Wayne Rooney

W

Wonderkid

Wayne Rooney is quality no doubt about it. He can do wonderful stuff in a spark of genius.

But he really is kinda inconsistent up front. Might be because he usually drops too deep.. Might see more from him if Man Utd switch back to 4-4-2 next season.

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
Wayne Rooney will score 20 or more goals in the Premiership I guarantee it. I think if Owen and Berba score 25 between them in the Prem they should do well because they have a rock solid defence.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Fabio can bring the best of Rooney, he is the type of player Fabio like and can use well to destroy opponents

absolutely.

fergie helped rooney develop an all-around game and patience, but it's capello who is refocusing that all-around talent back into where it should be channelled - goals.

I don't, I think he's a very decent player but he's rarely exceptional. He's a long way behind the likes of Messi, Iniesta, Ronaldo, Kaka et al. He burst on to the scene but I think he's reached a stage where he really needs to prove himself again. I don't think SAF really helps Rooney because he doesn't play him in a consistent position and I know this is something that frustrates Fabio Capello.

the bit in bold is absolutely spot-on.

he hasn't kicked on from his debut for united, not really, but that just shows how amazing he was at the age of 17. you're wrong about rarely exceptional though. he's a brilliant player and the heartbeat of the united side. in 07/08 they only lost two games he played in (fa cup vs. pompey and at the bridge 2-1 altho he went off injured after making it 1-1) and this season he was again a big part of their successes.

he can improve, and by that I mean score more goals (which is all he needs to improve, his all-around game is superb) and there were signs of it last season with england and united before fergie started jerking him around in LW again to accommodate ronaldo's lack of workrate.

a full season up-front with a more integrated berbatov besides him will see him truly step-up IMO. if carrick stepped up and played like he can do more regularly rooney would become even better.

VivaBarca

He will be upfront consistently this season which is good news for Manchester Uniited supporters because he scores goals in that position. He is a great player but hasn't lived up to the hype.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
To be fair he's still only 24 so he can still become a great. This will be his season now, the next 2-3 years will be make or break for him really.

VivaBarca

I want to see him at a major international tournament, at Euro 2004 he was England's best player but at the World Cup he didn't do well.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I think Rooney was "made" long time ago with being instrumental in ManUtd`s domestic titles + the Champions League win a year ago. It`s up to other youngsters in United`s team to step up. Players like Nani, Anderson and also some new players (by age and arrival). Berbatov, Obertan... to show why were they paid top bucks.

R

Red Devil

Rooney is a warrior who also has balance skill vision and a deadly strike . If he were in the Roman times he would of be a Gladiator without a doubt he has a temper like a mad man though.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Yes but you saying it Viva as a Scotsman would be useless - it needed to come from someone that resides either in a european country that was there or from a person in another continent ;)

VivaBarca

We don't get much success Ed we grow accustimed and then laugh when England fail. Which doesn't happen often ;).

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Nice dive vs. Slovenia. Btw. Where´s the media now to rave about the suspension? I suppose English players don´t dive.. Or maybe someone has to break his leg first, like Eduardo´s was?
Disgrace.
It´s either you take action vs. diving or you don´t. Applying double criteria is not a way to go.

Home of Barca Fans