USA

XaviMessiGirl

Only a matter of time before football becomes the number 1 sport in the States.

Don't think it ever will. Not with the popularity of other sports like American football, basketball, baseball. But I'm hoping there's at least a noticeable increase this time, rather than people just liking it for a month and then forgetting about it like usual.

dakt

Well if it cannot surpass baseball in popularity, then I can freely say that yanks have a bad taste for sports.

football will never ever be more popular than baseball, american football or basket ball over there.

i personally hate base ball and american football, though the latter's sheer brutality can be entertaining

Richard.H

Is it not already the top sport in the US for participation?

Only because middle class/ upper middle class white parents get their kids to play soccer in a local team. Once they get to middle school/high school they make their kids play baseball, football, or basketball. Americans don't view soccer as a "manly" sport despite the incredible amount of flopping/playacting you see in the NBA.

Very rarely do you see these kids continuing to pursue soccer. The parents only enroll them in it because in USA it's like a middle class fad to get your kid playing soccer.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
It's also a helluva lot more money if you make it at the big stage in MLB, NFL or NBA.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Compared to European football? Don't think so.
No, compared to football in USA. Its much more attractive and a bigger prestige in playing in NFL for example and college football than what they call soccer there.

Galning

No, compared to football in USA. Its much more attractive and a bigger prestige in playing in NFL for example and college football than what they call soccer there.

Yeah but it's like saying European kids shouldn't play basketball because they can't earn as much money/there's less prestige. European basketball as well isn't at the same level as the NBA, for example. If you look at the top flights of the sports, they all earn about as much. Random football players in Europe even earn more than random players in the NBA.

But honestly speaking I don't know why so many people care about the "popularity" of football in the USA. It's the biggest sport in the world, with or without them.

XaviMessiGirl

Americans like me who like football care though, because it's difficult as hell for me to find people in real life to share one of my favorite hobbies with... not to mention all the ignorant statements I hear. As for non-Americans, maybe they care because they're liking what they're seeing from the NT and want to see more improvement.

Pepe Silvia

Yeah but it's like saying European kids shouldn't play basketball because they can't earn as much money/there's less prestige. European basketball as well isn't at the same level as the NBA, for example. If you look at the top flights of the sports, they all earn about as much. Random football players in Europe even earn more than random players in the NBA.

But honestly speaking I don't know why so many people care about the "popularity" of football in the USA. It's the biggest sport in the world, with or without them.
:facepalm:

dakt

I "care" somewhat, because I love competition.

Americans like me who like football care though, because it's difficult as hell for me to find people in real life to share one of my favorite hobbies with... not to mention all the ignorant statements I hear. As for non-Americans, maybe they care because they're liking what they're seeing from the NT and want to see more improvement.

1) So, can you find homeboys for a match of soccer?
2) Do americans know who Messi is?
3) Do universities have soccer teams?
4) Are you hispanic?

Home of Barca Fans