Italy

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Noticed there isn't a thread for them so I thought I'd make one.

I'm curious, what do you guys think of Lippi and his constant snubbing of Cassano even though he's the most in form Italian attacker, and probably the top player in Serie A, right now(and the fact that Italy are struggling in attack)? Not to mention Pazzini is in great form but can't seem to keep his place in the team. Then the fact that, despite him being quite possibly Milan's worst player this season, Gattuso has been recalled... Lippi will always be a hero in Italy for the WC win, but he's being a stubborn moron right now.

V

Valon

I'd say the most in form italian is Di Natale... anyway I don't like Italy due to their defensive minded play.

sammy

Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite
There are no italy's NT thread till now? shocking....

Lippi is a old generation anton, maybe he knows how good is cassano. But for an old gentleman like him, maybe his attitude and history are not acceptable for lippi.

Beast

The Observer
Cassano is dangerous and always will be, i thought he would shape up again under Capello in Madrid but i was mistaken .

The team consist of 23 players u need to have a good atmosphere , he isn't the only primadonna in the team so he will eventually do what seems provocative in the eyes of the other big boys .
Being excellent on the club level isn't enough , Sampdoria can afford to make him the king of their castle as they have no one remotely on par with him (same way Maradona was in Napoli ) but playing beside Pirlo,Buffon,Cannavaro..etc is different.
what if Lippi doesn't play him ? will he go in the news conference and attack him or undermine his authority like he did with Capello (whom he call a father ) in Madrid ?
As much as the team needs a replacement for Totti i have to support Lippi decision in excluding Cassano , if the team rely on a single player for qualification they better stay home cause Cassano can be marked

sammy

Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite
Pirlo always need other attacking minded playmaker, like kaka in milan and totti in italy. Now he's all alone in milan and also in italy, no "fantasista" to help him. Without cassano isn't that bad. But italy need fantasista. De agostino and montolivo is nowhere to be seen.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Cassano has been doing really well this season, first to turn up to training in pre-season and is the leader of the team, on and off the pitch, his attitude has seemingly changed(can't say for sure, but at least he's putting in the effort). The fact that Lippi picks a struggling player who is seemily past it over a player who could actually make a difference is silly. What would have been the harm in calling up Cassano for these 2 games? If he ends up as a failure then don't call him up next time, but seriously, Italy are so bad right now that there is no way they could possibly do worse with Cassano than they already are.

I hate all this football politics bullshit, managers are like policemen sometimes, power trippers that need to be hit upside the head.

S

Super Pippo

Like Beast said, its not the ability of Cassano in question, but his attitude. I'm not bothered about him being ignored, but for sure Lippi needs to try and nurish a new side.

You really should call up Cassano and Pazzini, they have in fantastic form for their clubs and they deserve it.

Beast

The Observer
Pirlo always need other attacking minded playmaker, like kaka in milan and totti in italy. Now he's all alone in milan and also in italy, no "fantasista" to help him. Without cassano isn't that bad. But italy need fantasista. De agostino and montolivo is nowhere to be seen.
De Agostino can replace Pirlo not an AM

Italy need to change the way the game played dramatically and by that u need to drop this 4-1-2-1-2 and look for fast wingers and deploy a 4-4-2 although speed isn't something you associate Italian players with par Di Natale and few others
Cassano has been doing really well this season, first to turn up to training in pre-season and is the leader of the team, on and off the pitch, his attitude has seemingly changed(can't say for sure, but at least he's putting in the effort). The fact that Lippi picks a struggling player who is seemily past it over a player who could actually make a difference is silly. What would have been the harm in calling up Cassano for these 2 games? If he ends up as a failure then don't call him up next time, but seriously, Italy are so bad right now that there is no way they could possibly do worse with Cassano than they already are.

I hate all this football politics bullshit, managers are like policemen sometimes, power trippers that need to be hit upside the head.

He has improved (as reported ) in the dressing room but that's because they virtually treat him like a king , he earned that in Sampdoria for sure but in Italy he need to take a more humble role which i don't think he is capable of doing.
Cassano always have this notion that everyone is against him , if Lippi don't use him it will be lots of moody blues something Lippi don't need and won't tolerate .

The team needs to introduce some young blood for sure but i don't see Cassano (and i believe he got the talent ) is worth the risk taken .. last thing a manager need is some dressing room problem

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Too bad Juve is screwing up Giovinco. There should be a place for both him and Diego in the team. Santon and Balotelli look very promising as well.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Personally I think he deserves a last chance really, but it's too late now since Lippi pretty much said he's only going to use the players from qualifying for the actual WC.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
italy should play 532.

buffon
santon, santacroce, cannavaro, chiellini, grosso
marchisio, de rossi, d'agostino
rossi, di natale

they'll never produce wingers in italy, it's not their steez. but if you play 5 at the back then the fullbacks can bomb on like a motherfucker knowing that there's 3 defenders back there to take care of things.

Beast

The Observer
yep u need Iaquinta or Toni or better include Amauri (even if he is a little rusty this season )

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
yep u need Iaquinta or Toni or better include Amauri (even if he is a little rusty this season )

tbh iaquinta is like luis fabiano. and he needs a top-class supporting outfit to truly shine and he won't get that for the azzuri.

have they given amauri his passport? coz if so he'd be perfect. you could even replace marchisio in midfield with someone a bit more offensive minded (and who would be able to get up and support amuari and di natale and then get back and help de rossi and d'agostino).

Those two wing-backs.. To who are they supposed to cross the ball to?

providing width isn't all about crosses.

still, point taken.

I do think 5 at the back is the future for italy.

Home of Barca Fans