Women's football

khaled_a_d

I do wonder, should women football's stick to the same timeline as men's football during the season?
WNBA for example is done in summer, so that basketball fans will be tuned in as there won't be regular men basketball played so leaves all the spotlight for them.
Although it didn't bring much success (women basketball is abysmal, with best players barely able to dunk) it seems like logical move tbh

Andresito

Staff member
I do wonder, should women football's stick to the same timeline as men's football during the season?
WNBA for example is done in summer, so that basketball fans will be tuned in as there won't be regular men basketball played so leaves all the spotlight for them.
Although it didn't bring much success (women basketball is abysmal, with best players barely able to dunk) it seems like logical move tbh

Don't think there's much space for women's football to squeeze in when men aren't playing.

In the future there'll probably be a big NT tournament every summer.

Messi983

0:0 in the first half of the Super Copa against CD Tacon, we have been all over them with a lot of chances but so far no luck.

CD Tacon is shaping up to be a good opponent after they acquired some internationals.

1-0 win with a last minute Alexia goal. Should have been an easy 4-0 win at least tbh but sometimes wins like this are even better. :)

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
1-0 win with a last minute Alexia goal. Should have been an easy 4-0 win at least tbh but sometimes wins like this are even better. :)

Yup, we had many chances, skied it, hit the posts a couple of times and CD Tacon's keeper had a good game too.

Some errors and we were wasteful, just like the game we lost to Wolfsburg a couple of years ago when we were the better team. We will learn from this and get better.

Messi983

Supercopa final against Atleti is on now, we're without Aitana, Mariona and Crnogorcevic while Mapi Leon is on the bench just back from injury.

FJxz4DAX0AI0QxU

Messi983

7-0, total domination. CGH with a hattrick and Martens with a brace.

But best moment of the game was the return of Virginia Torrecilla after almost two years.

Atletico Madrid midfielder Virginia Torrecilla was thrown into the air by Barcelona players as they celebrated her return from a brain tumour.

It followed Barca's 7-0 win in the Spanish Super Cup final - the Spain international's first match since successful surgery in May 2020.

Torrecilla, 27, played for Barca from 2012-2015 and came on in the 86th minute to a standing ovation.

Her Atletico team-mates also threw her into the air after the game.

Torrecilla, who was given the captain's armband when she came on, last played in a 1-0 win for Spain over England in the SheBelieves Cup in March 2020.

"We have no words to describe this moment," Atletico tweeted. "You are an example of overcoming."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60102519

:worthy:

Really nice gesture of CGH as well.

[tw]1485300275174850565[/tw]

[I [MENTION=21601]caroline[/MENTION]GrahamH, player of @FCBfemeni: "For me today @VirginiiiaTr She was the best player of the match.

➡️ "It's been a great day for her, for football and for women's football in Spain".[/I]

Let me tell you something.. [MENTION=21601]caroline[/MENTION]GrahamH She wrote to me when I got sick, (without knowing me at all) telling me to recover and that she was waiting for me on the pitch, almost two years later, coincidences of life, that's how it has been! This award is yours, only yours! DESERVED.💪🏽

Messi983

Allianz wants to replace Stanley as a shirt sponsor of FCB Femeni and are prepared to pay more than 3,5m we're currently getting.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
If Allianz wants it then show us the money and pay additional money for it, don’t use the fact that they extended the club-wide sponsorship deal last year as an excuse to throw in the women’s team as a freebie.

Kul_z

Just saw that they have 122:6 goal difference in 21 games. All wins. Madness, ruthless. Maybe our men team could learn a thing or two from them.

Messi983

We won vs Sociedad (2nd on the table) 9-1 last week (we already beat them 8-1 at home in October). :worthy:

Another win yesterday, 3-0 away against Athletic.

We can officially confirm the league title in next round if we beat Alaves and Sociedad won't win against Eibar (second to last in the table). Game will only be played on March 6 as now there is a break for international football (Spain will play against Germany, England and Canada in the Arnold Clark Cup https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Arnold_Clark_Cup over next week) and then also a Copa game against Rayo before league will continue.

If we won't seal the title in next round we can do it at home against Real Madrid on March 13. Would prefer that.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Bad Monday for our women's team, Irene Peredes is going to be out for 4 weeks due to a muscle rupture in her left thigh femoral biceps. And then it was announced that Jana Fernandez had a torn cruciate ligament in her right knee and is going to be operated on soon, she is out for the rest of the season.

Home of Barca Fans