Xavi Hernández

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
Shouldnt have spent 140m on either of them. Neither should we have spent 160m on coutinho lol - this one still makes me laugh. People watch football without really watching football guys the most over rated player I've ever fucking seen.

Windhook

Should have splashed it on Mbappe who proved more in CL the season Monaco made the semis. Dembele didn't really have matches like that at the highest level in the Champions League, did he? He scored 6 goals in CL knockouts, that's like an impressive number.

Mbappe was a real beast at Monaco, something he doesn't demonstrate at PSG very often.

If we're ever going to sign a player for big money again that player need to:

1. Be signed for the actual position he is going to play in, if that position exists for us

2. Be dominant in the league and CL for more than one season

True. The club went for players who were just impressive that year, without taking into consideration how would they fit our style. The next Iniesta and Neymar we were after basically.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

Mbappe was a real beast at Monaco, something he doesn't demonstrate at PSG very often.

Not to take anything away from Mbappe, but I always feel like the best chance to win a major trophy is in one's breakout season. When there isn't a blueprint out on how to slow you down.

Mbappe didn't command double teams and such back in his Monaco days. It's also why I feel Messi's best chance of the WC was in 2006 (even more than 2014, yes)...but he was left on the bench.

Windhook

Not to take anything away from Mbappe, but I always feel like the best chance to win a major trophy is in one's breakout season. When there isn't a blueprint out on how to slow you down.

Mbappe didn't command double teams and such back in his Monaco days. It's also why I feel Messi's best chance of the WC was in 2006 (even more than 2014, yes)...but he was left on the bench.

That's true. Just like nobody in the world had any idea how to stop the 2009 Barca phenomenon. It happened the next year with Mourinho's Inter and with some luck as their 3rd goal at Guiseppe Meazza was offside.

Anyway, Messi level of players happen every 10-15 years or even more. I don't see this potential neither in Mbappe, nor Haaland, although they are certainly going to dominate the game this decade.

SmilerBam

That's the problem. Other clubs (sheik or state-owned or whatever, idea is some dude with many billions owns the club) can afford flops amounting to 200-300m. We can't. That money has to be covered somehow by what the club generates.

I'm sure Bayern could spend 150m on a player if they want, but the risk is deemed too great, and pointless in the end. It's a business decision. You have to justify that spending with clear reasons, not pipe dreams.

How do you justify 300m spent on Coutinho and Dembele? Was either of them a World Cup winner or something? Were they golden boot winners, verified in CL by scoring in semifinals, final and such?

I think even Haaland is a risk for a huge sum. The only one who isn't a risk for 150m is Mbappe.

Really? I think Haaland is better than Mbappe.

BarcaOG

Banned
Last time we looked a well coached side was under Valverde

im afraid you are right

so far im disappointed by xavi. it has been clear for some time now that the squad needs revamping yet he seems not to think so. resigning alves, trying to extend both sergi roberto and dembele, when the latter has been a failure for 5 years now, etc.

he doesnt have a positive vision im afraid. he has a footballing vision, to be sure, but i dont think he knows how to get us there.

BarcaOG

Banned
It's been what, 3 matches?

Some of you are amazing to read

peps first three matches were bad too, but he had had the guts to ship ronaldinho, deco, etc. he had ideas.

xavi just wants to extend all our crappy players, it seems. thats not an idea

Bobo32

peps first three matches were bad too, but he had had the guts to ship ronaldinho, deco, etc. he had ideas.

Pep arrived in the summer and had the choice to change the squad before those first three matches.
I think Xavi is very consciously keeping as much of what Koeman built as possible for as long as possible, introducing one idea at a time. I think there will continue to be a gradual change, and that some things might happen in January but many things will happen in the summer.

El Gato

Villarato!

Like, yeah, think it's clear he was always gonna be pretty shite when it comes to making guys follow his ideas to begin with.
Lots of growth needs to happen for both players and coach before it gets better. So kinda useless to complain.

If you're disappointed by this, wait for European knockouts, whether it's in CL or EL

At this stage all you can do is dig heels in and hope you make smart business and 2-3 players grow real strong real fast

BarcaOG

Banned
Like, yeah, think it's clear he was always gonna be pretty shite when it comes to making guys follow his ideas to begin with.
Lots of growth needs to happen for both players and coach before it gets better. So kinda useless to complain.

If you're disappointed by this, wait for European knockouts, whether it's in CL or EL

At this stage all you can do is dig heels in and hope you make smart business and 2-3 players grow real strong real fast

bayern are going to annihilate us, so no CL kos. EL kos? what a joke.

El Gato

Villarato!
it is what it is dawgs
Got Barto to thank for it all, so no need to lash out at the silver tongue this early IMO

I'm enjoying it for my part.
Or at least take solace in that it may be a few seasons where all-time championship gap will grow a bit again

soul24rage

i simply cant fathom why pique is still playing for our club when he has been found wanting for 5-6 years now.

Agreed. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting things to change.

Changes were needed long ago and the likes of Pique should be, at the very maximum, a squad player.

BerkeleyBernie

It's been what, 3 matches?

Some of you are amazing to read

Yep. :lol: It's astounding. He has to work with the squad in the state it's currently in, might get some minor help in the winter transfer window, and the summer transfer window will be low on funds. I don't expect we will really see the full extent of Xavi's talent as a manager until the beginning of his second full season, 23-24.

I *do* expect we will see an improved Barca under Xavi in the next 2-3 months.

Home of Barca Fans