FC Barcelona Handbol

serghei

Team should be cut loose. Cost/benefit doesnt make sense. Especially during these times. I mean, who likes handball?

What? :lol:

I think it's the most successful section in the whole club. And handball is probably the 3rd popular team sport after football and basketball.

Messi983

https://www.totalsportek.com/popular-sports

Don't know how accurate this list is but if you exclude individual sports and those that are mostly popular on other continents (like cricket, rugby, baseball, American football) I'd probably also put ice hockey in front of handball if we're only talking about Europe. Maybe volleyball as well.

Messi983

My personal preferences are:

1. football
2. American football (both NFL and college)
3. baseball
4. darts

Handball I usually only watch Barca in the CL and European championships from quarter/semi-final. The same for volleyball and hockey WC. Occasionally an NHL game if nothing else on TV but I hardly watch full games.

Don't like NBA so of basketball only watch Barca (usually El Clasicos and Euroleague); and occasionally NCAA basketball and also WNBA - just my favourite team though :)

Also not a fan of other popular individual sports like tennis, F1 or boxing. Table tennis is ok but not shown much on TV in my country unless in Olympics so don't really watch it. Climbing is also quite attractive for me but again not broadcasted much.

serghei

https://www.totalsportek.com/popular-sports

Don't know how accurate this list is but if you exclude individual sports and those that are mostly popular on other continents (like cricket, rugby, baseball, American football) I'd probably also put ice hockey in front of handball if we're only talking about Europe. Maybe volleyball as well.

Ice hockey and even volley must surely be above. Who the fuck watches handball? It's dreadful boring lmao

Volleyball above handball? :lol: No way. For me, that's a chick sport. And Ice hockey is related to climate. In colder countries, it's popular, outside of that not much.

Do you even have Champions League in hockey? Never heard of it. Always was a more local sport for me, similar to American Football.

In Europe, it's football, basketball, and handball. All 3 with great intercountry competitions such as Champions League or Euroleague.

In Europe handball is huge. It's no2 sport in Germany, no1 sport in all nordic countries like Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark. I think no2 in France, I think no2 after football in most Balkanic countries like Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia, Montenegro. Huge in Central European countries such as Poland and Hungary. No2 or 3 in Spain as well after football and basketball.

Last edited:

serghei

Think you are over estimating handball popularity.

Is it based on viewing figures or participation?

It's not as popular in United Kingdom, that's true. But overall, in Europe? After Football and Basketball. Slightly ahead of Rugby. Volleyball, Ice Hockey, not so much.

Globally handball is not as popular, but in Europe it's easily top 5.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

No way nordic countries care more about handball than hockey. And Balkanbros certainly prefer their hoopz after football.
I of course am also biased, because i can't imgaine normal people watching it. It seems like the kind of sport that could be only interesting to someone, who also plays it.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

It's not as popular in United Kingdom, that's true.

Depends on what mean by most popular. For me that means how many people watch it as opposed to how many play it.

No idea the numbers but doesnt feel like handball is popular to watch as other sports.

Home of Barca Fans