Xavi Hernandez

Birdy

We haven't been setting the world on fire. And we're bipolar. We play well one half and bad the other. Don't get me wrong, i agree that the other two were worse, but i still find Koeman bad as he was with Benfica in 2006.

Was he playing the same football in Benfica in 2006?
From the little I remember it was very different and defensive as hell

Bobo32

Xavi is not getting sacked. He just won their league unbeaten and they play good football.

Yeah, still there is now proof that he isn't fit for Barcelona, as some user misread a twitter post...

Even in the case of him being sacked at another club, it wouldn't say so much about him succeeding at Barcelona. Rijkaard was sacked at Rotterdam.

Farripas

Was he playing the same football in Benfica in 2006?
From the little I remember it was very different and defensive as hell

Well, it was different because the players are different. But it was still bad. 12pts from the leader, 5th best defense. But it wasn't all that defensive. Maybe in the Champions League, but we did beat Liverpool (defending champs) and could have beaten Barcelona as well. Still, we played like shit.

But i stand by my point. We don't play all that great, although we do have some instances of brilliance. But they are few and far between, there's no consistency.

Farripas

Yeah, still there is now proof that he isn't fit for Barcelona, as some user misread a twitter post...

Even in the case of him being sacked at another club, it wouldn't say so much about him succeeding at Barcelona. Rijkaard was sacked at Rotterdam.

Exacly. Him getting sacked at another club, proves nothing.

Birdy

There are less players lacking Barca-DNA in todays squad compared to Ernies squad, but I want to say the same - open your eyes. The football is far from great under Koeman, it's mostly unimaginative and predictable build up, playing mostly on the outside, and then sometimes they arrive at good positions out of luck.

Dude, I am calmly recommending you to just check the relevant stats.
We have the best attack in the league (19 more goals than Atleti, and 22 more than Madrid), and if our attackers have not been so wasteful we would have been on track to score more than 100 this season.
Our defense still makes silly mistakes, which are not Koeman's fault since are mostly individual errors.
But even with these mistakes into account, we have annihilated all the rest in the xG tables, not only in attacking output, but in the xG for/against difference, which shows that Barca is by far this season the best team in LaLiga, and for reasons that are external to our way of playing and the work of the coach (like Ter Stegen blunders, or Pique/Lenglet's mistakes, or total wastefulness by our finishers) we have not been able to seal the League.

I don't know what exactly you want to see as way of playing, but Koemanball is the best version of football here since at least the Lucho days.
Against top opposition as well: I haven't seen a better display in the CL than the 1st half in Paris since our CL run in the treble year 2015

fergus90

No I agree, especially on that last sentence. Klopp relegated Mainz too and then couldn't get them promoted. Imagine Twitter's reaction in 2021 if Liverpool tried to appoint Klopp after that.

There is this ridiculous narrative that if you don't win the CL you somehow fail,and everything you accomplished that season doesn't mean anything.

fergus90

We have the best attack in the league (19 more goals than Atleti, and 22 more than Madrid), and if our attackers have not been so wasteful we would have been on track to score more than 100 this season.
Our defense still makes silly mistakes, which are not Koeman's fault since are mostly individual errors.
But even with these mistakes into account, we have annihilated all the rest in the xG tables, not only in attacking output, but in the xG for/against difference, which shows that Barca is by far this season the best team in LaLiga, and for reasons that are external to our way of playing and the work of the coach (like Ter Stegen blunders, or Pique/Lenglet's mistakes, or total wastefulness by our finishers) we have not been able to seal the League.

I don't know what exactly you want to see as way of playing, but Koemanball is the best version of football here since at least the Lucho days.
Against top opposition as well: I haven't seen a better display in the CL than the 1st half in Paris since our CL run in the treble year 2015

I think a lot of people like Koeman's football and I do too sometimes. I guess ultimately if you've followed Barca for a while, you've seen much better. PSG away leg was great, home leg and the CL game prior was atrocious.

Birdy

Well, it was different because the players are different. But it was still bad. 12pts from the leader, 5th best defense. But it wasn't all that defensive. Maybe in the Champions League, but we did beat Liverpool (defending champs) and could have beaten Barcelona as well. Still, we played like shit.

But i stand by my point. We don't play all that great, although we do have some instances of brilliance. But they are few and far between, there's no consistency.

But the thing is that people judge Koeman from what he did at Benfica, Everton, So'ton, and Valencia, and at the same time disregard what he is doing now and what their eyes tell them at the moment.

I think in all those previous works by Koeman, none of those featured a football that was possession oriented, concerned first and foremost to attack and not sit back. On the contrary, it was rather cautious and looked to exploit on the counter.

But Koeman now is with Schreuder as his assistant, and I think it's very clear how Schreuder's input is shaping the tactical plan of this team with huge emphasis on attack, high pressing and possession.
Koeman of course contributes other things, and it's not negative IMO to have such a balance of qualities in the technical department of the team.
Not everyone can be like Pep.

Koeman+Schreuder might be >>>> just Koeman

Just like Rijkaard succeeded with Ten Cate, but without him he could not succeed even at Galatasaray. And at the same time Ten Cate failed as a first coach.
Some people are only fit for some roles.

All in all, don't judge Koeman by his past. Judge him only by the present

Farripas

But the thing is that people judge Koeman from what he did at Benfica, Everton, So'ton, and Valencia, and at the same time disregard what he is doing now and what their eyes tell them at the moment.

I think in all those previous works by Koeman, none of those featured a football that was possession oriented, concerned first and foremost to attack and not sit back. On the contrary, it was rather cautious and looked to exploit on the counter.

But Koeman now is with Schreuder as his assistant, and I think it's very clear how Schreuder's input is shaping the tactical plan of this team with huge emphasis on attack, high pressing and possession.
Koeman of course contributes other things, and it's not negative IMO to have such a balance of qualities in the technical department of the team.
Not everyone can be like Pep.

Koeman+Schreuder might be >>>> just Koeman

Just like Rijkaard succeeded with Ten Cate, but without him he could succeed even at Galatasaray. And at the same time Ten Cate failed as a first coach.
Some people are only fit for some roles.

All in all, don't judge Koeman by his past. Judge him only by the present

I am judging by the present, as i've said that yes, we have flashes of brilliance, mas the other times we play badly.

And i disagree again with the defensive football at Benfica. We played attacking football, as we should. Title contenders every year and the team with the most titles in Portugal, championship wise. Of those teams, speaking only domestic championship wise, Benfica are far higher than the others, because they fight for the title every year.

But the football wasn't that great and i'm still not convinced with what he is doing at Barca.

Bobo32

I am calmly saying I don't think the football is great.
I don't think the stats you bring up are so relevant. Goals scored compared to other teams is mostly due to Messi, as every season. Goals conceded can be analysed, but another time. The number isn't great, but in any way is far from giving a good representation of how Barcelonas defence is working overall.

But Barcelona is the best team in Spain, and they have probably played the best football too, I agree. They are probably slightly better this year than they were the last couple of seasons, I'd agree too. Koeman is far from fulfilling the teams potential however, and the football is not very enjoyable to me.

I think Setien had a couple of great games, and I think Valverde was able to create "enjoyable" games in the same way as Koeman but in a better and more secure way (he created a sort of controlled chaos in which Messi could shine). I didn't find Barcelonas team effort so enjoyable in a long time though, and I don't think Koeman is improving much.

khaled_a_d

He's not getting sacked ffs.

Hmmm, the strongest sources is that they have taken back their offer
This is by Alkass channel, bein channel that is specified for Qatari league, it doesn't get more reliable than that.

Those denying it are Catalan media closer to Xavi, which isn't the best way to look at rumours about AlSadd decisions

serghei

Maybe they got tired to be used by Xavi to gain experience for the Barca job and want somebody more committed. Doubt they sacked Xavi because he's not good enough lol.

Bobo32

If there is talk about them not renewing Xavi's contract, the obvious explanation would be that Xavi has decided to leave.

Birdy

"If Xavi is sacked, it's that HE decided to leave not that his club sacked him."
"If they did actually sack him, it's not that he was bad, it has to be something else."

LOL :lol:
Reality denial at its best...

Whatever happens, some other explanation would be fashioned other than XAvi being at fault for something.

Vibes of the 'Messi fanboy' clique here but with XAvi as the idol

Home of Barca Fans