Power Ranking 2008/2009

M.L. King

The Preacher
Week 17

1(1) FC Barcelona 14-2-1; 5CW
Comment: It was one of those days when you simply knew Barca cannot stumble. While every one are awaiting Barca's losing their form Pep's bark sails close and closer to the final success. When was it that Barca lost? Oh yes, against Numancia at the beginning of the season. Since then no one has even come close to conquer Blagurana's stronghold.

2 (2) Atletico Madrid 9-3-5; 1L
Comment: A loss against Valencia was pretty painful but Aguirre's man will have to find a quick remedy to heal their fresh wounds. They are still a hot prospect and should continue in same fashion if they want to keep their dreams alive. This team is in a sort of transition with one of the best squads in the league. Aguirre's formula I was talking about a week ago has some element missing which would supplement it to its perfection.

3 (4) Valencia CF 10-3-4; 1W
Comment: Brave Emery has all the credit for a heroic performance of his proteges. Long-frustrated crowd in Valencia has finally got what they were yearning for so long. A win over more than a decent team... Villa has proved why he is one of the best strikers in Spain. This team will grow in weeks to come and will be hard to beat when it reaches its full form.

4 (5) Deportivo La Coruna 9-3-5; 2CW
Comment: Who would have thought before the season began that this sleeping lion would be stamped in the upper part of the table; just two points after the current La Liga champions. They've beaten all the odds. In some years to come they should slowly return to the old path of glory with some very young and prominent prospects.

5 (3) Sevilla CF 9-5-3; 2CD
Comment: Draw against Mallorca, draw against Osasuna; two points from at least on the paper easier encounters. They took 7 point away from teams like Valencia, Real Madrid and Villareal. And when the Spanish public expected them to follow Barca with their run, they all of sudden condemned all those expectations false.

6 (7) Real Madrid 10-2-5; 2CW
Comment: Los Merengues are slowl gaining on their pace under the new command. Two hard-won victories against Valencia and Villareal increased their hopes to at least prove a decent rival against brilliant Barca. The schedule doesn't provide them with possibility to slacken off as they visit unpleasant Mallorca.

7 (6) Valladolid 7-2-8; 2CL
Comment: La Liga has show its cruel face. If you aren't stable you cannot compete. This reality has been demonstrated to this young team in two recent encounters. They play well from most of the match and when the decisive moment arrives they all of a sudden collapse. Pity, cause they could be sitting a lot higher on the table.

8 (8) Villareal 8-5-4; 3CL
Comment:They came very close against Barca, then against Madrid. Realization is their main concern. Midfielders seem to have found form only strikers continue it's scoring drought. When Nihat returns in his best shape I expect them to improve.

9 (10) Malaga 7-4-6; 1W
Comment: They've just shouted very clear message to all the league. We are no underdogs and anyone trying to intimidate us will have to prove this on the pitch.

10 (9) Getafe 5-6-6; 2CL
Comment: Another loss, fans restless; however no change has emerged that would fill everyone concerned with slight hope.

11 (11) Athletic Bilbao 5-4-8; 3CW
Can they keep their level of playing? With their fanatical fans behind them Athletic can shock all the Spain. They were prognosticated as the team that would struggle in the relegation zone; look at them now, this brave team... fighting for the spot in Europe.

12 (12) Sporting Gijon 7-0-10; 1L
You cannot expect them to keep winning, right? However, their composure and determination has not declined for a minimum. I still count them as the team with best fighting spirit in the league. I really enjoy to see these players running on the pitch with their maximum, giving all they've got.

13 (14) Racing Santander 5-6-6; 1W
At some point I expect them to make a run which will place them where they belong.

14 (13) Real Betis 5-3-9; 3CL
Fans are frustrated, but they keep coming to the stadium. Betis has every support from their devotees but cannot capitalize on it. Nothing seems to be working in their favor, they are not playing well and frustrations could be protracted once they face stronger teams. I see them as the team that will easily get into danger zone if they don't start performing on the higher level.

15 (16) Almeria 5-4-8; 1W
Almeria faced mediocre Real Betis and won three points. With players like Negredo and Solari they should be fighting for the place in any of the European competitions.

16 (19) Recreativo de Huelva 4-4-9; 1W
Another success for Recreativo. Three wins in last four matches. Even though they don't have any stars in their team, it is evident that unity proves to be the best remedy.

17 (15) Numancia 5-2-10; 1L
A bitter loss against Recreativo. They didn't stand a chance but are still away from the danger zone. It is imperative for them to keep up their motivation; they are the only team that has beaten Barca so far. They should go on with this idea, they can beat any team in La Liga.

18 (17) Espanyol 3-5-9; 1D
Another disappointment for the Catalans. Although they face quite a strong opponent and formidable crowd, this is still a let-down for their fans. Some drastic changes will have to be taken into action. They cannot afford losing more points.

19 (20) Osasuna 2-7-8; 1D
A great boost for moral was a draw against Sevilla. Camacho's squad has been playing well recently and grabbed some crucial points. It is indispensable for them to keep collecting points to step into the second half of the season closer to the surviving zone.

20 (18) Mallorca 3-5-9; 1L
No one really expected from them to take any points away from Camp Nou. They tried their best and proved to quite a resilient opponent. With such approach I'm pretty sure they will dig themselves out from this crisis.

M.L. King

M.L. King

The Preacher
Week 18

1(1) FC Barcelona 15-2-1; 6CW
Comment: Every time I write this column I ask myself is this deja vu!? Another win for the Blaugrana. It wasn't as easy as some were this season, but it sure was far more jubilant. It seemed like Barca was going to drop some points. When Messi showed his magic every doubt disillusioned in the thin air of Pamplona.

2 (6) Real Madrid 11-2-5; 3CW
Comment: The giants from Madrid are slowly gaining on their pace with their new commander Juande. They seem far more motivated and have already surpassed all the teams in the haunt for FC Barcelona. Some praise worthy battles have been waged on their account and new hope is arising for them above the misty shadow that has been dwelling upon their fortune.

3 (3) Valencia CF 10-4-4; 1D
Comment: Bitter disappointment has been synonym with Valencia in recent years. After beating Atletico Madrid everyone expected this team to bloom and produce the long-expected march towards the peak of the table. However, things didn't go exactly Valencia's way. After holding a comfortable lead against Villareal, they suddenly stumbled and only drew. Can this team become more constant is what torments my mind.

4 (2) Atletico Madrid 9-3-6; 2CL
Comment: The quick remedy I was discussing about was lost somewhere... and Atletico proved powerless in yet another crucial session. Fans must be feeling pretty irritated with the way their idols are performing at the moment. One has to ask oneself; those hard-won points, were they only proving this proverb right "one swallow doesn't make a summer"?

5 (5) Sevilla CF 10-5-3; 1W
Comment: My presumptions have been proved as correct... Sevilla can apparently win against teams that are at least on paper favorites or equal to them. Against Deportivo they demonstrated why they are contenders for one of the top spots. But can they continue in a similar fashion and climb higher on the ladder of La Liga is what bother most of their fans. I think they can with correct approach.

6 (4) Deportivo La Coruna 9-3-6; 1L
Comment: The biggest surprise so far awaits an incredible hard game against the current leaders. All the odds are pointing against them, but you surprises always happen. They have beaten some very good teams season and have portrayed resilience that few team have this season. They are realistic and know it will be hard to maintain such form, but with hard work nothing is impossible.

7 (9) Malaga 8-4-6; 2CW
Comment: Another pleasant issue I will discuss is this team. Malga is in the higher part of the table. How many fans have expected them to fight for one of the spots in any of the European competitions. None. It's as simple as that. They were the underdogs. Now they are a well respected unity that can play brilliantly.

8 (8) Villareal 8-6-4; 1D
Comment: The red submarine is losing on its pace and is losing their credentials. Pellegrini will have to find out what is wrong his team and mend all the mishaps.

9 (7) Valladolid 7-2-9; 3CL
Comment: All the Spanish public is a bit disappointed with Valladolid in recent weeks. After the brilliant run they have managed month ago, they went through some very hard times. Their road has been surrounded with thorns, but I'm pretty sure they can find a way out of it and start winning again.

10 (11) Athletic Bilbao 6-4-8; 4CW
Comment: Bilbao is having their own spring. They are winning and seem to be rising with each fixture. Nothing is over-hyped when we add adjectives like, brilliance, ingeniousness, illustrious to this team.

11 (10) Getafe 5-6-7; 3CL
Comment: Getafe has lost again. This time against a team from the lower part of the table. Not a great season so far for the team from the center of Spain

12 (12) Sporting Gijon 8-0-10; 1W
Comment: Promoted teams seem to be flying with ease over some very experience veterans in La Liga and Sporting Gijon is one of them. Superb season so far, but can they maintain the pace?

13 (13) Racing Santander 5-7-6; 1D
Comment: Win. Draw. This is what this team is capable of. Not Win. Win. By not being constant they have to be satisfied with the position they hold currentyl

14 (17) Numancia 6-2-10; 1W
Comment: They managed to win and once again cheer up their fans. Their determination is still very stout and will grow with each success.

15 (15) Almeria 5-5-8; 1D
Comment:Some shiny shimmers have sparkled during some games. With a little measure of optimism points will come. However, motivation is needed as well

16 (16) Recreativo de Huelva 4-5-9; 1D
Comment:Another draw, what could easily be a win. Experience is what this team lacks. Hopefully, they bring some new a little bit older players to toughen their core.

17 (14) Real Betis 5-3-10; 4CL
Comment: 4 consecutive losses is what this team has on their account. Fans are furious with the way team is performing. Nothing seems to be going their way, they are dangerously approaching the relegation zone. Something needs to be done, immediately.

18 (18) Espanyol 3-6-9; 2CD
Comment: Yet another disappointment for Espanyol. There seems to be no light for them at the end of this long, it seems perpetual, tunnel. How low can they fall?

19 (19) Osasuna 2-7-9; 1L
Comment: Almost a win against FC Barcelona. They proved a very good team and posed great danger to Catalan pride. With some more experience in their team they might have taken all the three points from the game. Nonetheless, still a great boost for their moral if the continue in the same way.

20 (20) Mallorca 3-5-10; 2CL
Comment: Disastrous performance against the current champions. It will be a very tough climb for them to reach any of the spots that would eventually make them safe from the danger zone.

M.L. King

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanx, Real Madrid gained some ground since Ramos took over. I guess in the end it`s good for La Liga. We are the best, thats obvious, but I`m happy when we have someone to challenge us.

M.L. King

The Preacher
Weeks 19 & 20

1 (1)(1) FC Barcelona 17-2-1; 8CW
Comment: Nothing new in La Liga... Barca is calmly pulverising any opponents they meet on their path to La Liga trophy. Everything seems to be in order and the Barca machine works as if greased with the best oil. Their winning streak stretches back back into November of previous year. How long can they keep this tempo up?

2 (2) (2) Real Madrid 13-2-5; 5CW
Comment:A lot has been written about Real Madrid's wins; fans seem to enjoy wins, but are far less satisfied with the way their team performs. Yes, this team has been very luck in recent weeks, winning either by a very small margin or with help of the referees. I detest to to mention the latter one, but no one tries to disavow it. Even "Marca" has written a lot about certain personae who took part in Madrid's winning.

3 (3) (5)Sevilla CF 11-5-4; 1L
Comment: Constant vigilance is the indispensable part of success. Sevilla clearly misses this particle to complete the jigsaw. The team consists of a group built from very good players, they have highly qualified coach but their mindset undermines all theses factors. Del Nido will want to have a word with his proteges if he wants to protract his dream of qualifying to the Champion League.

4 (5) (4)Atletico Madrid 9-5-6; 2CD
Comment: Atletico has found the form, but with the players of their caliber they need to improve the scoring rate. Actually, it looks quite bad, not just bad it is shameful for such a team to have so many problems finding the net. Aguero and Forlan are considered by many, to be a lethal pair. Both have been quite lethargic in recent weeks; the team as a whole has resembled a group of nonchalant kids playing football in the back yard of the kindergarten. With such an approach they cannot aspire to reach the goals they have built at the start of the season.

5 (4) (3) Valencia CF 10-4-6; 2CL
Comment: Cold streak, freezing streak. Two consecutive losses for Valencia. Against the team that has already been written off. Fans are whistling, ranting... Does this ring a bell? Oh yes it does, Koeman has gone through the same festival of whistling and booing. Will Emery make a stop to this and finally give this frustrated fans what they truly deserve. La Liga without competitive Valencia is not the same.

6 (6) (7) Malaga 10-4-6; 1D
Comment: M-A-L-A-G-A; the fairytale is to be continued promised the board of officials. This team hasn't glittered in its fullest lustre yet. But who expected them to be so high on the table after the first half of the season. Not me, not you, not anyone... With every part of my body and will I hope they continue their success and qualify to one of the European competition. They sure have all the predisposition to do so.

7 (7) (6) Deportivo La Coruna 9-3-8; 3CL
Comment: Catastrophic loss against the mighty Blaugrana; and an unlucky defeat against mediocre Real Madrid. With a bit of luck on their side they could have won three points from this two clashes. Injury woes are their main problem at the moment; and with Guardado at his full strength the team should once again compete for the highest spots.

8 (8) (8) Villareal 9-7-4; 1D
Comment: Nothing goes their way; winning seems like utopia for them. Pellegrini must be worried as the team cannot return to their winning path. The yellow submarine has a failure and cannot maintain at the full speed. As the Beatles used to sing "Full speed over here, sir!"; when they reach that full speed I'm sure the results will come as well. However, some talk has to be done in the dressing room as well. Rumors have surfaced that some disquietude creeped into the team. Such things are always dangerous for any team because it decomposes the core of its success. The coach will have to sow peace in the team in order to reap the final reward.

9 (9) (10) Athletico Bilbao 7-4-9; 1L
Comment: After their long winning streak, every team tastes the bitter flavour of losing. Athletico has fought very bravely against strong Almeria, but unfortunately came short at the end. However, fans seem to be enjoying every minute their team spend on the field and offer their utter support. Either losing or winning, as long as the team gives their maximum they seem to be unblemished opponents.

10 (12) (13) Racing Santander 7-7-6; 2CW
Comment: Starting their tough stretch of games with a win in Andalusia, they have every right to hope they can pinch a point from the Blaugrana. Great form in recent weeks has been steeping and has finally reached climax, but will they be overthrown from it or can they maintain their stature of a sleeping giant waiting to be roused to demonstrate its full strength.

11 (11) (11) Getafe 6-6-8; 1W
Comment: Finally a win, and what a win. A whooping win. Crushing very solid Sporting was never going to be a walk in the park. They haven't played badly through all the season, but lacked some luck. Fortune finally found its way to the dungeouns of their fortress and equipped them with means that resulted in a very important win.

12 (10) (9) Valladolid 7-3-10; 1D
Comment: Valladolid was considered as one of the very nice surprises, but soon after their first goalkeeper got injured everything has gone wrong. They have lost all the momentum and if they fail to find it again soon, I really cannot see them avoiding the relegation zone.

13 (16) (16) Recreativo de Huelva 6-5-9; 2CW
Comment: He who dares wins, as the good old Del Boy used to say to his younger brother Rodney. And Recreativo sure dares; they ventured on the perilous road when deciding to change their system a bit. From defensive minded first half of the season, they seem to enjoy the attacking mindset that has win them some crucial points. Every player seem to be reborn and very motivated to climb the ladder.

14 (13) (12) Sporting Gijon 8-0-12; 2CL
Comment: Bitter loss against Getafe, but still Sporting dwells on a very solid spot which allows them to dream about staying with the elite. Let's give this lads a chance to prove how good they are.

15 (14) (15) Almeria 6-6-8; 1W
Comment: Playing good apparently isn't always enough, and who should know this better as Almeria. Something else will have to be done for this team to prosper once again. Yes they can and will do it.

16 (15) (14) Numancia 6-2-12; 2CL
Comment: Putting up a good fight against Barca gave them new hope to make life miserable another giant, Real Madrid. Their home fortress has proved to be a very resilient place to the outsiders.

17 (18) (19) Osasuna 2-8-10; 1D
Comment: Brave performance against Villareal gave them a much needed point. Losing unfairly against Madrid has surely sponged some of their newly-born confidence. I do believe this unity has a good chance to scale up and run away from the danger zone.

18 (20) (20) Mallorca 4-5-11; 1W
Comment: Superb display of courage against Valencia gives Mallorca a chance to take advantage of atmosphere and win some very important points even against the favorites.

19 (17) (17) Real Betis 6-3-11; 1L
Comment: Losing such a name from La Liga would be a real shame and unless they start winning immediately they can say bye-bye to La Liga and try their luck in the lower league.

20 (19) (18) Espanyol 3-7-10; 1D
Comment: Long long crises. Espanyol is dangerously creeping towards the chasm of despair. Who will be their saviour? They need to find a player who will give them hope.

M.L. King

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Valencia really looks disappointing atm. I was hoping they`ll be taking the 2nd spot but Real is clinching victory after victory.
Thanx for the update!

nebeer

Love is All
Great job dude, nice thread! It is really helpful to get a bigger picture of the league. :party00231:

Home of Barca Fans