Pep Guardiola

Morten

"Fasten your seatbelts because we're going to have fun"

Said it before the sextuple like a true Don.

His Barcelona, Sacchi's Milan, Cruyff's Ajax, and DiStefano's RM have a mythical status in football history. Not just winning, but crushing opponents in style.

Obviously im biased, but i find it difficult to ignore Ancelotti/Zidanes RM on that list, sure, it wasn't always pretty, but whenever there was an European game, they just won.

SmilerBam

Obviously im biased, but i find it difficult to ignore Ancelotti/Zidanes RM on that list, sure, it wasn't always pretty, but whenever there was an European game, they just won.

Yes, you are biased. You might have won three consecutive CL's, but it was nothing innovating about it. You won those by sheer quality and other powerhouses declining. Barca/Bayern declining, english teams just not there yet, and Juve being the perrenial loser in CL.

Andresito

Staff member
Yes, you are biased. You might have won three consecutive CL's, but it was nothing innovating about it. You won those by sheer quality and other powerhouses declining. Barca/Bayern declining, english teams just not there yet, and Juve being the perrenial loser in CL.

And a couple of offsides and dodgy calls.

Don't @ me.

Morten

Bayern, declining, what are you talking about?

They've been great for much of the decade, including the times we met them, if it was so easy to beat them at the Allianz more teams would have done it, yet we were basically the only team to do so, multiple times.

Juventus were at their peak around 15/16 as well, though its true they are bottlers, other than that, Atletico was a great knock-out side as well back then.

English teams weren't quite on top yet, true enough, but City had the quality to up there, but i guess they lacked something.

serghei

Bayern, declining, what are you talking about?

They've been great for much of the decade, including the times we met them, if it was so easy to beat them at the Allianz more teams would have done it, yet we were basically the only team to do so, multiple times.

Juventus were at their peak around 15/16 as well, though its true they are bottlers, other than that, Atletico was a great knock-out side as well back then.

English teams weren't quite on top yet, true enough, but City had the quality to up there, but i guess they lacked something.

PSG and Liverpool both beat them on Allianz.

KingLeo10

I don't think Bayern were declined in 16/17 or 17/18. Those were very closely contested ties that could have gone either way.

The reason ZZ's RM isn't mentioned among those 4 teams I listed is because while you won a lot, it wasn't an iconic, all out domination.

1970s Ajax and Pep's Barca dominated on all fronts, and with a style that completely overwhelmed opponents.

1950s RM were a European juggernaut who had scorelines of 7-3 in European finals and such.

1980s Milan were the first modern CL team and won back to back CLs in style (destroyed RM 5-0 in a CL semi final match and such).

If all of your CL wins had been as dominant as 2017 then I think that team would also be in this list.

Right now, it's more in the Bayern 1970s and Liverpool 1980s realm. Winning machines but not really iconic.

BarcaOG

Banned
unpopular opinion (on this forum) but i do think Zidane's Real deserves a mention. they did not play ugly football by any means; on the contrary if you like lethal counterattacks and ruthless disposal of opposition, that was your team. 3 consecutive CLs is no small feat however you think about it.

obviously i still prefer Pep's barca, and think it superior, but we mustn't let our biases cloud us in this way. for example, bayern-barca are always tight games in the CL, and we have a historic difficulty beating Atleti in the CL too. but that Zidane side punished those teams like never before (though I agree with KL10 that at least with Bayern it was never entirely one sided)

Morten

I like to say Ancelotti/Zidane, because it really started with Ancelotti, but 13/14 was a different kind of team compared to 16-18 tbf.

Its true that while we did dominate games, our CL-campaigns weren't always that dominant overall, but i'd say 2 out of 4 CLs were quite dominant, 16/17 and 13/14 both had numerous memorable performances.

Birdy

unpopular opinion (on this forum) but i do think Zidane's Real deserves a mention. they did not play ugly football by any means; on the contrary if you like lethal counterattacks and ruthless disposal of opposition, that was your team. 3 consecutive CLs is no small feat however you think about it.

obviously i still prefer Pep's barca, and think it superior, but we mustn't let our biases cloud us in this way. for example, bayern-barca are always tight games in the CL, and we have a historic difficulty beating Atleti in the CL too. but that Zidane side punished those teams like never before (though I agree with KL10 that at least with Bayern it was never entirely one sided)

They played ugly football in 15/16, 19/20 and 20/21, got lucky in the first of the three. If they hadn't meet Pep or Tuchel they might be having 2 more by now.
They played shit, not particularly ugly, football in 17/18 and fuck all knows how they even managed to reach the final.

So, no, they should not be listed just for 1 dominant season (16/17), as they were not even close based on performance the other times

BarcaOG

Banned
They played ugly football in 15/16, 19/20 and 20/21, got lucky in the first of the three. If they hadn't meet Pep or Tuchel they might be having 2 more by now.
They played shit, not particularly ugly, football in 17/18 and fuck all knows how they even managed to reach the final.

So, no, they should not be listed just for 1 dominant season (16/17), as they were not even close based on performance the other times

i think thats unfair and biased. if you're a pep-pure type then of course you wont find that kind of football pleasing. but there are multiple ways of playing good football.

when they demolished atleti in like 20 minutes, i forget in which season, it wasnt ugly at all. it was ruthless and dominant. again, compare that with us, who look clueless whenever we face atleti in the CL

Home of Barca Fans