Xavi Hernández

TheStig

Yeah and it doesn't suit just the players that are in my first 11. Depay and Ferran would be ideal in the Fati role, Eric as a backup in 3atb, Alonso as a backup as a wingback, no RB since we don't have any, FDJ could have more freedom even in the DM role if he has 3 defenders behind him, Lewa less isolated, Fati as a SS which he is...

But the formations don't matter as long as Xavi will play Busi. If he continues, he'll very soon be able to coach him in the MLS/Qatar...

Last edited:

Gaudi

It's actually fitting that Xavi is here. I believe our philosophy will be our downfall so who better to implement that but a true believer?
Many here see we play to slow, static and so on, but why? I really think it's because of our Barca DNA bullshit that somehow become religion in Barca. It's in their blood not to lose a ball and keep possession. So how do you do that? By simple passes, no risk passes, taking a time on the ball to carefully control the game. I'm willing to bet that's why Pedri is even not trying killer balls.
In some lesser games you can see, only couple of times, that someone is making a vertical run to the box, anyhow that run is never respected with the pass, always recycle the possession is a preferred option. In big games they don't even try that run because they are all scared of losing the ball.
So no TIKI TAKA or something similar but this monster above has become our philosophy, this is our DNA: scared, cowardly, static football.
No, not everything needs to change all the time, Pep is still focused on dominating true passes for example, but we distorted our philosophy so much that we now need a manager whos first words to the team will be: You know about Barca DNA? I want you to forget about it!
We will always argue about this and that player but it can't be coincidence that they all fail here or start doing some crazy mistakes. Many of guys in our locker room know how to play differently.
This DNA will even destroy the talent of Pedri while we debate is he a generational talent od mediocre player.
We talk about age but yesterday their creative midfield was like 2x our age and no problem. The sad thing is they didn't play good, neither did Bayern and it has become enough for teams to beat us easily with so so games. This is were we are and Xavi will stubbornly watch Barca form to 2009 already today to try to repeat that.
So for me it's not Pedri or Kessie, Lew or young attacker, Dembele or someone but changing this DNA or dying in mediocrity.
Yes, we can all see and agree on some flaws of individuals, like Dembele IQ but he can still beat his mark 10 times in a game, problem is nothing happens afterwards, and that is our DNA.

Porque

Probably isn't so much lineup though but roles and functions on the pitch.

Can have a 433 work and a 433 not with the same personnel in each scenario.

Fullbacks overlapping (one or both sides) rather than holding back for sterile possession.

Attackers holding the touchline or cutting in for a through ball.

Midfield being close or spreading.

Etc.

And that's not going into in game tweaking.

Xavi has been a bit lost these past weeks unfortunately, and shown last season versus the Sausages that he struggles to tweak.

Can all improve still of course.

There is another issue in the club with the veterans and I believe part of the new "rift" between Xavi and the seniors.

And that is his brother and his lack of experience. Much like the amigos deemed Setien to not have enough clout and his assistant a barking dog, it seems that they also see Xavi brother as beneath them football knowledge wise.

I reckon this is where the issue is brewing and could get ugly.

BusiTheKing

I don't care if you call it a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-1-1 or whatever. We need more creative action in the middle. IMO Fati is our best option.

The interiors simply aren't the right type of player to make anything happen. When Pedri/Gavi get the ball, their disposition is to move the ball around, to set up attacks instead of creating them. Once or twice each game, Pedri will try something. But he's not really looking for it with any hunger. He's not actively forcing moves to happen.

Fati is clearly a different kind of player. When he gets the ball, his disposition is to instigate an attacking move. He's looking for it. He takes risks. He puts guts into the attack. It's simple. If you don't have this type of player, you're not going to score goals. If you only have them isolated in the wide positions, your only chance of creating something is through individual action in these ares. Pretty simple.

The other option, as I see it. Is to drive up the full backs to occupy the wide positions and free up the wingers to launch combinations from outside the box, Messi/Neymar style.

serghei

I don't care if you call it a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-1-1 or whatever. We need more creative action in the middle. IMO Fati is our best option.

The interiors simply aren't the right type of player to make anything happen. When Pedri/Gavi get the ball, their disposition is to move the ball around, to set up attacks instead of creating them. Once or twice each game, Pedri will try something. But he's not really looking for it with any hunger. He's not actively forcing moves to happen.

Fati is clearly a different kind of player. When he gets the ball, his disposition is to instigate an attacking move. He's looking for it. He takes risks. He puts guts into the attack. It's simple. If you don't have this type of player, you're not going to score goals. If you only have them isolated in the wide positions, your only chance of creating something is through individual action in these ares. Pretty simple.

The other option, as I see it. Is to drive up the full backs to occupy the wide positions and free up the wingers to launch combinations from outside the box, Messi/Neymar style.

Very good post.

i_bleed_blaugrana

See, yeah I have noticed Pedri has seemed more hesitant to risk playing incisive through balls recently. I think a lot of that has to do with just the team having less confidence following the results but deeper than that, it is what happens when the bottom of your foundations fall out with a leaky defense. Between not being confident that the defense will do their job and Busi slowly withering game after game, I think Pedri is feeling the burden of having to help establish control centrally and it is slightly taking away from his energy and focus on creating in the final third.

Tactically, I see less issues with the width and use of inverted fullbacks systemically. The problem for me is player selection from Xavi and a number of players simply are underperforming. I know my post yesterday was long but to reiterate something I said in there: our play dramatically improves once we play our young, strongest XI. Go back and look at all the 3 v 3s and good attacking opportunities have been wasted over the last two weeks. Even the goals we concede, most have come off of poor defensive mistakes and sloppy turnovers. I would say only the first goal Real scored really yesterday has been the first time we have been exposed tactically somewhat. Still came off of Busi selling and everyone knowing our right side is weaker without Araujo.

For me, Xavi doesnt need to dramatically rethink things tactically. His main task now is improving our execution, especially when it comes to sharper and quicker ball circulation and better decision making in the final third.

terryzinc

To those people saying we have a great roster we don't Messi (who we could have kept) has more goals and assists than Ferran Demble Raphina Depay COMBINED. Lewi is a great player but he is in decline and needs service. If you notice what RM does they sign young players with potential we are signing young players with no potential or older players. RM also hires experienced proven Manager Xavi has no real experience (SA doesn't count sorry).
We can barely beat La Liga teams and then lose to any decent teams like Inter or RM.

The talent acquisition is BAD. The coaching strategy is BAD. FCB have been signing the WRONG players since Neymar left. Barto was at least smart enough to refuse Messi leaving.

They have just lost all that CL money they were counting on they have mortgaged large portions of future earnings ... I said at the time the team are mortgaging their future it is a risk that might not pay off. They simply don't know what they are doing.

Two more things: RM use a 4 3 3 in virtually every game they play but they win. When Messi was here we would score late goals all the time. RM score late goals all the time.

Because of mismanagement and overpaying for players like Raphina Alonso Kessie etc (remember even free agents cost money in terms of salary) they lost the 1 good signing they did make in Auba him they let go off to register a bunch of new players...

Garcia is weak Kounde is weak Christenson is average meanwhile RM signed Militao Rudiger and Alaba all strong defenders - that is just 1 example

PS teams have figured out MTS's weakness and are scoring there every game.

PPS yes the refs cheat Barca every game they play in La Liga and CL - they are denied penalties while penalties against them are always given the REFS hate FCB or a paid off ...

Last edited:

Birdy

Fati is a forwad,
the creation comes from mds and especially interiors.
Right now only Pedri can do that, and yes, he doesn't do it all the time

That's why we need Bernardo Silva, an elite creator.
Simple as that

Iniesta Ultra

The next 3 games could potentially determine his future. Villareal, Bilbao and Bayern are going to be difficult to beat considering the form we are in. I want to see if he has the capacity to motivate the players to get out of this slump and rectify the tactical issues or if it's going to be the same old trash with Busquets as his centre piece in midfield. He has to win the Bayern game next week. If we continue to lose ground to Madrid and get dumped to Europa league he has to be sacked.

How many months/years of scared Xavicross can you witness before you stop wondering whether he can change lmfao.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
At this rate we'll spend another 200m and Xavi will still be talking about how we're in a rebuilding phase and slowly getting there and getting better.

I have zero faith in him right now. He's as rigid and stubborn as anyone can be.

Birdy

At this rate we'll spend another 200m and Xavi will still be talking about how we're in a rebuilding phase and slowly getting there and getting better.

But when koeman used the 'rebuilding' as an excuse you in here were slaughtering him

Home of Barca Fans