Xavi Hernández

George_Costanza

Xavi is very happy with Busi's performance. It's Busquets and 10 others... it's the message from within his environment. I guess we need to accept it, hopingly it's only for this season and we can find a replacement in the summer

This is what I heard too, he really thinks Busquets is still an elite player.

I said it right before we hired Xavi, his downfall would be playing his old friends' Pique, Busquets and Alba.

JamDav1982

Folk thought it was just words when he was calling Busquets the 'best DM in the world'.. it clearly wasnt.

As big as the failure of Barcas expensive signings has been the prominence given to legendary players.. both on and off the park.

At least this has raised the issue of Busquets and older players and not so easy to ignore next time they play poorly.

It is not even just the errors it is the clear drop in intensity Barca have near enough every game as so many old players. Watch Pique and Busquets the way pull defence deeper in second half v Granada as protecting themselves.

Then they have the hard neck to complain Barca stopped passing ball.. when they sat deep, coulnt get ball from defence to midfield and kept deferring ball back to MATS.

Last edited:

Birdy

Xavi's quote to his entourage that its 'Busquets and 10 others' is eye-opening to the folk here, who still dream of Busi being dropped, and Frenkie playing his position @khaled, [MENTION=15262]serghei[/MENTION], Jammy and others

And it's not that Xavi is wrong about Busi.
He has the characteristics he wants from his pivot. Summarizes neatly here:

FJRv7jfXwAMMLEX

EPV is similar to xT increase, show how much progressive pass increases threat.

And then, NO he can't play Frenkie there.
As if Frenkie ever played as single pivot, or as if he ever showed potential to play there :lol:
One of the best coaches out there, Erik Ten Hag, when asked whether Frenkie can play pivot, said in 2019:
"He leaves the middle of the pitch too often for that. And if you don?t give him the freedom to go forward, you won?t get the best out of his game."
Which is nothing other than spot on. Frenkie either as libero or as box to box has shown potential precisely because of his on and off the ball drives.
It's a complete misunderstanding of the players skills to think he can play as pivot.

I have criticized Busi many times, and his flaws, but it's clearer than daylight that the way Xavi sees football, Busi will never be dropped.
And that he has no replacement of him in his squad with similar football skills

KingLeo10

Xavi is a clown if he persists with Busquets in all games. He could still be useful as a bench player/rotation player but his time as an out and out starter has long been up since 2016.

Vladinho

Xavi's quote to his entourage that its 'Busquets and 10 others' is eye-opening to the folk here, who still dream of Busi being dropped, and Frenkie playing his position @khaled, [MENTION=15262]serghei[/MENTION], Jammy and others

And it's not that Xavi is wrong about Busi.
He has the characteristics he wants from his pivot. Summarizes neatly here:

FJRv7jfXwAMMLEX

EPV is similar to xT increase, show how much progressive pass increases threat.

And then, NO he can't play Frenkie there.
As if Frenkie ever played as single pivot, or as if he ever showed potential to play there :lol:
One of the best coaches out there, Erik Ten Hag, when asked whether Frenkie can play pivot, said in 2019:
"He leaves the middle of the pitch too often for that. And if you don?t give him the freedom to go forward, you won?t get the best out of his game."
Which is nothing other than spot on. Frenkie either as libero or as box to box has shown potential precisely because of his on and off the ball drives.
It's a complete misunderstanding of the players skills to think he can play as pivot.

I have criticized Busi many times, and his flaws, but it's clearer than daylight that the way Xavi sees football, Busi will never be dropped.
And that he has no replacement of him in his squad with similar football skills

Yeah, nice analysis. Saw it too. Maybe Xavi should have a second look at the fourth/last stat on that graph. The ammount of mistakes from Busi that lead to goalscoring opportunities for the other team is too high.

MTL_Barca

Is there a stat about acting like a tree in defense? Because that's the stat Busi would dominate with ease.

I mean of course it's clear what Xavi and others see in him. He has his qualities for sure. But...Xavi would still have these qualities as well, like i'm sure with regular training he could still play and nail passes like always but he knew it's not enough anymore to keep up. Xavi left at 36, Busi will be 34 going into next season. Time is ticking, and Busi already plays like he's 40 anyway.

Like yeah keep Busquets, but for the love of god at least think about alternatives already.

Last edited:

Birdy

Yeah, nice analysis. Saw it too. Maybe Xavi should have a second look at the fourth/last stat on that graph. The ammount of mistakes from Busi that lead to goalscoring opportunities for the other team is too high.

I agree.
But this applies in general to all Barca players IMO.
I posted a graph some time ago, showing that Memphis' losses of possession deep in the opposition's half lead often to threatening counter-attacks.
I bet for any Barca player we will find similar results if we look up what happens in their possession losses.

That is a problem of addressing modern football and the changes it induces since the time Xavi was playing.
counter-pressing in transitions, and in general dealing with transitions is fundamental nowadays
Our team is a liability in transitions: in the recent El clasico RM only threatened us through transitions, and NOT A SINGLE chance from structured attacking.
Xavi has to find a solution for that, and it doesn't concern Busi in particular

Birdy

Like yeah keep Busquets, but for the love of god at least think about alternatives already.

This is a problem of the SD area of the club.

They should be looking to find a WC potential, and long-term replacement of Busi, with similar characteristics.
Right now no one is available to bench Busi.
Not the same can be said about Pique for instance

JamDav1982

There is solutions to replace Busi more...FDJ in DM or change formation.

This idea of a 'unique skill set' that cant be replaced is nonsense.

As said.. Xavi had a unique skill set but his legs were gone to be same player he was and Rakitic came in to replace him and system tweaked which contributed to a treble.

Busquets was terrible v Real and they targeted him on and off the ball. Even against the poorer teams he looks knackered for periods and it impacts the team.

There is no other Busquets out there.. no other top team plays with a sole DM in same set up that is even remotely in same mould for a reason.

Stop trying to replace Busquets with a clone or else can just keep playing him until he is 40+ with that reasoning.

Rassvet

Catalan media destroy foreign fans including our own Barcaforum's Konan, Khaled, and Horatio

How do we respond bros?

.@Benayadachraf: "The Busquets hashtag is not spread by bots. It started yesterday in the Arab world."

.@moillorens: "Well those also asked for the signings of Seri, Seti?n, Dest, or the return of Neymar... good criteria they have..."

FJNPIt2X0AAOSlW

Birdy

There is solutions to replace Busi more...FDJ in DM or change formation.

This idea of a 'unique skill set' that cant be replaced is nonsense.

As said.. Xavi had a unique skill set but his legs were gone to be same player he was and Rakitic came in to replace him and system tweaked which contributed to a treble.

Busquets was terrible v Real and they targeted him on and off the ball. Even against the poorer teams he looks knackered for periods and it impacts the team.

There is no other Busquets out there.. no other top team plays with a sole DM in same set up that is even remotely in same mould for a reason.

Stop trying to replace Busquets with a clone or else can just keep playing him until he is 40+ with that reasoning.

You didn't read a line of what I posted.
FDJ can't play DM, it is well documented from people who understand the sport (you are obviously not in the category)
Get over it!

Formation also can't change under Xavi, as Xavi always wants a pivot with Busi characteristics.
So you want another coach, admit it
don't play hide and seek here

Home of Barca Fans