Positive Thinking Cules

Bobo32

Jeffren was never good enough. He's behind Gio dos Santos, Munir, Sandro and Cuenca in terms of usefulness, and these are behind Tello.

And you're way too far-fetched with Neymar. He came, won titles, was among the best players in the world and earned us more than double we paid for him when he left. All in all a great transfer, shady Rosell deal aside.

What then happened after has nothing to do with Neymar. Look at it this way: would you rather we didn't buy Neymar in 2013 and him most likely going to Madrid instead?

Jeffren was good enough for his role, as was Cuenca, Tello and some of the others. Gio was more of a potential 'crack' that wasn't good enough, like Deulofeu.
These players weren't starters most of the time, but Pedro was and the team was at its best with him as a starter.

Neymar was brilliant, and for one or two years, he was maybe the right kind of player to bring success on the field, tactically. The entire world had started to insta-park the bus against Barcelona and perhaps there was a hint of truth to the general opinion that Barcelona had turned a bit toothless and drab. He was good to get through the bus, and also clinical enough when Lucho decided to turn the game a bit more chaotic.

My point with Neymar is he (and Enriques success in 2015), gave fuel to the idea that most supporters have naturally - "if only we could buy this new hyped player that has performed very well for the last months in another system, it would solve our problems!". And the turning to less control through the ball (that was possible partly through Neymars brilliance) was very bad for the club, long term.

I have called the 2015 victory a pyrrhic one. Neymar brought money and won games in the end, but I'd probably still prefer him to have gone to Madrid yes, with Barcelona taking a very different direction.
To stay on topic - I am positive since I think they are on the beginning of the right track again!

Bobo32

Some day Bobo needs to explain to me his dislike for Ansu when advocating for Munir, Sandro and co. Apart from his need to be a contrarian. Makes zero sense, especially considering how "sharp" Fati plays (unlike Neymar).

I didn't know I disliked him. What made you think that?

Windhook

The prospect of playing in EL doesn't sound too bad in this situation. We need games in Europe to boost the confidence of our players, especially the youngsters and I believe the club will progress to the final stages. Of course from a financial standpoint CL is much better.

Barca competed in UEFA Cup in 2003/04, having finished 6th the season before, losing to Celtic 1-0 on aggregate in the fourth round.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Looking at the teams currently playing and potentially could be playing in the EL, we don't really hold any advantages. Just play well and don't expect too much.

serghei

Relax guys, we're only 5 points behind top 4. :p
Apparently Sociedad ran out of steam. But at least they have steam.

We have an engine that runs on logs.

Ups the wrong thread. This is the place we're supposed to say everything will be allright.

hardyboy

Want this front 6 next season

Fati------Haaland-----Dembele

-----Pedri-------------------Gavi--------

----------------De Jong-------------------

Last edited:

Messi983

Relax guys, we're only 5 points behind top 4. :p

Only 2 points now.

Barca 2022/23:

?????

Mazraoui (24) - Araujo (23) - ???? - Gaya (27)

Pedri (19) - FDJ (25) - Gavi (18)

Dembele (25) - Ferran (22) - Fati (19)

with likes of Garcia (21), Marmol (21), Balde (18), Nico (20), Puig/Collado (23), Abde (20) on the bench.

() - players ages at the start of next season

Still some work to do but we're on the right path.

Windhook

Great to see Pedri, Ansu and Depay train intensively with the team. Ferran is still some way back in recovery, but hopefully he'll get there. Also no sign of Demir, which indicates his future.

Andresito

Staff member
Alves and Alba are back. Important to recover as many players as possible during this month to give Xavi something to work with. On paper everyone but Roberto should become available in the coming weeks.

Andresito

Staff member
Alves and Alba are back. Important to recover as many players as possible during this month to give Xavi something to work with. On paper everyone but Roberto should become available in the coming weeks.

Pedri, Ansu and Memphis are also training with the group.

Home of Barca Fans