20 - Sergi Roberto

Bobo32

Adriano was better than this guy.

Maybe, he was decent.

Strange that this thread is one of the most active ones here, after a pretty terrible game where Barcelona was losing in midfield the whole game, and where he entered for the last 15min, making 8/8 correct passes, and if anything looked to increase the quality of the midfield.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Roberto hit jackpot in life.

Man's mentally checked out. He got to play for Barca longer than he probably should have in an ideal scenario, got married to his model gf and got a bigger contract than he likely ever envisioned.

Richard.H

I am curious how much COVID has effected him. Off topic, but this virus is scary and who knows how much it physically takes away from you. At the highest professional levels in all sports, even a 2 % decrease in physicality, stamina, speed is noticeable

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I am curious how much COVID has effected him. Off topic, but this virus is scary and who knows how much it physically takes away from you. At the highest professional levels in all sports, even a 2 % decrease in physicality, stamina, speed is noticeable

Cannot know for sure, but from someone that had COVID a while ago it did take me some time to be able to jog without being out of breath like a 80 year old man.

Messigician

Yeah he went from great player to useless

Messi983

I'm sure it has affected him alongside longterm injuries so not surprised he's been poor after his return and I don't blame him for that. He's not the one who should be brought on as a game changer but we don't really have much options with Pjanić and Puig both in Koeman's doghouse for whatever reason(s) and Dest being inconsistent. I think he's better than what he's shown this season but would still like to move on from him if possible. If he stays he should be nothing more than a 5th midfield choice (RB spot should be for Dest and Emerson) on reduced wages.

Gnidrologist

He wasn't all that great anywhere in the past either. Think this is his normal level in his current age. Bringing him on to change game against Atleti was stupid.

Bobo32

He wasn't all that great anywhere in the past either. Think this is his normal level in his current age. Bringing him on to change game against Atleti was stupid.

I don't know if anyone ever called him great.
He is, and has always been, a good squad player, one of not so many players able to play in a great Barcelona team, because of his very good basic technique and vision and decent physique.

Here are some stats, comparing him with Dest:
https://fbref.com/en/players/335fa267/Sergi-Roberto
https://fbref.com/en/players/5976f83e/Sergino-Dest
https://fbref.com/en/stathead/playe...0-2021&player_id2=335fa267&p2yrfrom=2020-2021

I have not gone into detail into them but only glanced, and have no point I want to make with them but link them for potential discussion (it should be said that Robertos stats are doped by him playing MC as well)
I think him and Dest are of pretty similar quality, it's a question of taste (and gameplan) who you prefer. I think it's tasteless and dumb to shit on Roberto the way most do here.

edit: what I did see on these stats though, is the amount of progressive passes between the players. Dest is 23th percentile, while Roberto is 76th, compared to other full backs in the last 12 months. Roberto has been shat on very much because he "constantly passes backwards"...
Dest dribbles more often obviously, but they're pretty equal in "progressive carries". Roberto attempts more passes and has a better pass% and also seems to have a slightly better "xA" and passes leading to shots...

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans