Xavi Hernandez

Messigician

Xavi speaks!

Xavi: "Criticism on Busquets? He knows he made a mistake, but he is a spectacular and unquestionable footballer, he is irreplaceable for our game, if the team is together, Busquets is the best midfielder in the world."

Bobo32

Xavi speaks!

Xavi: "Criticism on Busquets? He knows he made a mistake, but he is a spectacular and unquestionable footballer, he is irreplaceable for our game, if the team is together, Busquets is the best midfielder in the world."

Simple and unquestionable truth.
But maybe too simple and unquestionable, where is Xavis vision so far? I expected and will soon demand some questionable decisions from him, that hopefully turn out right rather than wrong, but I want something that shows that he is actually seeing something more.
Of course I think he handled Puig terribly, very terribly, but sort of from the same "expected" way as his other decisions. A bit weak and unimaginative so far. But he speaks with some conviction and like a leader, he has his advantages for sure.

Messigician

Simple and unquestionable truth.
But maybe too simple and unquestionable, where is Xavis vision so far? I expected and will soon demand some questionable decisions from him, that hopefully turn out right rather than wrong, but I want something that shows that he is actually seeing something more.
Of course I think he handled Puig terribly, very terribly, but sort of from the same "expected" way as his other decisions. A bit weak and unimaginative so far. But he speaks with some conviction and like a leader, he has his advantages for sure.

Agreed

Gnidrologist

I guess Busi could really be that envisioned best mid still BUT only with world class team all around him. Especially defense. Fast and physical enough. Currently with available cadre we have been looked sharper and more mobile as a team without him on the pitch.

Bobo32

I guess Busi could really be that envisioned best mid still BUT only with world class team all around him. Especially defense. Fast and physical enough. Currently with available cadre we have been looked sharper and more mobile as a team without him on the pitch.

He only missed one game this season, and in that game Puig played...
I think the mids in front of Busquets should have the potential to be perfect, most of the defence and at least Torres and Fati, too. I think it is up to Xavi, I will blame him as I have blamed previous managers if he doesn't make it work.

Jaguar

Flair Trait

It's still amazing seeing how good we were years ago. The amount of chances we created vs the worlds best teams was incredible. Nowadays we are lucky to create 2 clear chances vs the best teams. Will take a good while to become even half as good as what we were. Even half as good we would still be top team again. Laporta and especially Xavi has my trust :boss: :xavi:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Mes

It's still amazing seeing how good we were years ago. The amount of chances we created vs the worlds best teams was incredible. Nowadays we are lucky to create 2 clear chances vs the best teams. Will take a good while to become even half as good as what we were. Even half as good we would still be top team again. Laporta and especially Xavi has my trust :boss: :xavi:

This was a terrific team but have to say City was weaker than expected. Messi's first half was outstanding.

serghei

You guys need to relax a bit. We were playing like shit and on 10th place, and now we're pushing for 3rd place. Have some patience. What did you expect, grace and consistency? :lol:

The big aim was top 4 for this season. He's well on track. Has things to improve on, but I wouldn't read much into it. Lucho is benching fucking Rodri for Busquets, virtually all coaches we've had liked Busi, it is what it is :lol:.

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

You guys need to relax a bit. We were playing like shit and on 10th place, and now we're pushing for 3rd place. Have some patience. What did you expect, grace and consistency? :lol:

The big aim was top 4 for this season. He's well on track. Has things to improve on, but I wouldn't read much into it. Lucho is benching fucking Rodri for Busquets :lol:.

True and the best players haven't even played together for one match. I think we will look good before end of the season.

Bobo32

The big aim was top 4 for this season. He's well on track. Has things to improve on, but I wouldn't read much into it. Lucho is benching fucking Rodri for Busquets, virtually all coaches we've had liked Busi, it is what it is :lol:.

You need to relax a bit, too, because Barcelona are currently at 6th place.
I see a lot of small improvements but a lot of stuff that are not fixed or look like being fixed that should be fixed. I expected more than this.
Results wise, I think that Xavi lost against Betis and Boca as well as Bayern and Real, and drew against Benfica, Osasuna, Granada as well as Sevilla. His wins came against Espanyol, Villarreal, Elche, Mallorca and Linares, and all but one of them was by the smallest margin. Talk about injuries etc all you like, but the teams Barcelona beat are teams Barcelona SHOULD beat.
I don't think it has been spectacular so far with Xavi, it often is at the start with ANY new manager.

I am still very much in support of Xavi though, I wanted him to come for a long time and still believe in him, but I have to be honest about how it has looked so far.

serghei

Pfff, steady small improvements is the best you can hope for in current conditions.

I expected more too, not in the way of results, but in a more pleasing style to the eye. But I'm willing to accept that this season is a tough one and we just need to get over the line and secure CL for next season.

Last edited:

Bobo32

Pfff, steady small improvements is the best you can hope for in current conditions.

But your comparison between "pushing for 3rd" now and being placed at 10th before is not really fair.
Let's hope for more steady, small improvements, and that they keep the right players and buy the right ones this summer. Maybe Xavi can be great with the right players later.

If I count correctly Barcelona stand at 17 goals for and 16 goals against after 13 games under Xavi...

serghei

But your comparison between "pushing for 3rd" now and being placed at 10th before is not really fair.
Let's hope for more steady, small improvements, and that they keep the right players and buy the right ones this summer. Maybe Xavi can be great with the right players later.

If I count correctly Barcelona stand at 17 goals for and 16 goals against after 13 games under Xavi...

You actually need to define what great is. A good manager gets this team on 3rd place. Maybe 2nd at a push with everyone fit. That's it. Xavi won some points with luck, lost some points with some bad luck and late equalizers (vs Granada, Osasuna), overall, he's doing fine with picking up points (only one loss in the league so far), it's just that his football is not particularly entertaining so far (albeit very very early to say anything definitive), and too Valverde-like, with a slower tempo, a lot of caution and some exaggerated conservatism when leading.

Which oddly should make Xavi more likable to a good chunk of the fanbase here.

Last edited:

Bobo32

You actually need to define what great is. A very good manager gets this team on 3rd place. Maybe 2nd at a push with everyone fit. That's it.

I think top 3 should be expected with the material still, and without knowing just how much Koeman had lost the dressing room, I think that he too was headed for something like that, maybe 4th at worst.
Barcelona were actually 9th when he was sacked, and six points behind leaders Real Madrid (I don't know if Real had less games then). Barcelona are now 17 points behind Real Madrid with one game at hand.
I think Koeman is a very bad manager and that he was sacked much too late, but it is not a great turnaround and an immediate big effect under Xavi yet.

A very good manager could win the league and the Champions league with this team, obviously. Not expected, but I expect Xavi to do a lot better than what he has showed so far.

ajnotkeith

The squad currently when fit is more than good enough to get top4. That is minimum expectation especially given we just shelled out for Ferran for Xavi.

The atmosphere looks to be sorting out so now we need to deliver on the field.

Home of Barca Fans