Xavi Hernández

Jadentheman

Xavi probably has next, but he is probably waiting for Messi & Pique to leave the team first so there is no room for bias or favoritism.

Bobo32

"If Xavi is sacked, it's that HE decided to leave not that his club sacked him."
"If they did actually sack him, it's not that he was bad, it has to be something else."

LOL :lol:
Reality denial at its best...

Whatever happens, some other explanation would be fashioned other than XAvi being at fault for something.

Vibes of the 'Messi fanboy' clique here but with XAvi as the idol

Do you know that contracts have end dates?
Do you know that everybody knows that Xavi will coach Barcelona sooner or later?
Do you know that Xavi is under contract until this summer?

Was he sacked?

It is very dishonest and ugly to use quotation marks when you are not quoting. Quote the post which message you want to reply to, instead.

Farripas

"If Xavi is sacked, it's that HE decided to leave not that his club sacked him."
"If they did actually sack him, it's not that he was bad, it has to be something else."

LOL :lol:
Reality denial at its best...

Whatever happens, some other explanation would be fashioned other than XAvi being at fault for something.

Vibes of the 'Messi fanboy' clique here but with XAvi as the idol

I get that you don't want Xavi and you like Koeman and the football the team is playing. But the guy (Xavi) was crowned champion with no defeats. You're making it sound that Xavi is a bad manager. Is it so inconceivable that someone finds Xavi a good manager and wants him to have an opportunity without being a fan boy or being in denial?

fergus90

I get that you don't want Xavi and you like Koeman and the football the team is playing. But the guy (Xavi) was crowned champion with no defeats. You're making it sound that Xavi is a bad manager. Is it so inconceivable that someone finds Xavi a good manager and wants him to have an opportunity without being a fan boy or being in denial?

So what if anyone is even a Xavi fanboy anyway. He's one of the biggest legends the club has ever had and was the metronome of the most successful era this club has ever had.

If there is a person to fanboy over as a Barcelona fan, it's Xavi Hernandez.

Farripas

So what if anyone is even a Xavi fanboy anyway. He's one of the biggest legends the club has ever had and was the metronome of the most successful era this club has ever had.

If there is a person to fanboy over as a Barcelona fan, it's Xavi Hernandez.

Absolutely, i agree. But the term "fanboy" is used (at least that's my interpretation) to say someone is delusioned about the talents of a player/manager.

Birdy

When I use the word 'fanboy' it always has a negative connotation for me.
It signifies someone who idolizes without real grounding on evidence, over-blowing the positives beyond proportion, and at the same time completely neglecting the negatives.

I love Xavi Hernandez the footballer. Look at my avatar.

Then, it's not inconceivable to think that Xavi is a good manager.
It's unjustifiable to
1) Think that Xavi would be a WC manager because he was a WC player. Logical Fallacy.
2) Think that Xavi is a good, potentially WC, manager because of whatever he did at Al-Saad, a team and a league that belong to different stratosphere than top European football. Error of comparing the incomparable
3) Think that Xavi would be a good fit for Barca, because he has/knows Barca-DNA. Hypothesis that has been empirically refuted by the many people that knew Barca-DNA, but could never succeed as 1st team coaches.

What makes it even worse is, on the top of the above 3 logically unjustifiable beliefs, to discredit Koeman's work this year.
So that this become a double bias (against Koeman despite the evidence, in favor of Xavi with no sufficient evidence) combined, that leads to the following
illogical and totally absurd claim:
"Xavi will play better football/get better results than Koeman, and solve all Barca's problems that have been lurking the last few years'

It's a basically religious claim that can't stand to the testing of reason.

PS: AS for me, I was never a fan of Koeman. Look at my posts here back in August when I was neutral as to his arrival. I basically preferred Pochetino.
But what I have seen all that time is evidence I cannot just disregard to project personal biases

Farripas

It signifies someone who idolizes without real grounding on evidence, over-blowing the positives beyond proportion, and at the same time completely neglecting the negatives.

It's unjustifiable to
1) Think that Xavi would be a WC manager because he was a WC player. Logical Fallacy.
2) Think that Xavi is a good, potentially WC, manager because of whatever he did at Al-Saad, a team and a league that belong to different stratosphere than top European football. Error of comparing the incomparable
3) Think that Xavi would be a good fit for Barca, because he has/knows Barca-DNA. Hypothesis that has been empirically refuted by the many people that knew Barca-DNA, but could never succeed as 1st team coaches.

What makes it even worse is, on the top of the above 3 logically unjustifiable beliefs, to discredit Koeman's work this year.
So that this become a double bias (against Koeman despite the evidence, in favor of Xavi with no sufficient evidence) combined, that leads to the following
"Xavi will play better football/get better results than Koeman, and solve all Barca's problems that have been lurking the last few years'

PS: AS for me, I was never a fan of Koeman. Look at my posts here back in August when I was neutral as to his arrival. I basically preferred Pochetino.
But what I have seen all that time is evidence I cannot just disregard to project personal biases

Well, i think Xavi can follow Pep, who only coached the B team before winning it all... I would like Xavi to try and do the same. To touch on your 3rd point, it is conceivable to believe he can be a manager like Pep. Pep proved it. And i say believe, not be certain. One thing is having hope, another is treat Xavi like a sure thing. I believe i can replicate what Pep did, but i'm not sure.

I never said Xavi is a certainty. But i'd like to give him the opportunity.

As for Koeman, i don't think we play all that well to be honest, not withstanding the flashes of brilliance i talked about in his topic (i believe)

Bobo32

It's unjustifiable to

Many are the strawmen in this post.

I think Xavi is set up to be a disaster, as (although it is not showing on this forum) most Barcelona fans will put very high, unrealistic, hopes on him.
He will without a doubt be tried on the position sooner or later. The signs that he will be great are:

Personality: He looks like a leader, speaks like a leader, is very self-assured and almost fanatic. Seems to be a hard worker, just like Pep, also very demanding and serious.
Knowledge: Obviously understands footballing patterns better than most. Also knows the club and the city and so on.
Style: I believe he will bring a style back which I think is the best for Barcelona.
Authority: Just like Zidane, this is something that Xavi will have automatically. This has been very much lacking.

There are probably a lot more things speaking for Xavi that could be brought up. For example, he looks to be succesful where he is now.
What you do is twist some of these points and make these positives into negatives - as nothing obviously can be proven beforehand - and call it logical fallacies.

These are greater logical fallacies:
1) Think that Xavi wouldn't be a WC manager because he was a WC player. Logical Fallacy.
2) Think that Xavi isn't a good, potentially WC, manager because of whatever he did at Al-Saad, a team and a league that belong to different stratosphere than top European football. Error of comparing the incomparable
3) Think that Xavi wouldn't be a good fit for Barca, because he has/knows Barca-DNA. Hypothesis that has been empirically refuted by the many people that knew Barca-DNA, but could never succeed as 1st team coaches.

And contrary to the ones you gave initially, these which I altered was actually sort of implied by you. I didn't see someone argue any of the three points you gave.
I wonder if you sat and argued the same when Rijkaard or Pep were appointed?

jairzinho

In the not too distant future, I will welcome back Xavi with open arms if he promises to avoid playing slow and sterile possession based football with weak one dimensional players.

vegitot

Dude, I am calmly recommending you to just check the relevant stats.
We have the best attack in the league (19 more goals than Atleti, and 22 more than Madrid), and if our attackers have not been so wasteful we would have been on track to score more than 100 this season.
Our defense still makes silly mistakes, which are not Koeman's fault since are mostly individual errors.
But even with these mistakes into account, we have annihilated all the rest in the xG tables, not only in attacking output, but in the xG for/against difference, which shows that Barca is by far this season the best team in LaLiga, and for reasons that are external to our way of playing and the work of the coach (like Ter Stegen blunders, or Pique/Lenglet's mistakes, or total wastefulness by our finishers) we have not been able to seal the League.

I don't know what exactly you want to see as way of playing, but Koemanball is the best version of football here since at least the Lucho days.
Against top opposition as well: I haven't seen a better display in the CL than the 1st half in Paris since our CL run in the treble year 2015

Now you mention xG and goal:

9 - Excluding penalties, Lionel Messi 🇦🇷 has scored 20 goals from an Expected Goals for (xG) total of 11 in LaLiga in 2021, the biggest positive difference (9) of any player in the top five European leagues since the start of the year. Unstopabble. https://t.co/8ZWfDc76Lo

Pretty much every season Messi always has high xG and xA. Barca with Messi always has potential to score 100 league goals if other players can convert their chance 100%. Plus Griezmann also contributes good number of goals and assists. So after all it is still pretty much Messi + his partner in attack like Griezmann (or Suarez last few seasons).

The defense is terrible and Koeman is also a part of it. Vs Granada for example. And the team usually plays badly this season vs big teams. The match vs PSG away is good but it is already over before the second leg. And Barca was destroyed completely.

Koeman has done well but Barca football now is not really great by any mean. And who know that if Barca will lose again at Camp Nou next match???

vegitot

Well, i think Xavi can follow Pep, who only coached the B team before winning it all... I would like Xavi to try and do the same. To touch on your 3rd point, it is conceivable to believe he can be a manager like Pep. Pep proved it. And i say believe, not be certain. One thing is having hope, another is treat Xavi like a sure thing. I believe i can replicate what Pep did, but i'm not sure.

I never said Xavi is a certainty. But i'd like to give him the opportunity.

As for Koeman, i don't think we play all that well to be honest, not withstanding the flashes of brilliance i talked about in his topic (i believe)

Xavi has potential but nobody like Pep. I don't think Xavi will ever change the way of football like Pep did as a coach (even though he did as a player).

Xavi will have it much harder than Pep if he becomes Barca coach. Lesser quality of players, higher expection/pressure....

Farripas

Xavi has potential but nobody like Pep. I don't think Xavi will ever change the way of football like Pep did as a coach (even though he did as a player).

Xavi will have it much harder than Pep if he becomes Barca coach. Lesser quality of players, higher expection/pressure....

That we can agree on. Yes, he will have massive expectations and everybody will want another Pep. But thinking he can't be any good just because he's coaching Al Saad.... Come on (not saying you said that)

KingLeo10

3) Think that Xavi wouldn't be a good fit for Barca, because he has/knows Barca-DNA. Hypothesis that has been empirically refuted by the many people that knew Barca-DNA, but could never succeed as 1st team coaches.

I'm fairly certain that line of evidence supports that hypothesis.

:mou:

Home of Barca Fans