Xavi Hernandez

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Informative interview. Thank you [MENTION=20286]El Flaco[/MENTION]

He seems to be following football more than I thought.

Was surprised when he said that under pep they didn't study opponents.

pepi

One of the best interviews ever given by a footballer. I really wish to see him as a coach of the B team next season.

khaled_a_d

One of the best truly football oriented interviews to read, and probably the first one that got me actual hope that Xavi can become a good coach although he look very stubborn and idealistic in ideas which is double edged sword

Cule Finn

One of the best truly football oriented interviews to read, and probably the first one that got me actual hope that Xavi can become a good coach although he look very stubborn and idealistic in ideas which is double edged sword
Great interview indeed! For me, a certain amount of idealism and stubbornness is a positive for a Barca manager. Xavi looks to have been in coaching mode already as a player, so it would be surprising if he didn't become a coach one day, hopefully at Barca.

jamrock

That interview blew my mind the man as a complete understanding of Barcelona football, if nothing else he would be a sporting director for us

When (think it's a matter of when, not if, and I can see it being right after Valverde) he coaches us, he's no doubt going to try to play Guardiola style tiki taka. Which absolutely would not work with our current midfield. We have Busquets and Coutinho, but he'd still need someone for the Xavi role. Maybe he can coach someone like Alena into it :lol:

Btw, does he have his coaching license yet?

I seriously think we should just bring him in as an interim to try to salvage the season if EV does the same old shit and we lose against Atletico. That'll be a clear indicator that nothing is ever going to change under him, and we'll most likely lose against Chelsea as well. Let Xavi stay on full-time if he does well. If not, let him coach the B team and try again in a few years.

Last edited:

clemente

Xavi would be too dominant next to EV, not gonna happen, hope Xavi just comes to Barca B next season and goes up from there.

M

MessiCam

Bartra played, but cried and begged a coach not to play.
He said that he is not ready for big games.

What is this?
A random comment about Xavi?

Xavi was a God under Rijkaard, we discussed that and this story 10s of times before you came to this forum.
So, yes, Xavi wanted to leave, but he was a key player in our team way before Pep.

Before Pep, he was like Coutinho or Eriksen today, one of top10 midfielders in the world.
After Pep, he turned into a no1.

But people often write things as if Xavi was some sort of Gomes or Paulinho before Pep.

He plays because even a Gomes with mental problems is better (for 2 coaches in a row) than some other players in our team.
That says more about a quality of our squad midfielders than about Gomes.

Anyway, I still had some hopes for him, but now it seems that his Barca's career is over.
You can't succeed here if you have some serious flaws.
And he has both questionable skills for our style and now he sadly has mental strength issues.
Sometimes I wonder if you’ve really watched Barça as long as you say you have.

Xavi was not a key player at the time at all. He was a bit player... I think it was late 90’s and he was still a kid himself but was struggling under van Gaal and a still under 30 Pep who was brilliant as ever. Xavi only started changing perceptions when Rijkaard signed Davids and when he was moved from DM to CM. The fans and the media were all over him even during that period under Rijkaard. They called him useless, a windscreen wiper and they said Davids made him look good. He had a lot of critics but didn’t resort to this sort of stuff that Gomes did.

Wouldn’t surprise me if this was planned by his management to push through a cheap transfer in the summer. I don’t think it’s coincidence that he bares all the day after Arthur’s option is announced.

Professional players just don’t do this sort of thing while at the club. You usually hear about this sort of thing after they’ve left or when there’s a breakdown between the player and the club.

But that might just be the conspiracy theorist in me. What do I know?

BBZ8800

Xavi was not a key player at the time at all. He was a bit player... I think it was late 90’s and he was still a kid himself but was struggling under van Gaal and a still under 30 Pep who was brilliant as ever. Xavi only started changing perceptions when Rijkaard signed Davids and when he was moved from DM to CM. The fans and the media were all over him even during that period under Rijkaard. They called him useless, a windscreen wiper and they said Davids made him look good. He had a lot of critics but didn’t resort to this sort of stuff that Gomes did.

Wouldn’t surprise me if this was planned by his management to push through a cheap transfer in the summer. I don’t think it’s coincidence that he bares all the day after Arthur’s option is announced.

Professional players just don’t do this sort of thing while at the club. You usually hear about this sort of thing after they’ve left or when there’s a breakdown between the player and the club.

I didn't read forums back then when Rijkaard was a coach and I have no idea WHO called Xavi useless, lol.

Xavi in 2004, he really looks useless (lol).
In this match, he is younger than Gomes and Rafinha. He is as old as Denis. And is only 1 year older than a current Samper, for example.

Under Rijkaard, in early years, our best players were Ronaldinho and Etoo, and our creators (besides Ronaldinho) were Xavi and Deco.
Other players with some key impact were Puyol as a CB and VanBronckhorst as a LB.

He was our 3rd best player, or in the worst case, 4th best player.

Personally, Xavi was my favorite player even in 2002'.

Again, there was a lot of posters in previous years with the same story as you, how Xavi was more or less an average guy before Pep.
I can't go through that one more time.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member

I wasnt that happy with Xavi either in that period. He had a surge period under Van Gaal but then he stagnated a bit. Under Rijkaard he also wasn't brilliant as we remember him. Truth be told had that big injury in 2005/2006.

Maybe I didn't appreciate him as I should back then as I did under Pep, hard to say now.

Home of Barca Fans