USA

C

cardigan

the one that signed for ac milan he was big scary guy i would not go near

Oguchi Onyewu. 197 cm :)

they have ambitious players like onyewu, donovan and altidore. i wanted dem to beat brazil in final because USA surprised me a lot during the tournament.

C

cardigan

No I meant from international football.

oh, okay :)

i havent seen him in an international match for a few years. he is retired from national team. their goalkeeper is Tim Howard, the substitute is Keller.

Ish Kabibble

oh, okay :)

i havent seen him in an international match for a few years. he is retired from national team. their goalkeeper is Tim Howard, the substitute is Keller.

Actually Keller is retired from the NT as well. Howard's backup is Brad Guzan, who is being mentored by Friedel at Aston Villa. Guzan is a great young talent.

Glad to see some chat about the USMNT. I'm very proud of the progress they've made since the 1994 World Cup and to see them come back from an awful start in the Confederations Cup to make the semifinal, upset Spain and really take it to Brazil for a half before running out of gas was an amazing thing to see.

I've always said that the sport itself and the quality of our players will continue to grow with each successive generation that has grown up playing the sport in this country. We're leaps and bound ahead of where we were when I was growing up in the 70s. I'm anxious to see where we are another 15 to 20 years from now.

By the way, the USMNT plays Mexico in the final of the CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament today. It's basically the third team playing in this competition (none of the players from the Confederations Cup roster), but I've been pleased with the depth the U.S. program is building. Hopefully we'll get a good result today to raise the trophy for the third straight time. :party00231:

sMiLeYz

Our C/D squad got killed by Mexico in the final 5-0. First loss to Mexico on home soil in 20 years (since 1989).

Q.Q

Ish Kabibble

Our C/D squad got killed by Mexico in the final 5-0. First loss to Mexico on home soil in 20 years (since 1989).

Q.Q

Yeah. Played a good first half, but after that (very questionable) penalty kick they just fell apart. They lost their focus and just couldn't handle Vela, Dos Santos, etc. The regular squad gets a shot Aug. 12 in Mexico (where we don't win, as you know).

B

blueduck

USA are starting to get a decent team. Howard, Dempsey, Donovan, Adu and Johnson.

If they keep developing players, they could have a decent run in the world cup.

Fourteen

Monster Masch
It's crazy stuff really. USA can go from beating Spain and giving Brazil a good match in the Confederations, to go and play a competition that actually matters and lose 5-0 to Mexico in the space of a few weeks. Football is marvelous.

No wonder Giovanni dos Santos wasn't with Tottenham at Wembley. He was gearing up for his man of the match performance against USA. If he makes the right decisions from now on, he'll do well.

BARCA-kt

Honesty, mexico are much much better than USA.. Vela, dos santos, and a lot of them shine at europe.. What about the americans? Adu? ALtidore? Hell..

Ish Kabibble

It's crazy stuff really. USA can go from beating Spain and giving Brazil a good match in the Confederations, to go and play a competition that actually matters and lose 5-0 to Mexico in the space of a few weeks. Football is marvelous.

No wonder Giovanni dos Santos wasn't with Tottenham at Wembley. He was gearing up for his man of the match performance against USA. If he makes the right decisions from now on, he'll do well.

Well, the thing is that not a single one of the players from the Confederations Cup roster played in the match against Mexico yesterday. It was basically the USA's third/fourth level players -- young guys from MLS and a couple of guys who play in Norway. So it would have been an upset had the U.S. won the match. But it was disappointing to see them fall apart like that after playing such a good first half.

Honesty, mexico are much much better than USA.. Vela, dos santos, and a lot of them shine at europe.. What about the americans? Adu? ALtidore? Hell..

Actually neither Vela nor Dos Santos have done much in England. They've barely played and Dos Santos was loaned out to Ipswich in the Championship this spring. Don't get me wrong. I love both Vela and Dos Santos and think they're going to be terrific players in Europe. It's just wrong to say they've "shined" while none of the U.S. players have. The U.S. (which has actually been head and shoulders above Mexico in recent years) has some players who have been very successful in Europe, such as Dempsey, Howard, Bradley and Onyewu (who has just signed for Milan this summer).

Home of Barca Fans