price.

Just saying, we might as well keep Koeman on for another year and save millions. There's no need to panic and try out an inexperienced Xavi. Besides, under the circumstances, Koeman isn't doing a bad job. He doesn't have any money to spend and he hasn't really got the best squad to work with. He deserves another year.

Our focus should be on reducing the debt in other areas.

TheStig

I think the market is changing and the prices will become very similar to those in the 2009. No way that the prices stay the same as in 2019 after and especially during the pandemic. Which means it will be exactly like when Laporta went.

Everybody is saying how everything changed in the last 10 years but we all don't have a clue how the deals are made behind the scenes. I think it's very similar to 10 years ago and the same agents are running the show. Of course there won't be big signings this year, who doesn't know that?

Marshall D Teach

I think the market is changing and the prices will become very similar to those in the 2009. No way that the prices stay the same as in 2019 after and especially during the pandemic. Which means it will be exactly like when Laporta went.

Everybody is saying how everything changed in the last 10 years but we all don't have a clue how the deals are made behind the scenes. I think it's very similar to 10 years ago and the same agents are running the show. Of course there won't be big signings this year, who doesn't know that?

Yes. The market deflated massively last year. We might not see another 100m+ deal for a while.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
El Presidente

laporta-1557310656507-1024x682.jpg

Horatio

You're welcome
lol...I swear I was about to post in the Koeman thread yesterday "icing on the cake would be if he could make DonAK return."

xxxxxx

I disagree.

If anything, the prices are going to get worse. Inflation is always going to be a thing. Besides, Laporta spent 65m euros plus Eto'o for Ibra. Ronaldo went to Real Madrid for 94m euros. They also spent 70m euros on Kaka. That was just 2009. If anything, clubs will want as much money as they can due to COVID. Profits have fallen, so clubs have to balance the books in the best way they can.

Once a standard has been set, they tend to go worse. You're not going to get world-class players like Haaland for under 100m. Heck, Dortmund was asking for 100m plus from Man Utd back in the summer for Sancho. Clubs reflect the market value, not COVID or the football bodies. If a club feels that player is worth 100m plus, they're not going to sell for way less.

Laporta may be able to get some average players for a bit cheaper, but he isn't going to get the Haaland's or the Mbappe's for less than what they're worth.... even due to COVID. It doesn't work like that.

Look at the summer of 2020 for instance: Havertz went to Chelsea for 80m, Osimhen went to Lazio for 80m, Diaz went to City for 72m euros.... and so on. Those players are good players, but I wouldn't class them as world-class players. They still went for very high prices despite the pandemic.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter. We have no money. Even if we do somehow get some money in, we're not going to sign any big players. They're going to cost too much because of our debt. We probably have to limit the amount of spending we can do in the first 18 months or so. We have to pay 266m euros back to the banks in June and then another 160m euros by the end of the year. We also have to reduce our wages due to the salary cap in La Liga. Things won't get better for a while.

xxxxxx

Yes. The market deflated massively last year. We might not see another 100m+ deal for a while.

That's not true.

Dias went for 72m euros, Havertz went for 80m euros, Osimhen went for 72m euros, Ben Chilwell went for over 50m euros, Werner went for 53m euros (but he would have easily gone for way more if it weren't for his release clause), Partey went for 50m euros, Ake for 50m euros. The list goes on and on. I wouldn't class those players as world-class players, but they still went for big prices. Actually, players like Chilwell and Ake are average players but still went for big prices.

In other words, if players like Haaland and Mbappe become available this summer, they're going for over 100m.

Horatio

You're welcome
Also: Koeman will never be sacked. Next president will make the rounds among Barca veterans and ask them "What do you think of Koeman?", and they will unanimously answer "un crack."

Andresito

Staff member

Very probable. The two biggest stars in the world, Haaland and Mbappe will go below their market values either this or next year. Mbappe might even move for free with the highest sign on we've ever seen.

Another example: Sancho was considered expensive with the 100m Dortmund wanted. Don't think they have strengthened their position in demanding more for him. Will probably be a Havertz/Frenkie amount of around 80m, despite being English and having proved more.

Home of Barca Fans