Who are your football icons?

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
1. Xavi. Along with Messi and Andy Dorman he is my favourite player in the world but he is my icon for more than that. We play in the same position, so he is my inpiration.

2. Zidane. I know he played for Madrid but he is probably the first great player I ever clapped eyes on. Class, skill, ability. He was too good.

3. Roy Keane. OK he had a few bad tackles but he is a leader for club and country. One game that stands was an Ireland game. They were playing against Holland and had to win to get to the 2002 World Cup. Holland had great players and didn't play too badly but there was one thing they were missing that Ireland had. Roy Keane in demon mode.

Last edited:

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
I got a PM from someone, I won't name this person, but I totally agree with this person.

Some people seem to have missed the point of this thread. DO NOT NAME YOUR FAVOURITE PLAYERS. Name your footballing icons. There is a major, MAJOR difference.

Sorry how the hell can Messi be an icon to you, unless you are in the age group 4-10.

Guily? Icon why and how.

Please I wanted this to be an interesting thread not one where you name players who are so obviously not icon potential yet.

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
Please I wanted this to be an interesting thread not one where you name players who are so obviously not icon potential yet.

I think it's better put the question on this stage: an Icon must located until middle '90s. don't you agree?

:flagvl8::flagvl8::flagvl8::flagvl8:

S

Snyde

For me there is only Cruyff. There was that thing about him, I've never seen in anyone else. It's odd though that while for many he was a hero among them, for me he is more like a mythical legend. When I see him play, it's so perfect, it makes me teary eyed. Then sometimes, when the play is stopped, the camera will show him giving orders, leading the team from within...

...Then ofcourse is the way he was off the pitch. You can take most any interview he's given and watching it you can't help yourself from thinking that this man was born to be a legend.

To some extent I'd say Dennis Bergkamp, he's the only other player whose football made me feel that way.

House of Flies

all your bases belong to us
materazzi is an icon for me and so are victor valdes and beckham... thats the only people that i can aspire to be like.

R

Red Devil

1. George Best - This player is a legend my dad drilled his videos into me since I was 6 . He was his idol and mine.

2. Cantona - My first United idol a true genuis in my eyes.

3. Keane - Best ever captain a true leader and total loon ball.

4. Ole Gunner Solskear - Provided me with the greatest moment of my football supporting life I couldnt breath from the first goal I almost died with shock at the second . God bless Ole.

5. Scholes - He should of retired like Cantona before he fades away. But other than that he is a total legend.

I think mine is a fair reply eddy all are Icons to me they have shaped my football supporting life.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Those are all fair except for though calling ole gunner an icon??? Likewise Djimi Traore and Vladimir Smicer and Igor Biscan and Jerzy Dudek gave me the second best moment in my life, soon to be tied for second place, but are the icons for me?! no but for that night and that whole run they are legends, so I see the reasoning but I wouldn't go that far to calling ole gunner an icon. Though he may have given you your mosy iconic moment in football, if that makes sense.

The rest of your choices are perfectly fine.

Home of Barca Fans