FC Barcelona Handbol

serghei

Dont think handball would be even remotely close to 2nd most watched sport in europe.

I didn't say most watched. Football and tennis pretty much nuke all the others in Europe. Football is so much on every week from multiple leagues + European cups, that people don't watch a lot of the others.

Messi983

Volleyball above handball? :lol: No way. For me, that's a chick sport. And Ice hockey is related to climate. In colder countries, it's popular, outside of that not much.

Well, women's volleyball is worth watching tbh. :lol: And so is curling from that pov. :D

And yeah, there is a Champions Hockey League.

JamDav1982

I didn't say most watched. Football and tennis pretty much nuke all the others in Europe. Football is so much on every week from multiple leagues + European cups, that people don't watch a lot of the others.

So what is criteria for most popular?

The favourite sport?

I doubt anyone disputes football is most popular. The viewing figures show that. I would say viewing figures is the most accurate if trying to determine what is most popular.

Messi983

Recently founded. Only 6 countries :lol:

Sure, I didn't say it's popular, just that it exists.

But tbh hockey is also quite popular in countries like Germany (is clearly behind handball though), Austria and Switzerland. And we shouldn't forget Russia with their big population. Yeah, I know many Russian clubs competing in the KHL (which is the 2nd best hockey league in the world) are located in Asia but most people still live in European Russia.

OTOH volleyball is very popular in Italy (their league is the best in the world), again in Russia, Poland, Turkey,... which are all countries with big population.

So I'm not sure handball should so clearly be considered as a no. 3 behind football and basketball.

khaled_a_d

Handball seems to be either really popular in some countries, or non-existent in others.
I think this is why the difference n perception for people here.
I don't know if it is a top 3 in Europe, but I think in many countries/regions it is.

serghei

Handball seems to be either really popular in some countries, or non-existent in others.
I think this is why the difference n perception for people here.
I don't know if it is a top 3 in Europe, but I think in many countries/regions it is.

Handball is Europe based, it's not popular outside Europe (and South America to an extent), but in Europe the biggest countries (except UK) all are playing it a lot and are very good at it.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Handball is Europe based, it's not popular outside Europe (and South America to an extent), but in Europe the biggest countries (except UK) all are playing it a lot and are very good at it.

Didn't deny it, although I would say it is Northern Africa that has most popularity outside Europe.

Also, I don't think it is popular in Italy either.

serghei

Didn't deny it, although I would say it is Northern Africa that has most popularity outside Europe.

Also, I don't think it is popular in Italy either.

Forgot about Africa, true. Hey btw, your country is hosting the World Cup shortly... :lol:

Handball is very low in popularity in North-America, Asia, and Australia.

Yea, don't know why it didn't pick up in Italy. Volleyball is preferred there. I think Volleyball and Handball are fighting for the same type of talent.

Last edited:

serghei

Xavi Pascual should have been sacked years ago. Another failure in the Final 4 while having the best team.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I wonder if the financial crisis and shifting priorities (toward the football first team) will mean we will not be able to sustain many of the non-football squad such as handball, basketball, futsal and roller hockey, some of which have dominated Europe for a long time (even though they might have not won the championship every year).

Home of Barca Fans