Camp Nou

Andrew M

Point remains they will get less as not giving up full naming rights.

Does it really make much of a difference, though? Barca fans and people who know football will still call it the Camp Nou either way. I can't see myself doing anything different. It's a different case to a completely newly built arena like the Allianz or the Emirates

As an example:

Coca Cola Camp Nou

Estadio Coca Cola

Is the Coke brand really diluted?

JamDav1982

Does it really make much of a difference, though? Barca fans and people who know football will still call it the Camp Nou either way. I can't see myself doing anything different. It's a different case to a completely newly built arena like the Allianz or the Emirates

As an example:

Coca Cola Camp Nou

Estadio Coca Cola

Is the Coke brand really diluted?

Obviously makes a difference when looking at figures quoted.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
If you scroll down you will see that Barca take in more annual sponsorship revenue than Utd and Real Madrid comfortably. Ours is set to grow even more with our Beko training kit deal as well as the Nike deal being in full swing from this season

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoz...most-valuable-soccer-teams-2018/#157059cb45c8

I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing. What that Forbes article seems to refer to the money we got from the two main shirt sponsors and NIKE only, while I was referring to is the total amount of money we received from ALL sponsors and partners down to the smallest, plus merchandising. I remember we only had like clos to 40 sponsors and partners a couple of years ago while Manchester United had 68 at the time and I was like, wow.

Of course we might have gotten a big bump this season with the new NIKE deal kicking in and indeed making more than the rest. Let’s hope so. We will wait for the DML report to come out in January.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Nope. Not bias at all. Is it bias to say Premier League is the most popular league in the world? No. It's true. The same way it's true that Barcelona and Madrid are considerably more desired clubs to play for than Manchester United.

British players probably prefer MANU and the English clubs. German players prefer Bayern. Where we and Real Madrid are really strong, as you pointed out, is Spain, Portugal and South America.

Over the last several years I can think of a few examples of players subbing us or Real Madrid to join other clubs: Gabriel Jesus, Davinson Sanchez, Mbappe and Naby Keita.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Gabriel Jesus -> Pep
Davidson Sanchez -> Playing time, Spurs has an ex-Ajax contingent
Mbappe -> From Paris, $$$
Keita -> Klopp

The players you listed moved to the clubs for reasons other than the prestige of the club alone.

FC433

Our Nike deal is 10 years long. 5 and another optional 5 years. I wanted us to get Adidas instead so bad.

Andrew M

I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing. What that Forbes article seems to refer to the money we got from the two main shirt sponsors and NIKE only, while I was referring to is the total amount of money we received from ALL sponsors and partners down to the smallest, plus merchandising. I remember we only had like clos to 40 sponsors and partners a couple of years ago while Manchester United had 68 at the time and I was like, wow.

Of course we might have gotten a big bump this season with the new NIKE deal kicking in and indeed making more than the rest. Let’s hope so. We will wait for the DML report to come out in January.

We still get the most from our shirt, though.

As a side note, I wonder if the amount we get from the naming rights will go towards our annual revenue

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Gabriel Jesus -> Pep
Davidson Sanchez -> Playing time, Spurs has an ex-Ajax contingent
Mbappe -> From Paris, $$$
Keita -> Klopp

The players you listed moved to the clubs for reasons other than the prestige of the club alone.

Sure, players go to other clubs for a variety of reasons. But the fact of the matter is, they did not come to us or Real Madrid. We might argue if everything else was equal they would have come. But no, there is no such thing as everything else being equal so at the end of day, players select clubs not just base on prestige but other factors too. Hence my point I am not sure if what Serghei said about us and Real being more attractive to players is true, simply because I don't know how you can measure that.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
We still get the most from our shirt, though.

As a side note, I wonder if the amount we get from the naming rights will go towards our annual revenue

Good question, if it does it would have to come under the "Commercial" portion with the total amount breaking down to an annual amount, if I have to guess.

Andrew M

Sure, players go to other clubs for a variety of reasons. But the fact of the matter is, they did not come to us or Real Madrid. We might argue if everything else was equal they would have come. But no, there is no such thing as everything else being equal so at the end of day, players select clubs not just base on prestige but other factors too. Hence my point I am not sure if what Serghei said about us and Real being more attractive to players is true, simply because I don't know how you can measure that.

I don't think we can generalise on whether players prefer certain clubs. Ronaldo happened to be desperate to go Real Madrid, but that was him. Many other great players wouldn't have been so desperate in his position at a great club like Utd.

At Barca we do have a tradition of having great Brazilian players, though

Home of Barca Fans