Iker Casillas

serghei

Was Perez the manager of the Spanish national team last summer too ? again Slovakia in the qualifiers last winter ? have you seen Atletico-Real 4-0 defeat ?
I love Iker but exaggeration of his mistakes last season isn't a fact.. i always said he is much better than Diego & Jose screwed up but seriously only someone who didn't watch Real Madrid last season would say Iker mistakes are exaggerated ... the defense was not in a mess when you let in so many shots from the outside of the box.. or you come up empty handed in any cross & ends up in your goal... still a magnificent club legend but he is not in the level for Real Madrid or any similar club status

Yea, I've seen both Sociedad - Madrid 4-2 and Atletico - Madrid 4-0. Awful defending in both cases. Leaving a keeper exposed, by a defence that was abysmal in many games last season. A keeper doesn't always save your ass when you defend like shit. Sometimes shit defending leads to goals conceded (see Barca - Bayern 3-0). His only mistake in those games was the 1st goal he conceded from Thiago, on Calderon, and even that was a difficult save to make (Valdes also received a similar goal from Matuidi against PSG, in that 2-2 from 2013).

And stop signaling out Casillas in games were the team as a whole was embarassing. Like you (not you, but your fans) did when you lost the classico (horrible 2nd half for RM), even though Ramos (and Pepe for the 2nd) was responsible for both goals you received. Instead of blaming Ramos for losing Mathieu in first goal and leaving Suarez in a 1 on 1 with Casillas, your fans made stupid jokes about Casillas because he was tricked by probably the best striker in the world, whose finish was absolutely superb in that play.

Last edited:

Beast

The Observer
Iker of old had much much worse defense than this man... from the Carlos-Salagado-Pavon- Helguera to the disaster Walter Samuel-Woodgate.. to Ramos usual red cards hay days ..days when Gravesen was a DM and Gago was a DM ... and as i said he had only Ramos in front of him in the WC and Pique-Alba - Juanfran etc and Xabi-Xavi etc with Spain in the WC and he still made so many mistakes...

It wasn't just the Thiago goal it's most goals he conceded was within his reach couple of years ago... he is 34 time is not on his side... i'll refer you to the brilliant Graham Hunter article which explains what i was saying a day ago why Iker won't be like Buffon & i quote from it
----------

"The 34-year-old is a "particular" player. For whatever reason, nature rather than nurture, he's someone who carries attitudes that are now almost from another era. Those who benefit from his skills accept that Iker does things his way. He'll choose to wrap himself in a bubble and get lost in his own thoughts sometimes -- he'll vest all his trust in his reactions and his instincts rather than modern, advanced training techniques.

It has meant that when things turn against him at a time when age needs to be fought just as hard as opponents and enemies do, Casillas has found that he has less to fall back on. The player who embraces modern thinking, modern techniques, who adapts and who realises that "things won't always be the way they are right now" is the one who'll weather stormy moments best. But as Paul Anka wrote and Francis Albert Sinatra sang, Casillas did it "his way."

----------
Hope that explains why Iker was not going to last on top as much as Buffon , Dino Zoff and other greats

serghei

Iker of old had much much worse defense than this man... from the Carlos-Salagado-Pavon- Helguera to the disaster Walter Samuel-Woodgate.. to Ramos usual red cards hay days ..days when Gravesen was a DM and Gago was a DM ... and as i said he had only Ramos in front of him in the WC and Pique-Alba - Juanfran etc and Xabi-Xavi etc with Spain in the WC and he still made so many mistakes...

It wasn't just the Thiago goal it's most goals he conceded was within his reach couple of years ago... he is 34 time is not on his side... i'll refer you to the brilliant Graham Hunter article which explains what i was saying a day ago why Iker won't be like Buffon & i quote from it
----------

"The 34-year-old is a "particular" player. For whatever reason, nature rather than nurture, he's someone who carries attitudes that are now almost from another era. Those who benefit from his skills accept that Iker does things his way. He'll choose to wrap himself in a bubble and get lost in his own thoughts sometimes -- he'll vest all his trust in his reactions and his instincts rather than modern, advanced training techniques.

It has meant that when things turn against him at a time when age needs to be fought just as hard as opponents and enemies do, Casillas has found that he has less to fall back on. The player who embraces modern thinking, modern techniques, who adapts and who realises that "things won't always be the way they are right now" is the one who'll weather stormy moments best. But as Paul Anka wrote and Francis Albert Sinatra sang, Casillas did it "his way."

----------
Hope that explains why Iker was not going to last on top as much as Buffon , Dino Zoff and other greats

I already recognised that Iker is different from Buffon, no need to insist on that. As for Real Madrid's defencee, it's the thing you should improve first and foremost. You think another keeper will bring you success, simply by replacing Casillas? I highly doubt it. You put this Casillas in our team, the Barcelona of last season, and he's the Zamora winner.

The World Cup was a failure for Spain as a team, not for Casillas as an individual. More of a systemic failure, than just a couple of players being bad. All of them were awful because the football they played was tiresome, so I don't see why you bring it forward in the discussion about Iker. And Iker is clearly not the same player he was, I never said he is as good as ever. He declined from probably the best keeper in the world to still a very good keeper that ocassionaly (true, more rare than in his great days) has moments of brillance coupled with some mistakes. The problem is some portray him as a liability in this Real team. Not the case IMO.

Last edited:

Beast

The Observer
You think a defense of Ramos - Pepe & Varane is bad ? or average ?? or just good ?

Iker had in front of him the best defense since Hierro left..

Beast

The Observer
Anyhow the Bernabeu doors are now opened to the fans... hope some will make it the problem is it's a working day not a weekend

serghei

You think a defense of Ramos - Pepe & Varane is bad ? or average ?? or just good ?

Iker had in front of him the best defense since Hierro left..

It was pretty bad last season (in the most important part of it at least). Marcelo is weak defensively, Carvajal is way overrated and plain stupid at times, Ramos had a weak season, Pepe as well (both struggled with injuries, so they have some excuses). Varane started to play great more towards the end of the season, when he started to play in front of Pepe, and even he had occasional blunders.

Compared with Barcelona's defence, or Juventus' defence, or even Atletico's defence? Pretty weak. Actually, you had a worse defence than Valencia.

Last edited:

Beast

The Observer
Carvajal way overrated !! lol .. he is the best Spanish RB .. Pepe had a great season.. Ramos not so much than again he missed a lots of games to injury ..Varane is Varane..

Anyhow the press conference is bringing the end to the rubbish posts in here ..

Perez
"I wanted Iker to be here because there have been some false reports that is nothing to do with the truth"
"Iker leaves as one of the most important references of the club"
"Iker is leaving us because he wanted to. Nobody at Real Madrid wanted him to leave. We agreed to consider Porto offer"
He suffered a lot of pressure and that's why he wanted to end his career here and move on"
"In the future fans will recognise the importance of Casillas for years to come"
"Some of the fans have not behaved correctly to some of our players. I hope this doesn't happen in the future"
"I would have liked for him to retire at Real Madrid and I have told him that before"
"Iker is leaving but his legend will continue. Iker will always be part of Madrid. All the love for you and your family"

Casillas

Thank you president for being here...it's the first day I'm here as a Porto player"
"I'm another Madridista now. Whenever I can I will come and watch Real Madrid and be an ambassador for the club"

Now the press questions

Beast

The Observer
Pérez asked about criticism: "I'm used to that after many years.
Pérez asked about change from yest: "Nothing. Everything just took longer than we thought. I'd have liked players to be here"
Pérez: "I have a lot of affection for Iker, contrary to what some people report. I was always going to do this"
Pérez confirms Madrid trying to sort a match with Porto for Bernabeu Trophy this summer. Rapid return for Iker (probably his team & fans big farewell )
he mentioned August 12 as a possible date but said generally clubs are trying to sort it as soon as possible.

Beast

The Observer
Compared with Barcelona's defence, or Juventus' defence, or even Atletico's defence? Pretty weak. Actually, you had a worse defence than Valencia.

Barcelona had Bravo who had a great season & Mascherano... but worse than Juve defense ? and Atletico defense this year ? ... send me some of what you're smoking

It seems you are a stats troll which makes the debate purely about numbers and mute.. there is this small issues that the numbers don't mention Modric missing through injury and players tired and the difference between a team who go to defend and content with 1-0 victories ala Atletico and a team that goes all gun blazing as Real do...stats never tell the whole story but if conceding say 29 goals like Atletico but scoring 67 goals while you compare them to Real Madrid who scored 117 (almost the double ) while conceding just 9 goals more at 38 makes Real having a bad defense than i've wasted my time talking to you

Beast

The Observer
Back to the presser

Pérez: "Iker has a right to think about a future outside the club after all these years, like Raul. Nobody will go out of the back door"
Pérez: "Those who haven't behaved well with Iker Casillas are those who will miss him most in the future"
"The style of Real Madrid is to respect everybody. I don't want to think there will be a similar case [to Casillas whistles]"
"Iker is leaving, we'll see who'll come in..De Gea is a magnificent goalkeeper but he belongs to another club"

serghei

Barcelona had Bravo who had a great season & Mascherano... but worse than Juve defense ? and Atletico defense this year ? ... send me some of what you're smoking

It seems you are a stats troll which makes the debate purely about numbers and mute..

There it is, you finally found the answer. Discussion over from me. Real's defence was fucking amazing, so amazing that they received 4 goals at home from a team like Schalke, 4 goals from Atletico, 4 from Sociedad, 2 from Sevilla, 2 from Valencia in each game, 2 from Atletico in each game from Copa del Rey and so on. Amazing defense. You received twice (almost) as many goals than us in the league and that was because Bravo (who wasn't even that highly rated before the season started) is much much better than Casillas, not because Pique and Mascherano were along with Otamendi the best defenders in the league, and because Alves had a best-RB-in-the-world level season. Yep, you hit the nail right in the head with that one.

Last edited:

serghei

So you decided to post a hard shot from a Schalke player, unmarked, from 7m, to prove Casillas is to blame? :lol: OK. Funny that you picked a game in which Real's defence was more hilarious than Looney Tunes.

Morten

There it is, you finally found the answer. Discussion over from me. Real's defence was fucking amazing, so amazing that they received 4 goals at home from a team like Schalke, 4 goals from Atletico, 4 from Sociedad, 2 from Sevilla, 2 from Valencia in each game, 2 from Atletico in each game from Copa del Rey and so on. Amazing defense. You received twice (almost) as many goals than us in the league and that was because Bravo (who wasn't even that highly rated before the season started) is much much better than Casillas, not because Pique and Mascherano were along with Otamendi the best defenders in the league, and because Alves had a best-RB-in-the-world level season. Yep, you hit the nail right in the head with that one.

Bravo much much better than Iker? Who knows, barca keepers rarely has to do anything so its hard to tell. Casillas had loads to do last season because our defence was terrible.

Beast

The Observer
hard shot ? 3 out of the 4 goals conceded were pure Iker fault.. anyone would tell you straight shots at keepers are the easiest he parry the ball into his goal like a novice keeper than the 2nd goal he let go to the striker for a rebound goal.... he was totally to blame for the first 3 goals...
vs Atletico in the 4-0 defeat .. the first shocking Tiago goal.. the cross that led to the 3rd goal within his reach if bloody moved away from the goal line

that's 2 games with 8 goals he is to blame for 5 out of 8.. for a top keeper that a hell of a lot

Home of Barca Fans