Athletic Club de Bilbao

FlyLo

Anderlecht-Athletic will be a close game. Athletic have the advantage of playing in a far superior league, though.

C

CTID

I saw this article in An English tabloid.

BARCELONA will step up their £50million pursuit of Cesc Fabregas this week if they successfully offload midfielder Yaya Toure.

But selling Toure to Manchester City now looks less likely with the Eastlands club preparing a £25million bid for Athletic Bilbao midfielder Javi Martinez.

Barca are so close to selling Toure, president Joan Laporta admitted: "Personally it makes me feel very bad that Toure is leaving.

"It is difficult to find another player as versatile as him who has so much quality anywhere in Europe."

But Manchester United and Chelsea are now favourites to land Toure after City turned their attention to Martinez.

Barca chief Laporta revealed yesterday: "We listened to them (Manchester City) because Toure's agent requested it."

But the player's agent Dmitri Seluk said: "Toure is still some way from City. He wants to play for a big club and, at the moment, that means Manchester United or Chelsea."

So having sounded out Barcelona and then been knocked back by the player, City are ready to go ahead with a Martinez bid this week.

The club has carried out more extensive checks on the 21-year-old midfielder in the last few days.

And officials are now convinced he is the perfect player to help lead them into the Champions League next season.

Athletic Bilbao paid £6million for Martinez three years ago from Osasuna despite the fact that he had not played a first team match.

His mature performances and goals from midfield have since seen him linked with both Barcelona and Real Madrid this season and get a World Cup call-up.

His capture would end City's interest in Toure but Barcelona president Laporta is still confident he can shift the Ivory Coast man and finally close the £50million Fabregas deal.

I must admit i know absolutely nothing about Martinez. Can any of you guys tell me if he's any good?

Home of Barca Fans