Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Henrik Larsson

_40890206_larsson_203.jpg

Name: Henrik Edward Larsson
Born: 20th of September 1971
Place of birth: Helsingborg, Sweden

Here`s how Henke recapped his career. These are the fragments of his autobiography...

1971-1988: THE EARLY YEARS

"When teachers asked us in class what we wanted to be, the other kids would say the obvious things like train driver, or fireman. I always said I wanted to be a professional footballer"

I was born in September 1971 in Helsingborg, a small football-mad Swedish city. My father, who came from the Cape Verde Islands off the West African coast, loved the game as well, and apparently as soon as I started to walk I had a football at my feet. He gave me my first ball when I was 16 months and I learned to dribble with, and without, the ball!

Football dominated our playtime. There was a really nice grassy field down the bottom of our garden, and all the kids in the neighbourhood used to kick about there. We had big games, and I'd play with my brothers Kim, who's now 31, and Robert, who's 26. I loved swimming as well, and in the winter I skated on the frozen ponds. Ice hockey is big in the area but I just wanted to play football.

We'd watch the top English matches on TV on Saturday afternoons, especially Liverpool and Spurs who had some great players at the time. I watched people like Kenny Dalglish, Kevin Keegan, Terry MacDermott, at Liverpool, and Ossie Ardiles at Spurs, and just wanted to be like them. My parents also gave me a video of Pele's life story, and I watched it again and again. When teachers asked us in class what we wanted to be, the other kids would say the obvious things like train driver, or fireman. I always said I wanted to be a professional footballer. I think they thought I was just a dreamer. Perhaps I was.

I was a small child, and had a bit of hard time at school, but I think being good at sport helped. I wasn't that interested in school, I was always in a rush, and ran everywhere. At that age you don't realise the hard work involved in becoming a footballer. There are so many talented footballers out there you have to be dedicated, but also lucky. Being in the right place at the right time is very important.

I joined my first proper team, Hogaborg BK in Helsingborg, when I was six. For years I was convinced I'd make it as a pro, but then when I got to around 12 I seemed to stop growing and all the other boys were getting bigger. I was still quite quick, but it was getting easier for the big lads to knock me about. I spent the following season,when I was 13, completely on the bench, and a lot of the enthusiasm I had went. It wasn't just that I stopped wanting to be a footballer, I just stopped trying so hard. But one coach, Bent Person, who unfortunately died recently, took me aside. He believed I had a real talent and he told me that I was still young and would grow soon. He also said that talent isn't always enough, sometimes you have to work hard as well. It's advice I've taken with me everywhere.

When I was 15, I was asked to train with the seniors during the summer, and the following year they moved me up to the senior team. I played my first full game for them at 17 in the Swedish Third Division. I loved it. I was doing loads of other jobs, packing fruit and vegetables in a warehouse, and supervising kids in a youth centre next to a school.

Tomorrow we`ll continue with his reminiscence of Helsinborgs years...

barSELOna

legend

If he hadn`t left Barca we wouldn`t have had Guddy and wouldn`t have difficulties when Eto'o got injuryed.A nd we paid good money for Guddy. And Im sure we'd be champions if he hadn`t gone. Cuzz Guddy couldn`t back up of Eto'o.Nobarca fan forgot him !

M.L. King

The Preacher
Nice thread Bojan.

Larsson is still one of my favorite Barca players, he left a huge void with his departure.
It's just incredible what he managed to do in such a short time for Barca.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
At Celtic

Larsson was signed by Celtic in 1997 for a fee less than million E. He started his Scotland episode miserably, assisting a ball to an opposition player who went on to score a winning goal. Also in his first Euro Cup game, Larsson scored an own goal. Who would have thought that this Suede from Feynoord would rise to become a legend for Celtic.
After a bumpy start, though, Larsson blended in and helped his team to win both the Scottish League and League Cup in his first season.
A tragic event followed the second year, during Celtic's UEFA Cup clash vs. Lyon, Larsson suffered a horrible injury. His leg was broken in two places and noone thought he`d play pro football ever again.
Still, after 8 months, Larsson made an miraculous recovery and with him again with the team Celtic again began to mount serious challenge to Rangers. In the next four seasons - Celtic won the Scottish League three times. Larsson also won the "Golden Boot" award in 2001. Accolade for Europe's best striker, with 35 league goals.
All in all, Larsson scored 242 goals for Celtic in 315 matches.
During his career in Scotland, with his level of commitment and professionalism, Larsson earned a title " Kinkg of Kings"
His goodbye to Celtic fans was a tearful event. I doubt we`ll ever see that ever again. Mixture of probably the best fans on the continent and Larsson was magic.
And even if I wasn`t the Celtic fan, that event will live in my memory forever.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Larsson decided to stay for one more season at Helsinborg. Wonder if he`ll continue with Sweden...

IraqiCulé

He was extraordinary.

[youtube]jzVNtHS7PYo[/youtube] [youtube]hkxMrXzcelU[/youtube]

Last edited:

roll

Tryin` to be hated
Barca didnt need to sell Giovani, he is very good player and I want him back in Barca
He wanted to leave to get more playing time. We were grateful and let him go.

As for Larsson. I think he is a true legend, not just on the field but outside too. After he left we heard a lot of Barca players praising his spirit.
He isn`t a top class player but he is a master of penalty area a thats why every team would be happy to have him.
He really deserves this thread.

A

aidanrnf

Hey everybody. My name's Aidan and I double up as a massive Celtic fan.

Henrik was such a fantastic player and wonderful professional that his name is still, deservedly, sung at Celtic Park. He showed great loyalty in staying with Celtic for 7 years despite interest from clubs such as Man Utd and it is no coincidence that these were the most successful years in the club's recent history. In fact in light of his decision to play his career out at Helsingborgs it's easy to see Larsson as a man who makes decisions out of a loyalty both to communities that adore him and to providing a stable environment for his family.

Obviously I was delighted when he chose to move to Barca as they've always been my other club!

I'd really run out of words to say about him, so I'll wrap it up by saying that it was a privilege to watch him play.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey everybody. My name's Aidan and I double up as a massive Celtic fan.

Henrik was such a fantastic player and wonderful professional that his name is still, deservedly, sung at Celtic Park. He showed great loyalty in staying with Celtic for 7 years despite interest from clubs such as Man Utd and it is no coincidence that these were the most successful years in the club's recent history. In fact in light of his decision to play his career out at Helsingborgs it's easy to see Larsson as a man who makes decisions out of a loyalty both to communities that adore him and to providing a stable environment for his family.

Obviously I was delighted when he chose to move to Barca as they've always been my other club!

I'd really run out of words to say about him, so I'll wrap it up by saying that it was a privilege to watch him play.

Well said Aidan. He was a true legend. I watched many of his videos during Celtic days and those times really were magical.

Home of Barca Fans