20 - Sergi Roberto

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Imagine selling Roberto and Semedo and replacing them with De Sciglio and some other dud :lol:

Roberto and Semedo have been pretty average, but I'd take both over De Sciglio any day.

Messi983

I like Roberto as a squad player but this year is probably the last chances to get a good money for him and Pep is probably the only coach he would go to play for so if his interest is real and we can get 40m+ I'd do it.

Imagine selling Roberto and Semedo and replacing them with De Sciglio and some other dud :lol:

Roberto and Semedo have been pretty average, but I'd take both over De Sciglio any day.

Sell Roberto to City for 40m, swap Semedo for Alaba, buy Dest for 20m and keep Wague as a backup.

Dest/Wague - Pique/Todibo* (Araujo) - Lenglet/Umtiti/Alaba - Alba/Alaba

Alba would finally have a good competition and Alaba could also cover at CB when Umtiti (who we won't be able to sell/loan) will inevitably be injured again. Having two young inexperienced RBs could backfire but then again I don't expect us to win anything next season so we could just see what we have in younger players.

* I think Todibo could be kept if we'd sell both Roberto and Semedo to get money we need but in reality he'll probably be the first one sold.

Vilarrubi

He looks so fkn good

Roberto FDJ Arthur

Finally some legs in midfield

We've tried this enough times. He has the odd good game, but the other games make you realise he's not cut out to be a starting midfielder at Barca. Same applies for him at RB, great versatile squad player but thats about it.

JamDav1982

I like Roberto as a squad player but this year is probably the last chances to get a good money for him and Pep is probably the only coach he would go to play for so if his interest is real and we can get 40m+ I'd do it.

Sell Roberto to City for 40m, swap Semedo for Alaba, buy Dest for 20m and keep Wague as a backup.

Alba would finally have a good competition and Alaba could also cover at CB when Umtiti (who we won't be able to sell/loan) will inevitably be injured again. Having two young inexperienced RBs could backfire but then again I don't expect us to win anything next season so we could just see what we have in younger players.

* I think Todibo could be kept if we'd sell both Roberto and Semedo to get money we need but in reality he'll probably be the first one sold.

Wague is nowhere near a Barca player and be lucky to get money for him let alone being good enough for back up. Wont be in first team squad next season.

Bayern wont want Semedo and Alaba is likely to stay on a new contract.

Zebulun

Agree with the roberto as a squad player at his best. problem is our squad planning is and was wack. Firpo still not showing the right level meant that we saw semedo over there when alba injured or out of form, now with semedo leaving means we'd probably see roberto deputize there, if roberto leaves and firpo still hasnt shown the required level who will deputize? if the club is waiting for emerson in 2021 who could come on a cheap, why should we sign Dest? Due to todibo's pace and ability he could easily play on the right if a coach guides him. for free. i disagree with getting alaba because im sure he'll only come for big wages and also he mostly plays CB these days.

JamDav1982

Agree with the roberto as a squad player at his best. problem is our squad planning is and was wack. Firpo still not showing the right level meant that we saw semedo over there when alba injured or out of form, now with semedo leaving means we'd probably see roberto deputize there, if roberto leaves and firpo still hasnt shown the required level who will deputize? if the club is waiting for emerson in 2021 who could come on a cheap, why should we sign Dest? Due to todibo's pace and ability he could easily play on the right if a coach guides him. for free. i disagree with getting alaba because im sure he'll only come for big wages and also he mostly plays CB these days.

Firpo was the back up LB far more than Semedo.

Todibo is not ready to play for Barca. He needs to learn how to play CB and stop being so rash/risk taking.

Will be hard for him to learn that as a back up and needs to go on loan again or be sold if teams offering 20m+.

Andresito

Staff member
It's always the same story with Roberto.

When he plays RB: "But he's a midfielder"
When he plays CM: "His best position is actually RB"

He's a wonderful squad player with an exceptional mentality and I love him in that sense. But the truth is his status has become too high.

khaled_a_d

We don't need to get money for him, he can easily give us 4 solid years while accepting his role in the club. We will more than likely to pay more than that for a back up CM/RB in the team. Nah, not worth it at all financially.
Also, he along MATS are the only U-30 high character veterans that we will need to ease transition from the old guard while renewing the squad. Could add Griezmann?Umtiti but I doubt they have future in the club.

DonAK

We don't need to get money for him, he can easily give us 4 solid years while accepting his role in the club. We will more than likely to pay more than that for a back up CM/RB in the team. Nah, not worth it at all financially.
Also, he along MATS are the only U-30 high character veterans that we will need to ease transition from the old guard while renewing the squad. Could add Griezmann?Umtiti but I doubt they have future in the club.

Even so you don't reject a 30-40m offer for him.

And I'm not too sure he'll be happy with a backup role. He's happy right now because he gets to play and start a lot of games. He almost left before Lucho convinced him to stay and converted him to a RB.

Barca's plan should be getting an upgrade on both Roberto and Semedo at RB. Not settle for either of them for a few more years.

El Gato

Villarato!
Hope he's sold. One less player who busts his ass for Blaugrana is always good for RM, even if he's average 90% of the time. 40M is a no brainer if anybody offers it, should be laughing your way to the bank.

khaled_a_d

Even so you don't reject a 30-40m offer for him.

You reject it without thinking twice.

And I'm not too sure he'll be happy with a backup role. He's happy right now because he gets to play and start a lot of games. He almost left before Lucho convinced him to stay and converted him to a RB.

He plays a lot because he is versatile, and this is very valuable for both him and the club.

DonAK

I completely disagree and think it's foolish. If you can bring in a good replacement for Semedo/Roberto and use the money you get from him to sign a better midfielder, and actually improve the team and its chances of winning major trophies then it's a good deal.

An average utility player is not worth more than that. He steps up against Real Madrid though so I'll give him that.

In a year you'll have to renew his contract and he'll likely demand a much higher salary due to his standing in the squad. We got to stop giving average players higher salaries than they'll get elsewhere.

khaled_a_d

I completely disagree and think it's foolish. If you can bring in a good replacement for Semedo/Roberto and use the money you get from him to sign a better midfielder, and actually improve the team and its chances of winning major trophies then it's a good deal.

An average utility player is not worth more than that. He steps up against Real Madrid though so I'll give him that.

In a year you'll have to renew his contract and he'll likely demand a much higher salary due to his standing in the squad. We got to stop giving average players higher salaries than they'll get elsewhere.

You need to replace him with 2 players, average backup player cost 25-30M for us.
Never mind he gives us versatility in playing a winger or RM.
40M is actually below his value and more importantly cost us more to replace. Never mind the plenty of "IF" in your post
If we get a better RB, If we get a midfielder, if we get both with less money, and we don't waste the money on another attacker.
In a year we will have another board, Roberto won't have much chance in trying to get insane wages either. Unless the next board is fool and then we will have way bigger problem than his salary.
And his standing in the squad is important, we don't need to create a hole in leadership in the team once the veteran removed. Only Roberto & MATS can fill that role and that is already pretty thin. Every other player we have between 25-30 should not stay here beyond next season (unless Griezmann prove himself)

Last edited:

JamDav1982

40m for Roberto is too low.

Would need to be nearer 60m before Barca would look at it most likely.

Reports were turned down 60m last summer.

Home of Barca Fans