Gonzalo Higuain

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
At the moment, he's the second most valuable player in RM, after CR. In some matches, even the better...

Pepe Silvia

The kid is just something of a terror. I'm only halfway through the first half of yesterday's match but such a joy to watch him and Messi working hard to score some goals. Argentina is looking great.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
Higuain + Messi + Aguero = World Cup - Maradona- Colloccini - Heinze = Epic unlucky fail.

Beast

The Observer
How Higuain has silenced the doubters
Soccernet

March 5, 2010

No striker in Europe can boast Gonzalo Higuain's goals-per-minute ratio. After a summer of high-profile arrivals, the fear was that Higuain would be lost in the galaxy of stars at Real Madrid and even the most optimistic in the capital hadn't imagined that he would become one of the most consistent goalscorers on the planet.

His passion and his ability have long been acknowledged, but now he is also scoring goals on a regular basis. As El Pais recently explained in an excellent report, he has scored 16 goals for his club this season - one every 77 minutes - with other top-class forwards unable to match his efficiency in front of goal. Wayne Rooney has scored one goal every 105 minutes for Manchester United, while Lionel Messi is only slightly ahead with one every 103 minutes. Higuain has been clinical, scoring, on average, from every 2.6 shots.

With Karim Benzema's signing and club legend Raul's continued presence, Higuain appeared to present the biggest dilemma for Manuel Pellegrini but his record now offers a persuasive reason to make him an integral part of his side.

His undoubted success with Madrid this season is now translating onto the international stage and, ahead of this summer's World Cup, the 22-year-old looks to have established himself in the Argentina first XI despite Diego Maradona's predilection for sweeping changes.

He had endured a difficult and controversial start with the national team. His career with La Albiceleste started on the wrong foot as, in 2006, France called him up to play for Les Bleus. Higuain, who was born in France because his father use to play for Brest, took his time before making a decision. In a particularly passionate and emotional country like Argentina, where football helps people to forget their troubles, his indecision was viewed as an affront.

A year later, El Pipita, as he is known, caused controversy when he refused a call-up to the FIFA Under-20 World Cup: "I'm ready to play for Argentina but not to go to the youth World Cup," he told the Argentinean press. "I'd rather go on holiday than go to that."

For some time, the indications seemed to be that Higuain's personality had cost him an international career. There were even suggestions that the young players at the core of the national team - led by Sergio Aguero and Messi - did not want him in the team. It was also said that Fernando Gago, his compatriot at Real Madrid, refused to take part in a joint interview with Higuain for Madrid-based newspaper Marca due to personal differences.

Nevertheless, he got better and better for his club, learning new skills to become more dangerous on the pitch. In October 2009, he finally made his international debut, scoring the opener on his debut, a potentially vital World Cup qualification victory over Peru. This week, he made it two goals in four games as Argentina won 1-0 in a friendly in Germany, and it is looking increasingly like he could be a central figure in South Africa.

He is now a different player to the 19-year-old who moved to the Bernabeu from River Plate for €13 million in 2007. Higuain had at first looked anxious in front of goal; now, having had extensive shooting practice in training, he is lethal.

"All strikers have good moments and bad moments, but scoring goals is something that you can work on," he said recently. "In the last two seasons, I've been calmer when I've had chances to score. In the past, I had many chances in front of goal but I use to rush and it would end in failure."

Now, he has improved in all aspects: he plays an important role in the team game, he's able to created his own chances, is more physical and knows when to take a moment rather than acting hastily. Significantly, he also has the ability to make a difference in the dying minutes. Delivering against the best sides in Europe in the Champions League appears to be the only area he needs to improve.

Manolo Ruiz, who was the assistant manager during Bernd Schuster's time at Madrid, told El Pais recently: "He has never buckled under the pressure of competition. With us, he had to fight with Raul and Van Nistelrooy and he didn't give up like others had. He has a winning character and he lives for football. Gonzalo was always a consistent player and he has a great work ethic."

Higuain, meanwhile, remains focused on delivering on the pitch, not becoming distracted by recent praise but still maintaining the highest ambitions: "It's a dream to be so close to the top scorers in La Liga. I'm doing my best to finish as the pichichi."

With 16 La Liga goals, Higuain is just one behind Messi and Valencia's David Villa.

Lemmi

The Reckoner
problem is he is still calderon's man and that will always be against him being madrid's star

Beast

The Observer
It's all about the fans Lemmi, we adore him and he is very very very popular beyond belief

Lemmi

The Reckoner
yeah but he wont get the love from the press whilst perez is in charge and when things arent so good he wont have a lot of support.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
Local star, hasn't done anything international. Not one of the big boys so far. Let's wait and see what he does where the level is high before he silences the doubters.

Bets in for the CL and clasico (not at home)?

Beast

The Observer
He scored in the classico twice , he scored in tough games in dying moments ,i don't care about away in Camp nou he is still very young and will score plenty ..
he proved himself with Argentina as well
CL i agree he need to prove himself however to his credit he seem to add a virtue every year , this is the first year he score in the CL at all , hope he will add the KO competition along the way

J

Jordzibob

Put it this way

He's better than Ibrahimovic, and Ibrahimovic is considered one of the "big names".

EDIT: Plus his name is fun to say. Ig Wah EEEEEENNNNNNNN

:D

Last edited:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Higuain has not been so great in CL, but age is on his side... And those who say he is better than Ibra has got no clue, he might become a better player than Ibra in future but right now he's miles behind!!

Beast

The Observer
the thing is (and that's mainly directed to Gneg post ) no one claimed Higuain is better than Villa ,Rooney..etc
and no claimed he is a top 3 player in the world (like Ibra case which Gneg is making an innuendo about in his last post ) ..
the kid keeps working hard each year , improving each year , very humble (he just praised Ruud VN advise on how to overcome drought periods for a striker )
so he has no doubters to prove , he just keep scoring goals left and right and do his hard work every game

Home of Barca Fans