Camp Nou

KingLeo10

Less than 400 showed up today.

Pretty pathetic to be honest.

I honestly think we have one of the worst fanbases both locally and internationally.

It's mostly gloryhunters. Similar to United, though their local fanbase is far better.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
It's mostly gloryhunters. Similar to United, though their local fanbase is far better.

One of the biggest issues locally is that fans can decide to simply not show up when they have season tickets when there's literally tens of thousands on the waiting list for one. It's pretty pathetic, and it's been like that forever.

They need to enforce a rule that you have to attend a certain % of games or else you lose your season ticket and go at the back of the line for one. I believe they have a similar system in Germany.

And now you have 4k available to attend to make decisions important for the club's future and like 390 people turn up :facepalm:

Internationally you obv have glory hunters as you said and a lot of delusion in general, especially when it comes to La Masia.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Around 30k or so season ticket holders already cancelled their season tickets for this season due to a variety of reasons, apathy being one.

I can understand some or many foreign fans are glory hunters but I really don't understand why local socis and Barcelona fans can be this apathetic and pathetic. I don't get it really, especially when it comes to football. Yesterday at the Palau when our basketball team was playing against Zenit, it was almost a full house, there was loud cheering and drum beats from local basketball penyas.

Local Barcelona football fans should be ashamed of themselves.

Last edited:

jamrock

Barcelona & Madrid fans have always been kinda spoil, Spanish football fans in general, if the product on the field isn't up their standards they don't show up, got better things to do than watch a borfest I guess.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
So no retractable pitch, confirmed by Laporta, even though they want to spend 900m alone on renovating Camp Nou. :fool:

And Laporta walked back his previous comments on expanding Estadi Johan Cruyff to host the games while Camp Nou is being worked on, mulling possibilities of playing at the Olympic Stadium or staying at Camp Nou. Typical politician, flip flopping all the time.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Barcelona & Madrid fans have always been kinda spoil, Spanish football fans in general, if the product on the field isn't up their standards they don't show up, got better things to do than watch a borfest I guess.

I see much more passionate fans elsewhere in Spain, based on my own and albeit anecdotal experience. For example in Valencia and Seville, and even Madrid. Barcelona is indeed the worst in that regard.

DonAK

So no retractable pitch, confirmed by Laporta, even though they want to spend 900m alone on renovating Camp Nou. :fool:

And Laporta walked back his previous comments on expanding Estadi Johan Cruyff to host the games while Camp Nou is being worked on, mulling possibilities of playing at the Olympic Stadium or staying at Camp Nou. Typical politician, flip flopping all the time.

That's disappointing.

Would make it easier to hold NFL games for example.

As for expanding the Estadi then they asked the city council, but they said no as they're starting works on a subway line there.

Windhook

I think Joan Laporta during his first stint banned the violent Boixos Nois ultras from attending matches, which made the atmosphere more civilized and quiet. Part of the group still attend games as you can see on TV, north stand, second half of Barca's attacking. Since then Barca grew in reputation becoming a global brand and games attracted lots of people who were not familiar with the crowd culture of FC Barcelona - chants, anthems and so on. In other words tourism to see the city of Barcelona and its main attraction - Lionel Messi. I'm not surprised at all that attendance is low this season, the whole La Liga has weakened in quality compared to its dominance in the last 10 years. Also don't forget the COVID pandemic is still around and it won't go away soon.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
That's disappointing.

Would make it easier to hold NFL games for example.

As for expanding the Estadi then they asked the city council, but they said no as they're starting works on a subway line there.

Indeed. NFL is attracting huge money and is looking to expand into Europe in their second foray after the failed NFL Europe attempt, I guess they will be hosting games in London and Madrid etc., not here. Also it can be used for all other types of events, including non-sport ones. Laporta boasted utilizing the latest and most advanced technologies and they sent teams to study other venues around the world yet they don't want to do it. For 900m they should have done it.

Now that the delegates have approved both the new Espai Barca project and the partial sale of Barca Studios, I wonder how the socis will vote.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I think Joan Laporta during his first stint banned the violent Boixos Nois ultras from attending matches, which made the atmosphere more civilized and quiet. Part of the group still attend games as you can see on TV, north stand, second half of Barca's attacking. Since then Barca grew in reputation becoming a global brand and games attracted lots of people who were not familiar with the crowd culture of FC Barcelona - chants, anthems and so on. In other words tourism to see the city of Barcelona and its main attraction - Lionel Messi. I'm not surprised at all that attendance is low this season, the whole La Liga has weakened in quality compared to its dominance in the last 10 years. Also don't forget the COVID pandemic is still around and it won't go away soon.

This season certainly there is a lack of interest because of a lot of factors (COVID, weak economy/lack of disposable income, Messi gone, team not performing well etc.) but well before this last couple of years we had been pretty lackluster. A lot of tourists yes but the local fan groups and socis should have done more and be much louder than that they have been, at the very least. Don't know what it is about the Barcelonistas and the Catalans compared to the Spaniards and fans in other countries, too complacent or something?

Windhook

Don't know what it is about the Barcelonistas and the Catalans compared to the Spaniards and fans in other countries, too complacent or something?

I think it is to some extent political. While the Independencia movement was gaining steam, the referendum and the Spanish government crackdown afterwards... and all events surrounding this, the club stood neutral. And that I believe disappointed a lot of Catalans.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I think it is to some extent political. While the Independencia movement was gaining steam, the referendum and the Spanish government crackdown afterwards... and all events surrounding this, the club stood neutral. And that I believe disappointed a lot of Catalans.

Possibly. However, I read that recently the drive toward independence among the Catalans is seeing a decline, coincidental with our decline... Interesting.

DonAK

Indeed. NFL is attracting huge money and is looking to expand into Europe in their second foray after the failed NFL Europe attempt, I guess they will be hosting games in London and Madrid etc., not here. Also it can be used for all other types of events, including non-sport ones. Laporta boasted utilizing the latest and most advanced technologies and they sent teams to study other venues around the world yet they don't want to do it. For 900m they should have done it.

Now that the delegates have approved both the new Espai Barca project and the partial sale of Barca Studios, I wonder how the socis will vote.

They're actually going to Munich and another German City AFAIK.

So it is still possible without it as I believe Allianz Arena don't have one? It just makes it easier to maintain a great football pitch and not have it kinda wrecked after an NFL game.

fergus90

There aren't many reasons for fans to watch Barca at the moment but if you live locally there's no excuse. However I do feel it's a cultural thing as well, the Spanish don't seem nearly as tribal about their football clubs where as the English will go up and down the country to watch their team home and away. Which is probably why you can buy tickets for Barcelona games on the day and when it comes to Man United unless you're a season ticket holder or member it's nigh on impossible to get a ticket for a home game.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
There aren't many reasons for fans to watch Barca at the moment but if you live locally there's no excuse. However I do feel it's a cultural thing as well, the Spanish don't seem nearly as tribal about their football clubs where as the English will go up and down the country to watch their team home and away. Which is probably why you can buy tickets for Barcelona games on the day and when it comes to Man United unless you're a season ticket holder or member it's nigh on impossible to get a ticket for a home game.

From my personal experience of going to games in some other Spanish cities, the tickets were much harder to buy, several times I had to resort to buying from third party vendors; and from what I read about clubs like Rayo Vallecano etc., Spanish clubs do have fans traveling all around the country attending away games. This apathy could just be a Barca thing, which makes me very curious and perplexed. Granted that Camp Nou is the largest stadium in Europe and you can hardly fill it entirely unless if it is el Clasico of the Messi-Ronaldo era, but you can tell from the general atmosphere how tamed it is compared to other Spanish venues.

Home of Barca Fans