João Laporta

FC433

His relationship with MR would not make a difference; however, what Laporta has is that he knows what needs to be done. Been there before. Others might play hard/ attempt to negotiate, which will complicate things.

The good news is that Juve are looking to extend Morata's loan for another season.

- BvB fail to secure a top 4 spot
- KM does not renew his contract with PSG

Will and should increase our chances of getting Haaland. 2022 will be a bit harder to get him.

xxxxxx

The more words I hear/see coming from his mouth, the more I don't want him here. He got absolutely lucky the last time he was in charge. A great youth system to build off. The transfer market wasn't as mad as it is now. He still spent 452m euros and only got back in 142m euros.

It seems he's just saying anything to get elected. His proposals don't sound great at all. The only way he gets players like Alaba and Haaland is if he puts the club in even worse debt.... and we're already close to bankruptcy! I can already tell he's going to offer Messi a new 4-year contract where he'll be on 750k a week.

This is going to end in disaster.

xxxxxx

He is not stuck in the past at all.Font is much more stuck in the past as him.Laporta is adaptable.His first great team,with Ronaldinho,Deco,Giuly and Eto'o was different from the one of Guardiola with Xavi,Iniesta,Messi.I don't understand how anyone can't give this man a chance.He is our greatest president ever.By far.No one deserves another chance like him.

Laporta was the luckiest president in Barcelona's history. Look at the youth system he had to work with. He still spent a lot of money back then. The 2003/2004 squad he had to start off with was a better team overall than the one we have now. It just got better and better for him because of the youth system. Iniesta, Valdes and Messi in the first 2 years.

I don't think Laporta has what it takes to get us out of this mess. He doesn't have money, the youth system, a good coach, or even a good squad to work with.

SmilerBam

Laporta was the luckiest president in Barcelona's history. Look at the youth system he had to work with. He still spent a lot of money back then. The 2003/2004 squad he had to start off with was a better team overall than the one we have now. It just got better and better for him because of the youth system. Iniesta, Valdes and Messi in the first 2 years.

I don't think Laporta has what it takes to get us out of this mess. He doesn't have money, the youth system, a good coach, or even a good squad to work with.
1.The youth system:the youth system it's still in place.Same principles.Maybe not exactly the same players,but that is once in a lifetime generation(Xavi,Iniesta,Puyol,Messi etc.).I m sure tho we can still find great players in LA Masia,see Fati or Puig.Maybe more.
2.The coaches were his decisions.Rjkaard was put by him,so Guardiola.That is not luck,that is good management.Heb practically build two great teams in 8 years.If that is not ok with you guys,than nothing will.
We'll have to see if he can turnaround the situation.Financially,we are worse now than in 2003.But football wise,we are barely the same.Back then,La Liga was more competitive in we even played in UEFA Cup.Now it's not the same and we can still have the CL money to rebuild.

jamrock

Go back to your room.

Devils

We have no chance to get Haaland.We should focus first on not being bankrupt.

Lol. Players are investments.

If a player like Haaland will provide an adequate ROI, which everyone will agree that he will, then any board will find a way to finance the transfer.

FC Barcelona will surely be better off financially if they sign him than not.

xxxxxx

Go back to your room.

I'm speaking the truth.

People talk about him saving the club, but he still spent enough money to do it. He spent over 450m euros in his time here and only got back 142m euros. He got players like Pique, Henry, Eto'o and Ronaldinho in for pretty cheap, but the transfer market was different back then. If you were to get players like Henry and Ronaldinho these days, you would easily be paying over 100m to do it.... especially from clubs like PSG and Arsenal. He's not going to be able to bring that type of quality with no money and with the amount of debt we're in. He's been out of the business for over 10 years.... and I think he's out of touch.

He was also lucky from the youth system and their homegrown talent during his time. Messi, Valdes, Iniesta, Cesc, Pique (he shouldn't have let Cesc and Pique go in the first place). He also had other homegrown talents like Puyol and Xavi. He had by far the best system from La Masia to build off.

xxxxxx

Lol. Players are investments.

If a player like Haaland will provide an adequate ROI, which everyone will agree that he will, then any board will find a way to finance the transfer.

FC Barcelona will surely be better off financially if they sign him than not.

It really doesn't matter if he's an investment, we simply do not have the money to make that type of investment. We're close to bankruptcy, and I'm pretty sure we have to pay a big chunk of debt off in the summer (not to mention, we also have to pay Messi his 33m loyalty bonus in the summer). We haven't got the luxury of making big signings like Haaland or Alaba (I know he's a free agent, but he'll demand 250k to 300k a week and a big signing-on fee). Besides, I don't think Haaland and Alaba wants to come to a team that's going through a big transition like us.

Last edited:

Devils

It really doesn't matter if he's an investment, we simply do not have the money to make that type of investment. We're close to bankruptcy, and I'm pretty sure we have to pay a big chunk of debt off in the summer (not to mention, we also have to pay Messi his 33m loyalty bonus in the summer). We haven't got the luxury of making big signings like Haaland or Alaba (I know he's a free agent, but he'll demand 250k to 300k a week and a big signing-on fee). Besides, I don't think Haaland and Alaba wants to come to a team that's going through a big transition like us.

As I said, they will find a way to finance it if they want to make the transfer. Whether it be through sales, refinancing our current debt, loans etc...

The worst possible financial scenario for Barcelona is to continue to further decline from the European elite and risk losing commercial and sponsorship revenue and deals as a result.

If signing a player like Haaland will change that, it will be well worth the risk, even if it is through another loan.

Last edited:

Joan

How do you thini these things unfold? What's crucial for Barca is to prevent its revenue from dropping. Be it by keeping Messi or signing big names, they'll have to find the money even if it means new loans. If Barca's revenue takes a hit, together with large debt figures, that's what might lead the club closer to bankrupcy and selling (potential) star names.

Barca won't try to save every dime because, in the end, that might lead the club to losing more.

That said, I don't believe we'll be able to pull big signings off this summer. But has to do with lack of time for the board more than anything.

xxxxxx

How do you thini these things unfold? What's crucial for Barca is to prevent its revenue from dropping. Be it by keeping Messi or signing big names, they'll have to find the money even if it means new loans. If Barca's revenue takes a hit, together with large debt figures, that's what might lead the club closer to bankrupcy and selling (potential) star names.

Barca won't try to save every dime because, in the end, that might lead the club to losing more.

That said, I don't believe we'll be able to pull big signings off this summer. But has to do with lack of time for the board more than anything.

Unfortunately, revenue is going to drop regardless due to COVID. We lost over 100m euros last year because of COVID. We still owe money to Liverpool and Ajax for Coutinho and de Jong. We have to pay a huge sum in the summer to the banks. Yeah, we can restructure our loans, but that's only going to help us in the short-term.

The first thing we have to do is loan/sell/release players who are on big salaries. Messi will have to take a 70% salary reduction.... if he doesn't like that, then he's gone. We also have to pay a 33m loyalty bonus to Messi in the summer. He'll also demand a big signing-on fee. Now, he could waive the loyalty bonus and signing-on fee, but do you honestly see him doing that? I don't. If he took the first half of the loyalty bonus, he's bound to take the 2nd half. I know Messi has more than enough money, but why would he take a much lower offer when he can take a better offer at another club, especially with a team that are very competitive and has an actual chance of winning the Champions League. The only reason Messi will stay is because of his family and that he can't be bothered to move. He knows deep down this team isn't winning another Champions League in the next 3 to 5 years. If anything, we'll probably be even more behind the competitive teams 5 years from now on.

We can try and sign realistic players like Depay, Garcia and Gini, who are free transfers. They're not great players, but it's the best we can do because of our debt. They'll at least add some more depth. Even if we pay installments to players like Haaland, it's going to be with money we don't have. Yeah, we can take a big loan from the bank, but it's just adding to the debt. Signing a player like Haaland won't automatically make us 10 times better. He could start off slow. He also needs good support. Besides, he'll have better teams to choose from than a team that's going through a transition.

I understand that we have to try and make this team competitive by keeping players like Messi at the club for his name alone and the revenue he brings, and I also understand that we have to sign a top talent so we can bring in extra revenue. But to do all of that, we have to be realistic. Reducing the debt now and releasing the big salary players will help us 2 or 3 years from now on. Yeah, we may not be competitive, but at least we'll have a chance 3 to 5 years from now on. It's all about reducing the massive debt and using the youth correctly. I don't want any bullshit promises and the president putting us even more debt.

Last edited:

Joan

Unfortunately, revenue is going to drop regardless due to COVID. We lost over 100m euros last year because of COVID. We still owe money to Liverpool and Ajax for Coutinho and de Jong. We have to pay a huge sum in the summer to the banks. Yeah, we can restructure our loans, but that's only going to help us in the short-term.

I understand that we have to try and make this team competitive by keeping players like Messi at the club for his name alone and the revenue he brings, and I also understand that we have to sign a top talent so we can bring in extra revenue. But to do all of that, we have to be realistic. Reducing the debt now and releasing the big salary players will help us 2 or 3 years from now on. Yeah, we may not be competitive, but at least we'll have a chance 3 to 5 years from now on. It's all about reducing the massive debt and using the youth correctly. I don't want any bullshit promises and the president putting us even more debt.

Our revenue dropped due to Covid, but it's expected to be only temporary and go up as soon as the pandemic passes. That might happen sooner rather than later. What we don't know and want to avoid testing at all costs is how strong Barca's brand is. Barca will have to negotiate new sponsorship deals soon and fighting for the top 4 is not a strong starting point. That's where we might lose a lot, much more than potential savings in two year's time would account for.

Restructuring debt is not a short-term solution, it's a way to make that debt manageable in the long run. If they manage to keep the revenue high, close to pre-covid numbers, paying off obligations should be within reach, even if our debt grows. Barca can't afford to lose pace and be out of the race for some years, it'll make it way harder for the club to bounce back since it has no background nor support.

About the last part, I agree. Laporta's out there making promises which he obviously cannot keep, that's silly. But either way, think once he wins the elections (no real competition there), the priority will be to negotiate good deals with the banks regarding debt restructuring and delaying immediate obligations. Only then they'll come up with a number of how much to spend in the summer. Offloading some of the high wages, little use players will be important, too.

In reality, it takes a serious plan and lots of uncertainties need to go. Messi's future being the biggest one.

jamrock

I'm speaking the truth.

People talk about him saving the club, but he still spent enough money to do it. He spent over 450m euros in his time here and only got back 142m euros. He got players like Pique, Henry, Eto'o and Ronaldinho in for pretty cheap, but the transfer market was different back then. If you were to get players like Henry and Ronaldinho these days, you would easily be paying over 100m to do it.... especially from clubs like PSG and Arsenal. He's not going to be able to bring that type of quality with no money and with the amount of debt we're in. He's been out of the business for over 10 years.... and I think he's out of touch.

He was also lucky from the youth system and their homegrown talent during his time. Messi, Valdes, Iniesta, Cesc, Pique (he shouldn't have let Cesc and Pique go in the first place). He also had other homegrown talents like Puyol and Xavi. He had by far the best system from La Masia to build off.

Yep he bought

Marquez
Dani alves
Abidal
Keita
Larsson
Yaya

I could keep going

& Yes
Dingo,villa, eto'o, henry for what is peanuts in today's market.

But guess what he bought those players.

Our last president brought us coutinho,griezzman,gomes, semedo....

One knew what real talent was & got them, the other the less said the better about him.

The issue isn't paying millions on players, you will pay what the market dictates, the issue is buying the wrong players for all that money. The issue isn't spending it's spending on crap.

So of course he spent money, great insight sherlock

Give laporta & the people he surrounded himself with the kinda money bartomeu wasted we would still be amongst the best teams in Europe.

Your logic makes about as much sense as a 10 year old.

Again go back to your room.

Home of Barca Fans